(by Brian McVickers)
Everyone loves their GPS but we all know that as handy as they are, even the one on your phone, the batteries die and signals can be unavailable or broken. We also know that there is really no substitute for a good old compass and even better, a compass and a map! Regardless of digital advancements the reliability of an analog compass will remain indispensable.
Silva, one of the most well respected and long time compass makers of the world is launching a new collection of compasses for a variety of practical uses, encouraging beginners and servicing experienced expedition travelers.
The New Metro compass comes in vibrant colors and features less information focusing simply on N-S-E-W direction.
The renewed Field compass uses the self-explanatory Silva 1-2-3-system for finding the compass bearing.
For more advanced precision navigation the Silva Expedition compass provides:
- Large mirror with 45° angle assistance and sighting hole for accurate sighting
- Compass housing made from Dryflex™ rubber
- Magnifying lens
- Luminous markings for night navigation
- GPS navigation scales, 1:25k, 1:50k, mm/in
- Adjustment for magnetic declination