PDA

View Full Version : XP Camper

OutbacKamper
12-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Here is just a hint of what is to come:

http://www.xpcamper.com/images/XPCamper.jpg

http://www.xpcamper.com/pages/about.html

A friend has been working hard for some time now on a new expedition camper design. It is a hardside pop-up designed for a full size pickup equipped with a flatbed.

Personally I am pretty excited about this project. They intend to sell complete campers equipped with top of the line components (think mini Earthroamer) and also unfinished shells that can be completed by the DIY type. 3 prototypes are currently being built at an undisclosed location in Northern California. Anyone interested in getting more info can put their name on an e-mail list at the website linked above.

Disclaimer: although the owner of XP Campers is a friend, I have no affiliation with the company, I just thought I would share the news.

Cheers
Mark

kcowyo
12-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Anyone interested in getting more info can put their name on an e-mail list at the website linked above.

Done!

Thanks for posting the link Mark. A very interesting looking concept...

OutbacKamper
12-18-2007, 01:45 AM
Here is another view;

http://www.expeditionportal.com/images/albums/userpics/10003/normal_XPTENT01.jpg

VikingVince
12-18-2007, 03:28 AM
Thanks Mark...I added my name to the email list as well. I really hope they succeed. I want one! It would be nice if they could bring it in well under Earthroamer prices.

offroadchef
12-18-2007, 03:59 AM
Anyone interested in getting more info can put their name on an e-mail list at the website linked above.

Done

Christian P.
12-18-2007, 04:10 AM
Hello everyone

I have had the chance to meet Mark's friend and I can testify of his complete dedication to this project. We spent a few hours discussing this configuration and I can assure you that he is very well aware of our needs.

I think we are going to like the final product - personally I can't wait..

:)

Carlyle
12-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Very nice, too bad I'm already building.

boblynch
12-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Mark,

Any idea when the first prototype will be ready for testing? Is it being designed to fit a specific truck platform OR be flexible enough to mate to any full size truck? Also, do you know the projected fresh water tank size?

Can't wait to see the progress.

Bob

OutbacKamper
12-31-2007, 12:21 AM
Mark,

Any idea when the first prototype will be ready for testing? Is it being designed to fit a specific truck platform OR be flexible enough to mate to any full size truck? Also, do you know the projected fresh water tank size?

Can't wait to see the progress.

Bob

Bob;
I don't know the answer to any of these questions with 100% certainty. I do know that the original design called for a 60gal water tank, and that the flatbed and camper would be designed to fit any full size truck, but these specs are obviously all subject to change.

I would expect to hear more about the first prototypes in the early spring.

Cheers
Mark

Ruffin' It
01-02-2008, 08:25 PM
If that thing has a cab-to-camper pass through, I think it'd be about perfect. That's my big hand up right now. Being able to let my dogs roam around back and still come up and say "hi" to me is at the very top of my list of non-negotiables.

boblynch
01-02-2008, 08:58 PM
I think the plan is for the camper to be removable so that the truck and flatbed may be used w/o the camper. Not sure about cab-access windows and/or pass thru options. We travel with a large dog (95+lbs) and are very interested to see the XP prototype.

Iíve also been researching pass-thru options for a removable camper. Bimobil in Germany (bimobil.com) offers this type of setup. Not sure of any others.

Bob

Lynn
01-02-2008, 09:12 PM
I did some daydreaming about demountable truck campers a while back. I also want a full-sized pass-through, and one thought I had was to attach a sleeper to the flatbed that would mate to the cab in the same fashion as the camper.

Just a thought.

Iíve also been researching pass-thru options for a removable camper. Bimobil in Germany (bimobil.com) offers this type of setup. Not sure of any others.

Bob

Bob, I've been on bimobil's site a few times, and haven't seen any pix of the pass-through. Can you tell me which model it was on?

Thanks,

OutbacKamper
01-02-2008, 10:29 PM
If that thing has a cab-to-camper pass through, I think it'd be about perfect. That's my big hand up right now. Being able to let my dogs roam around back and still come up and say "hi" to me is at the very top of my list of non-negotiables.

I would think that the only type of pass-thru possible would be thru the truck cab window and thru a front window on the camper, just like any conventional truck camper. This may be ok for a small dog but not very easy access for an adult except in an emergency.

Cheers
Mark

OutbacKamper
01-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Lynn;
Here is a photo from www.bimobile.de showing the bellows and passthru on the camper:
http://www.bimobil.de/english/wechselvorrichtung/galerie/wechsel/04.jpg

Octamog
01-16-2008, 04:59 AM
I contacted Marc at XPCamper to see if he would let me come by and see the progress he was making on his camper. I knew he was somewhere in N. California. When I asked where in N. California, imagine my surprise when I found his shop was (according to Mapquest) 2.1 miles from my house!

He invited me to come visit and I took the opportunity yesterday. We spoke for quite awhile and explored the possibility of building a custom version for the Octamog. I've been thinking about the possibility of using a "production" camper for the Octamog to expedite the completion of the truck. Marc and his crew seem to think that building a "stretched" (in multiple dimensions) of the XP Camper would be possible. We coined it XP-XXL and I took a little time to redraw a rendering of the Octamog as it might look with an XP-XXL camper in place of the composite box it currently has:

before:
http://octamog.smugmug.com/photos/24483124-M.jpg

after:
http://octamog.smugmug.com/photos/243962272-M.jpg

The camper would have to be lifted considerably off the bed to clear the cab of the Octamog, but it would provide a basement for extensive external storage and additional water tanks. It would also shorten the total length of the truck by two feet and height by 18 inches, but by virtue of having a cab-over sleeper the usable interior volume would increase. I'm excited at the possibility and will keep an eye on Marc's progress in the future!

Colorado Ron
01-16-2008, 05:06 AM
before:
http://octamog.smugmug.com/photos/24483124-M.jpg

after:
http://octamog.smugmug.com/photos/243962272-M.jpg

That looks like a good possibility! I like it!

Scott Brady
01-16-2008, 05:14 AM
This is VERY exciting... Nothing like seeing a new marketplace emerge before our very eyes, huh? :wings:

rideglobally
01-16-2008, 06:38 AM
Here is just a hint of what is to come:

http://www.xpcamper.com/images/XPCamper.jpg

http://www.xpcamper.com/pages/about.html

A friend has been working hard for some time now on a new expedition camper design. It is a hardside pop-up designed for a full size pickup equipped with a flatbed.

Personally I am pretty excited about this project. They intend to sell complete campers equipped with top of the line components (think mini Earthroamer) and also unfinished shells that can be completed by the DIY type. 3 prototypes are currently being built at an undisclosed location in Northern California. Anyone interested in getting more info can put their name on an e-mail list at the website linked above.

Disclaimer: although the owner of XP Campers is a friend, I have no affiliation with the company, I just thought I would share the news.

Cheers
Mark

here is my link http://web.mac.com/sinag/globalcruiser/globalcruiser/globalcruiser.html i am currently trying to find someone that can build the camper shell, i have already send him an email. wonder what is the cost of finish and unfinished shell. what is a DYI?

boblynch
01-16-2008, 01:24 PM
DIY stands for "do it yourself". It sounds like the XP Camper will be offered as a completed unit and also as a DIY shell. Depending on final dimensions and requirements either might be a fit for your cruiser. If not you may consider one of the popup truck camper (Outfitter, Hallmark, etc.).

The XP-XXL version discussed for the Octamog might make a nice standard model for the Fuso, Mog, etc.

How far along are they are on the prototypes? Any impressions on the roof system or other major features?

Lynn
01-16-2008, 02:34 PM
...We coined it XP-XXL and I took a little time to redraw a rendering of the Octamog as it might look with an XP-XXL camper in place of the composite box it currently has:

That looks like a really good rig.

I'm curious, though about the tilt cab, and how that would work with the over-cab sleeping area?

I don't know much, but it seems to me you wouldn't want to have to demount the camper every time you need to access the engine. The slickest approach I have seen was one for sale in Australia* that had the camper mounted on a tilt tray. That way you could tilt the camper back far enough to allow enough clearance for the cab to tilt forward.

Here's (http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10701) a thread I started on it.

*Aren't most of the cool rigs in Australia?

kcowyo
01-16-2008, 02:39 PM
*Aren't most of the cool rigs in Australia?

Australia or Arizona from what I've seen.

Lynn
01-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Australia or Arizona from what I've seen.

Or WalMart.

I just saw a rig from Germany parked in the local WalMart parking lot. Sorry, didn't have my camera. :(

TACODOC
03-02-2008, 06:13 PM
I cant wait to see one of the full production units! :lurk:

geodasher
03-03-2008, 03:07 PM
A section for the XPCamper (http://www.natcoa-forum.com/index.php?showtopic=8014&pid=2909676&st=0&#entry2909676) has been started in the NATCOA forum with some details. Production may start around May. A promising concept!

haven
03-04-2008, 02:44 AM
Now that Marc Wassman has gone public with more information about his XP Camper, here is my take on this exciting new product.

The XP Camper is a plastic composite shell with pop-up top. The camper provides seating and sleeping space for two to four people.

The pop-up has permanent hard sides except for the cab-over. The cab-over has fabric sides attached so you can raise and lower the top without letting dirt and water in. Three hard panels can be swung down from the ceiling of the cab-over to cover the fabric when you want more protection.

Wet weight of the camper is estimated at 2000 lbs. That number does not include your gear, food, and toys. I think the flatbed and side boxes will weigh more than a pickup box, as well. So I think it's wise to consider a 2500-series truck to carry this much weight. (sorry, Tundra fans!)

The XP Camper is designed for a full-size, long bed truck. Dimensions are marginally bigger and 300 lbs heavier than the Four Wheel Campers "Keystone," 4WC's largest model. The XP Camper is noticeably smaller than most other manufacturers' models for full-size trucks. (This is a good thing!)

The camper is 8.75 ft long, so it should be carried on an 8 to 9 ft long flatbed. The camper is completely self-contained, and can be removed from the truck quickly and easily. Sealed storage boxes mounted below the sides of the flatbed add significantly to storage space.

The camper will have diesel powered cooktop, cabin heat and hot water. Onboard water capacity is 60 gallons fresh, 25 gallons grey, and a cassette toilet. The camper will have the capability to filter and treat its fresh water intake.

Camper electric power is provided by a bank of AGM batteries. An inverter provides 110V AC for devices that need it. An alternator will recharge the batteries, with solar panel assist. The refrigerator is 12V DC.

Price tag, including installation of the flatbed and storage boxes, is expected to be $60,000. I think this is a bargain considering the first-rate materials and equipment used in the XP Camper. Add $35,000 for a new 2500 series 4x4 truck, and you have a world-class expedition camper for a total just under $100K.

Chip Haven

OutbacKamper
03-04-2008, 04:08 AM
Chip;
A very well written and concise summary of xp camper features as we have come to expect from you.
However I think one fact needs to be clarified. Although the latest specs and drawings from XP show an 8'9" flatbed, this is actually mounted on a short box truck (look at the amount of rear overhang). Until recently Marc had planned to have a removeable section at the rear (approx 1'9" IIRC) to return the truck to a short bed when required. However I don't see any mention of this in the latest specs.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/images/albums/userpics/10003/normal_XP_Specifications_08_03.jpg
I think the lighter coloured portion at the rear with the 45 degree angle is intended to be removable

Cheers
Mark

haven
03-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Here's one example of a Four Wheel Camper "Eagle" model, which is designed for a full-length bed, installed on a short bed truck. Notice how much of the camper sits behind the rear axle.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z241/expeditioncampers/bigcampersmalltruck1.jpg

This particular setup seems to work OK. There are more photos of the truck and camper in action at http://www.mrjohnson.org/FWC.html

The XP Camper is almost twice as heavy as the "Eagle" model, and we don't know the weight distribution. If you want to put an XP Camper on a short bed truck, you'll need to be careful that the center of gravity is in front of the rear axle!

Chip Haven

OutbacKamper
03-06-2008, 12:59 AM
If you want to put an XP Camper on a short bed truck, you'll need to be careful that the center of gravity is in front of the rear axle!
Chip Haven

Very true, but there are other even longer and heavier campers on the market for short box trucks, such as the 8'11" Northern Lite Queen Classic Special Edition (dry weight: 2050 lb + options)

http://www.northern-lite.com/graphics/811seqclassic.jpg

And the 8'9" long XP could be mounted on a long box truck if you were concerned about the weight distribution, since the bottom is completely flat, unlike the NL pictured above.

Cheers
Mark

boblynch
03-06-2008, 02:02 AM
There are a few shortbed TCs that fall into this category. In most cases the weight distribution of the inside components is low and forward. The bigger problem would be all the heavy stuff folks lash to the outside (e.g., jerry cans, extra propane, bikes, spare tires, folding stairs, etc.).

Bob

The Adam Blaster
03-06-2008, 02:51 PM
I emailed Marc a few times over the last week or so, and he mentioned that the first prototype would be finished within "weeks".
He said that they tooled the shop to be ready for production basically as soon as the proto is done.
Which i thought was both pretty cool for the market, and a smart business decision. :D

I'm really looking forward to seeing the end product, and the reviews by the first few buyers.

jayshapiro
03-28-2008, 04:03 AM
Hi Guys,

Just want to add my vote of confidence for the XPCamper.

I've known Marc for a while now and he is somebody who is knowledgeable and passionate about expedition travel. I think he's got a very good design, and it could really fit a nice gap that exists in the market.

I have personally seen his first prototype in San Francisco and was very impressed with the quality of work so far. Sure, this first one is purely hand built and they're spending a ton of time on it, but the care and quality of the shaping for the mold was pretty amazing.

Good luck to Marc. I'm sure there will be a lot of us that would be interested in a new viable option to the 40yr old Alaskan design, or the plywood consumer RV TC's.

Cheers,
Jay.

Lynn
05-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Still no updates on their site. Is this thing really going to happen? Inquiring minds want to know!

Christian P.
05-29-2008, 04:14 PM
yes it's going to. I spoke with Marc a couple days ago and he sounded pretty excited.

But it's an ambitious project so we need to be patient...

Lynn
05-29-2008, 04:22 PM
yes it's going to. I spoke with Marc a couple days ago and he sounded pretty excited.

But it's an ambitious project so we need to be patient...

How 'bout some 'spy' photos?

jayshapiro
06-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Yes, it is definitely for real. I have seen it 'in the flesh' with my own eyes.

I'm sure Marc is lurking out there somewhere, so I'll leave it to him to post when he's ready to show the world. It will be pretty exciting when it does go public though. He's got some great ideas put into a practical package.

If he can get the commercial elements right, then I think this could have a pretty big impact on the market.

Cheers,
Jay.

Octamog
06-03-2008, 12:35 AM
How 'bout some 'spy' photos?

I could show you some spy photos... but then I'd have to :ar15: you!

Marc is pulling the first pieces out of the molds, and starting the interior on the prototype. I actually put foot inside "001" this morning! :wings:

Lynn
06-03-2008, 02:40 AM
I actually put foot inside "001" this morning! :wings:

Bragger. :)

Octamog
06-03-2008, 03:08 AM
Bragger. :)
:wavey:

BruceNP
07-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Any updates on progress yet?

john difool
09-13-2008, 02:53 AM
there's an austrian company who builds that kinda design/concept since quite a while. www.geocar.com

haven
09-13-2008, 03:07 AM
Geocar is interesting -- thanks for posting the link.

The XP Camper will be considerably larger than the Geocar
designs. It will fit on a full-size truck chassis. And I
didn't see a pop-up roof on the Geocar. That's a
big part of the appeal of the XP Camper.

Lynn
09-13-2008, 03:08 AM
there's an austrian company who builds that kinda design/concept since quite a while. www.geocar.com

I hadn't seen the Geocar site before. Thanks.

However, I see a big difference between the two. The Geocar is a softside tilt top. The XP is a hardside 'shoe box' type.

But now that you mention it, when are we going to get an update on the XP???????

john difool
09-14-2008, 02:22 AM
yes pop-up... can't post a pic for some reason (firefox?) - check the "guanacco" for example. but yeah, it's smaller and it's a soft side. i talked to that austrian guy, seems globalxvehicles is gonna build the guanacco for the usa in the future (s' gonna fit on a 1.gen taco).

Lynn
09-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Anybody got any news? I check the web site periodically, and nothing has changed.

Christian P.
09-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Lynn,

Work is still in progress. I was over at Marc's house for a BBQ a couple weeks ago. We got to chat a lot. Project is coming along nicely.
I am also super anxious to see the final result.

I'll let him give you a better update when he feels it's appropriate...

thanks

Christian

18seeds
11-03-2008, 04:06 AM
any updates?

astn
11-30-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm also interested in some more information, or links to other forums with additional info. My google-fu is usually pretty good, but it seems to be failing me at the moment. I did email them, but I don't expect a manufacturer to actually get back to every message, at least not until they are actually open for business.

Austin

Lynn
12-29-2008, 12:45 AM
A revolution in truck camper design coming in 2008!

Don't look like they're gonna make it...

Christian P.
12-29-2008, 12:52 AM
I know Mark still working on it - his shop is close to ours.
I guess progress has been a bit slower than expected.

Lynn
03-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Finally!!! An update on their web site!!

Before:

A revolution in truck camper design coming in 2008!

Now:

A revolution in truck camper design coming in 2009!

Otherwise, anybody got any news?

mcgovski
03-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Lynn
I emailed with Marc the other day and he told me he was putting on the trimmings...so I would assume that the Xpcamper is functional and just getting the final touches...hopefully it would be much longer...

Chris

18seeds
03-14-2009, 06:12 PM
emailed with marc. I think we should start seeing sneak peaks in the next month :)

bigreen505
03-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Looking forward to it!

MojaveGSA
03-16-2009, 09:09 PM
pst pst...:costumed-smiley-007ahem is this thing on?

sell the camper only too...lots of people already have trucks to put em on....

Christian P.
04-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Look what i saw on the freeway yesterday...

http://www.pbase.com/2aroundtheworld/image/110962194/medium.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/2aroundtheworld/image/110962244/medium.jpg

kcowyo
04-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Christian, thanks.

Been waiting a long time it seems for a glimpse of the XP Camper. I recall signing up for the email progress notifications but never received one. From the pics though it looks to have a lot of potential. I'm guessing the entry door must be on the other side...?

Capt Eddie
04-05-2009, 06:54 PM
No. The entry door is the window on the side.. It is a long way up.

Northern Explorer
04-05-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm guessing the entry door must be on the other side...?

I do believe that is the door on the passenger side. Check out their website and you can see how the whole top half lifts up to reveal a full size door. From the spy photo it looks like some entrance steps might pull out from underneath the door.

18seeds
04-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Entry door is def on the passenger side. It has a pretty slick step set up also.

Nice sneak peak. I got an email from Marc this weekend said he just got it on the road for the first time. Are you stalking him...haha

haven
04-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks, Christian! And congratulations, Marc! The photos show a
camper that looks to be built to a high standard. I hope Marc can
bring the camper to the Overland ExPo (hint, hint!)

Here's how the door is supposed to work

http://www.xpcamper.com/images/Photo_XPCamper2.jpg

I like the ability to open the top 1/3 of the door while keeping the
lower part closed, sort of a "dutch door."

I also like the flatbed the camper is sitting on. Remove the camper,
and you've got a useful cargo carrier.

milo12
04-06-2009, 12:45 AM
That would look nice on my Dodge.

Any idea how much they will cost?

The Adam Blaster
04-06-2009, 03:07 AM
Just the other day I was re-reading an article in a year old (maybe older?) Overland Journal and saw the little blurb about the XP camper and wondered how it was coming...
It looks pretty darn good in those spy photos! :luxhello:
I'd say even better in person than the little graphics on the website. Now we just have to wait for the interior shots. :D
Hopefully it will sleep at least 2 adults and 2 little ones? :wink: :wink:

KEENO
04-06-2009, 03:22 AM
Awesome Design... Definitely, for Quad/Crew Cab trucks only... I assume.

KEENO:)

OutbacKamper
04-06-2009, 05:56 AM
That would look nice on my Dodge.

Any idea how much they will cost?

From rv.net, posted by "its really me" (aka Marc W):

"A fully loaded camper including the flat bed and its storage boxes will be under $60K."
http://www.rv.net/forum/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/20736981/srt/pa/pging/1/page/7.cfm

Cheers
Mark

Octamog
04-07-2009, 12:03 AM
There may or may not be a rare sighting between Northern Ca. and an undisclosed place in Arizona, if you happen to be in the right spot at the right time. :smiley_drive:

You didn't hear that from me... ;)

Christian P.
04-07-2009, 02:03 AM
I may or may not have heard the same thing....

OutbacKamper
04-20-2009, 01:55 PM
As mentioned in another thread, the XP camper prototype will be on display at the Overland Expo (April 24-26), Prescott Arizona, in the "featured vehicles" section.

Northern Explorer
04-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Nice pictures!!!

Questions:

Does the dinette turn into a second bed?

How does the roof rise up? Is it like an Alaskan Camper?

OutbacKamper
04-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Nice pictures!!!

Questions:

Does the dinette turn into a second bed?

Yes

How does the roof rise up? Is it like an Alaskan Camper?

I think it uses two electric actuators, while Alaskan uses 4 hydrallic lifts, but I don't know any details.

Cheers
Mark

haven
04-20-2009, 08:10 PM
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z241/expeditioncampers/XPCamper-10-1.jpg

From the photo above we can see that the XPCamper's departure angle
is not very great. The rear of the flatbed may touch the ground when
making the transition from flat ground to steep uphill.

Personally, I have no problem with this. I'd gladly trade some rear
clearance for the extra space in the interior of the camper. Others may
prefer a design with a shorter rear overhang that maximizes clearance
at the expense of space in the camper.

It will be interesting to find out if the builder, Marc, has plans to make
the camper available for use on a pickup with standard cab. That would
allow the flatbed and camper to be mounted farther forward, reducing
rear overhang.

Each camper design has its strengths and shortcomings. It's a matter
of choosing what features are important for your intended use.

Chip Haven

MojaveGSA
04-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Please sell just the shells too Marc!! I think you would find there is market for em!! :smiley_drive:

Octamog
04-20-2009, 09:41 PM
I think it uses two electric actuators, while Alaskan uses 4 hydrallic lifts, but I don't know any details.

The prototype uses two hydraulic actuators, but I believe he is going to use one at each corner for the production model.

XPCamper
04-21-2009, 04:28 AM
Please sell just the shells too Marc!! I think you would find there is market for em!! :smiley_drive:

That would be a challenge.
Since the shell is made out of foam core, there is no way you can srew or install any thing into it.
In the prototype i had to install quite a few plates to mount stuff on.
The next one will have all mounting points molded in since i know now where they go.

Joaquin Suave
04-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Congradulation Marc!

Look'n GREAT!

milo12
04-23-2009, 01:37 AM
XP camper - What does the camper weigh?

dzzz
04-23-2009, 03:21 AM
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z241/expeditioncampers/XPCamper-10-1.jpg

From the photo above we can see that the XPCamper's departure angle
is not very great. The rear of the flatbed may touch the ground when
making the transition from flat ground to steep uphill.

Personally, I have no problem with this. I'd gladly trade some rear
clearance for the extra space in the interior of the camper. Others may
prefer a design with a shorter rear overhang that maximizes clearance
at the expense of space in the camper.

It will be interesting to find out if the builder, Marc, has plans to make
the camper available for use on a pickup with standard cab. That would
allow the flatbed and camper to be mounted farther forward, reducing
rear overhang.

Each camper design has its strengths and shortcomings. It's a matter
of choosing what features are important for your intended use.

Chip Haven

The truck doesn't look level. A bit of lift and leveling will help. But it is more truck camper and less expedition than what most people here are doing.

I do like these campers being designed for flatbeds. There's plenty of slid in makers to choose from.

allochris
04-23-2009, 03:35 AM
That would be a challenge.
Since the shell is made out of foam core, there is no way you can srew or install any thing into it.
In the prototype i had to install quite a few plates to mount stuff on.
The next one will have all mounting points molded in since i know now where they go.

That's a bummer!!! :ylsmoke:

The truck doesn't look level. A bit of lift and leveling will help. But it is more truck camper and less expedition than what most people here are doing.

Ya, but how many people on this board actually spend $60000 on a camper "and" wheel a fully loaded camper in "extreme" condition???

MojaveGSA
04-23-2009, 11:11 AM
In the prototype i had to install quite a few plates to mount stuff on. The next one will have all mounting points molded in since i know now where they go.

Then maybe consider selling those? Just a thought.

I think what your have designed/built is great. I love all of the features...but they all add cost. IMO priced at 50-60K is worth it (every penny), but it assumes you have the money to pay twice that of other lesser models. Not many people do, so they have to compromise. Kinda like the Earth Roamers, who doesn't love everything about them--except the sticker price. Again I am not saying they are not worth it, because they are. They are just not feasible for many folks.

What you have done on the other hand is allow for the person who already has their own truck to build on it. Get to that level in stages...

Again just a thought. I love the idea though.

OutbacKamper
04-23-2009, 04:02 PM
I have to say that I agree with MojaveGSA. The XP would appeal to a much larger potential customer base if a somewhat less expensive shell model was available. I know this was the original intent with the XP.

I was very glad to be able to buy a shell model 4wheel Hawk Camper and finish the interior myself. I would not have bought the finished camper version, if that was the only choice.

A good compromise would be to sell a shell with the lift system and external windows & doors installed. The purchaser could finish the interior themselves. A lot of the expensive components could be added later, like stove, fridge, batteries, heaters, solar, etc.

I will do my best to convince Marc (XPCamper) when I see him at the Overland Expo, that a shell model would make sense.

18seeds
04-23-2009, 10:40 PM
I will do my best to convince Marc (XPCamper) when I see him at the Overland Expo, that a shell model would make sense.

Just buy him a few beers and i'm sure he can convinced.

Just got off the phone with Marc. He got a new bumper. Somebody get me a pic of it please. I am considering the same for my truck

MojaveGSA
04-24-2009, 10:26 AM
A good compromise would be to sell a shell with the lift system and external windows & doors installed. The purchaser could finish the interior themselves. A lot of the expensive components could be added later, like stove, fridge, batteries, heaters, solar, etc.

Egggzactly.

Again, I would buy one in a minute if I won the lottery, hell I might buy two...but the odds of that are pretty slim.

milo12
04-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Does anyone know what the XP Camper weighs?

In give another vote for a shell model. Does the $60,000 price include the aluminum flatbed?

bigreen505
04-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Planning an interview with Mark and the XP Camper for the Overland Expo Youtube channel. If you could ask him anything, what would it be? We'll probably tape it this afternoon or tomorrow.

haven
04-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Just for the record,

Marc Wassmann (Marc with a "c") is the creator and builder of the XPCamper.

Mark Stephens (Mark with a "k") is an enthusiastic overland traveler, and the person who started this thread.

milo12
04-29-2009, 05:06 PM
So now that the expo is over do we have any more information?

Weight?
Price?
Whats included?
etc...

OutbacKamper
04-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Just for the record,

Marc Wassmann (Marc with a "c") is the creator and builder of the XPCamper.

Mark Stephens (Mark with a "k") is an enthusiastic overland traveler, and the person who started this thread.

Thanks for the clarification Chip, however I would like to clarify even further:

Marc Wassmann (Marc with a "c") is the creator and builder of the XPCamper
screen name: XPCamper

Mark Stephens (Mark with a "k", Stephens with a "ph") is a forum member
screen name: "Articulate"

Mark Stevens (Mark with a "k", Stevens with a "v") is an enthusiastic overland traveler, and the person who started this thread
screen name: "OutbacKamper"

I would also like to add that although I am a friend and enthusiastic supporter or Marc and his XP Camper, I am not affiliated in any official way with XP Campers. However I did try to help Marc at the recent Expo Portal by handing out information and answering questions when Marc was not available. So you can assume that I am bias toward the product but any information I may provide on this or other posts is "unofficial" and subject to correction.

haven
04-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Mark, my apologies. --Chip

OutbacKamper
04-29-2009, 08:58 PM
No apology is necessary Chip. I can't remember how many times someone has got Mark and Marc or Stevens and Stephens mixed up. It is no big deal, but can tend to get confusing when several people are mentioned together with these similar names.

OutbacKamper
04-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Here is a link to a video interview with Marc at XP by Bill Green aka: bigreen505 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj7gYRruqnw

OutbacKamper
04-30-2009, 02:29 AM
Here are a few pics from Death Valley the day after Overland Expo.

dzzz
04-30-2009, 04:21 AM
Anyone know the CA (cab to axle) for the camper? Looks like a thoughtful design.

XPCamper
04-30-2009, 04:35 AM
Anyone know the CA (cab to axle) for the camper? Looks like a thoughtful design.

You choose the truck.
I just build the camper and supply the flatbed.
IMO the short bed is a great platform for some more adventurous exploring.

The truck in the pic is a 05 Dodge short bed.

dzzz
04-30-2009, 12:58 PM
I was thinking the boxes below the camper were part of the package. I see now that these were painted to match. A crew cab shot bed looks ideal.

milo12
04-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Hi XPcamper.

I'll ask this again since you may have missed it.

Weight?
Price?
Whats included?
etc...

If the answer is I don't know please let us know when you get the info together.

XPCamper
04-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Hi XPcamper.

I'll ask this again since you may have missed it.

Weight?
Price?
Whats included?
etc...

If the answer is I don't know please let us know when you get the info together.

Weight?
1500-1800 lbs ( depends on the final materials)

Price? Around 70 k including flatbed

Whats included? Every thing you need and nothing you don't
etc... I'll have the final answers soon

XPCamper
04-30-2009, 09:02 PM
It was a tight fit....:, but we did it

:victory:

XPCamper
04-30-2009, 09:15 PM
:wings:
that was a lot of fun.

Special thanks to Christian ( 2aroundtheworld) for kicking my behind to come out to the EXPO.

milo12
04-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the info.:drool:

Weight seems very reasonable.

Love the pictures. Being a Dodge owner I enjoy seeing them on the trail.

To put the price in perspective. My Outfitter was $37,000 new. Outfitter has a new popup camper, and it is over $40,000. It does not come with a flatbed and it also has typical inferior RV parts.

XPCamper
04-30-2009, 09:49 PM
I know that the XPC won't be inexpensive.
But a lot has to do with the construction method.
It's the only fully composite pop up camper ever build,no wood or staples are used.
It has all marine grade appliances, all stainless hardware etc.

It is also the 1st removable camper which has all diesel appliances, as far as i know.

XPCamper
05-01-2009, 10:28 PM
I have updated the website with some more info on it.

www.xpcamper.com

Northern Explorer
05-02-2009, 01:13 AM
Great update to the site!!!

In the XP Camper Prototype 1.1 Specifications (PDF) under "power supplies" is it supposed to read 120 volts?

If I was in the market for a full size overland truck, this would be the camper I would put on it.

XPCamper
05-02-2009, 01:45 AM
Great update to the site!!!

In the XP Camper Prototype 1.1 Specifications (PDF) under "power supplies" is it supposed to read 110 volts?

Ups, thanks for pointing it out!!!

If I was in the market for a full size overland truck, this would be the camper I would put on it.

Thanks

haven
05-03-2009, 05:08 AM
Here is the text of the specifications Marc posted.

--------------------

XPCAMPER the eXpanding eXploration camper

http://www.xpcamper.com

Prototype 1.1
Specifications April 2009
Specifications subject to change

Flat Bed
• Aluminum construction
• Weather-tight storage boxes
• XPCamper quick releaseTM
• Built-in sidebars double as sand ladders and work bench (option)

Camper Body
• Seamless monocoque composite shell reinforced with carbon fibers and Kevlar
• Wall thickness 1.5 in.
• Marine-grade synthetic teak flooring
• Entry door has no lip for easy cleaning
• Entrance door and storage doors constructed of fiberglass composite panels and frames
• Stainless steel hinges throughout
• Safety cylinder locks all keyed alike

Interior Layout
• Inner dimensions of the cabin
....Length Overall 170” (14’-2”) Including cabover bed area
....Length Excluding bed area 105” (8’-9”)
....Width 82”
....Height, roof raised 80”
• Seating area for 2-4 people
• Seating unit converts to additional bed

Bed area
• Queen-size bed and comfortable mattress above the cab
• Size: 60” x 80”
• Reading lights
• Storage for books etc.

Windows
• Double insulated acrylic windows with thermal insulated aluminum frames
• Shades and mosquito nets

Skylight
• Escape hatch with aluminum frame 44” x 20”

Bathroom
• Combined stand-up shower/toilet room
• Electric cassette toilet

Kitchen
• Countertop with undercounter stainless steel sink
• Single handle faucet for warm and cold water
• Foot operated sink faucet for minimal water waste
• Diesel powered ceramic top stove
• Microwave oven
• TJ 4.2 cubic foot DC refrigerator with freezer compartment and crisper bin
• Kitchen cabinets with locking drawers on ball bearings
• Overhead cupboards

Storage
• Outside storage compartment under the seat pedestal
• Under floor storage for cans
• Over 50 cu. ft. of storage (flatbed and camper combined)

Upholstery
• High grade foam with removable covers
• Commercial grade fabric power Supplies

Power Supply
• Control panel for power management and monitoring of liquid levels
• Battery main switch, safety cut-out, residual current breaker
• DC power supplied by AGM battery bank
• Battery capacity: 12V 420 amps
• Inverter 2000 watt pure sine wave
• Solar panel 12V 330 watts
• Power outlets for 12V DC and 110V AC

Lighting
• Low voltage LED ceiling lights
• Xenon lighting in kitchen
• Lights for outside storage compartment
• Reading lights in bed and seating area
• Two built-in HID lights for exploration in the dark
• Switch for HIDs on the interior of camper for emergency lighting
• Built-in floodlights for safe parking at night

Water supply
• 80 gallon freeze-proof drinking water tanks
• 25 gallon gray water tank
• Stainless steel water faucets in kitchen and bath
• All plumbing insulated
• Outside shower and hose
• Water filtration system with pump

Heating system
• Webasto Dual Top
• Hydronic heat and hot water supply with built-in 3 gallon diesel tank

Audio system (optional)
• iPod hook up
• Speakers
• Optional LCD TV/DVD player

Estimated price
To be determined

For more information contact Marc Wassmann
email marc@xpcamper.com
phone 415-672-1504

The Adam Blaster
05-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Along with the other dimensions that have been posted to the site, what are the overall dimensions of the unit/truck combined?
Width of the camper is posted, but what about overall length and height?

Do you feel that with the lower center of gravity of the unit that it would be safe/acceptable to give the truck a lift, no more than say 6 inches?

theMec
05-06-2009, 04:26 AM
Do you feel that with the lower center of gravity of the unit that it would be safe/acceptable to give the truck a lift, no more than say 6 inches?

Larger tires are easy (if you have the HP) but a 6" lift would change the geometry of the front end components big time. Add a heavy camper, drive at highway speeds and .. well too risky for me.

XPCamper
05-06-2009, 05:18 AM
Along with the other dimensions that have been posted to the site, what are the overall dimensions of the unit/truck combined?
Width of the camper is posted, but what about overall length and height?

The camper is 8"9", the over all length depends on what kind of truck you have.

Same with the height.

Don't know about a 6" lift, i am a fan of no more than 2" ( or leveling kit) with some bigger tires.

So far have gone places with that set up i shouldn't :sombrero:

But then again I always had some good spotters as well...

XPCamper
05-23-2009, 03:14 AM

You got it :victory:
There might be some limitations of where you can mount stuff and the windows, doors and skylights all have to be in the shell model.

Gear
07-12-2009, 01:25 AM
Here are a couple of photographs of the XP Camper on the Pismo Dunes. It was really cool seeing Marc enjoying the dunes. This XP Camper went everywhere.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm251/justinpitcairn/Central%20Coast%20Meet%20and%20Greet%2009/DSC_3254.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm251/justinpitcairn/Central%20Coast%20Meet%20and%20Greet%2009/DSC_3255.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm251/justinpitcairn/Central%20Coast%20Meet%20and%20Greet%2009/DSC_3268.jpg

Northern Explorer
07-12-2009, 06:49 AM
Here are a couple of photographs of the XP Camper on the Pismo Dunes. It was really cool seeing Marc enjoying the dunes. This XP Camper went everywhere.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm251/justinpitcairn/Central%20Coast%20Meet%20and%20Greet%2009/DSC_3255.jpg

You need to put that one on your web site Marc.

XPCamper
07-12-2009, 02:35 PM
You need to put that one on your web site Marc.

working on it!!! :sombrero:

Justin did an outstanding job taken those shots, thank you!

Check out the write up XPCamper got.

http://blogs.rvmagonline.com/6562883/editorials/xp-camper/index.html

Carlyle
07-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Nice publicity!

Pest
08-11-2009, 03:35 AM
Any updates? When do we get to buy them! :drool:

Red Zebra
08-31-2009, 11:07 PM
Any updates? When do we get to buy them! :drool:

As soon as I get my kids out of boarding school and then college, "we" get to buy one. :sombrero: Sigh.

Real nice set-up! Looks great on that Dodge.

HenryJ
08-31-2009, 11:29 PM
Check out the write up XPCamper got.
http://blogs.rvmagonline.com/6562883/editorials/xp-camper/index.htmlNice looking Camper.
What are the orange stack-able blocks used as a wheel chock and to level the ladder?

Image from article (http://image.rvmagonline.com/f/editorials/xp-camper/22413809+cr1+re0+ar1/overland-xp-camper.jpg)

They look like big Legos?

EDIT: I think I found them : Lynx Levelers (http://www.lynxlevelers.com/lynx_levelers.html) Those really do look handy.

The Adam Blaster
11-26-2009, 03:41 AM
I'm curious if there have been any recent updates, or developments with the XP?
Any more info on pricing or production/release dates?

Octamog
11-27-2009, 05:41 AM
I exchanged email messages with Marc last week. He is currently building the 1st production XP at an undisclosed location in N. CA. :snorkel:

I'm sure he'd be more than happy to talk to you about specifics -- his email address can be found on his website (xpcamper.com (http://www.xpcamper.com)).

Ironduff
11-27-2009, 03:08 PM

EDIT: I think I found them : Lynx Levelers (http://www.lynxlevelers.com/lynx_levelers.html) Those really do look handy.

Responding a bit late, but...... I've used them for the past 6+ years under various small RV's. They're very good, but not perfect. They tend to sink in and /or plug up when used in soft dirt or mud. The lower edges can get deformed to where they won't interlock when used on rocky stuff (fixable with a razor knife). Both problems can mostly be solved by also carrying various sizes of plywood to put down first. They also sometimes slide as you try to drive up onto them on pavement.

But yeah, they're handy... and much lighter for transport than a stack of 2-by lumber. I've painted a few black so they blend in when curb-camping.

Jim H.

dzzz
11-27-2009, 07:47 PM
I exchanged email messages with Marc last week. He is currently building the 1st production XP at an undisclosed location in N. CA. :snorkel:

I'm sure he'd be more than happy to talk to you about specifics -- his email address can be found on his website (xpcamper.com (http://www.xpcamper.com)).

Congrats to whoever bought #1

Octamog
11-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Congrats to whoever bought #1

The prototype is still on Marc's Dodge.

The Adam Blaster
11-30-2009, 04:27 PM

I'm not going to bug him, that would just taker time away from the production process. ;)

I'm just waiting on truly public info anyways, solid release dates, pricing lists, availability and build times etc.
I'm also interested in how well his initial sales go on these campers --> hopefully VERY well!
If sales go well, then by the time I'm looking to buy one (in about 2-3 years) the cost may have fallen a bit for me. :D

haven
02-28-2010, 12:07 AM
Marc Wassmann, developer of the XPCamper, recently emailed an update describing his progress.

Marc has travelled 25,000 miles in his prototype camper. He has lived in the camper daily for the past three months. This extensive testing has helped Marc improve the camper. There is a new mechanism with wireless remote to raise and lower the pop top. The interior foam insulation is now cut by a CNC machine to improve its fit. The camper electric charging system is updated. Marc has added a grab handle by the camper door that telescopes up and down with the power top. Several cosmetic changes were made as well.

Marc is building a second XPCamper now. If all goes well, Marc intends to start production. Pricing and the delivery schedule will be announced shortly.

While not building the next XPCamper, Marc is updating his web pages. He should be finished soon. For now, the site is ""under construction."

To receive updates about the XPCamper, send email to "marc at xpcamper dotcom" (read this out loud if the address isn't clear), and ask to be added to the mailing list.

Chip Haven

kellymoe
03-01-2010, 01:36 AM
I like the idea of a frame mount camper and Marc's design looks great, I'll be keeping an eye on it. I am considering a FWC my Defender 130 but am also open to a frame on design.

As an aside, why do some people spell out email addresses as you did at the end of your post? Always seemed like more work for the writer and more confusing for the reader.

Finatic Angler
03-01-2010, 02:50 AM
If you put your full addy in a post it can be picked up by the spyders going through sites looking for them. It will result in that addy getting soaked.

kellymoe
03-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Thanks, I have never heard that before.

If you put your full addy in a post it can be picked up by the spyders going through sites looking for them. It will result in that addy getting soaked.

The Adam Blaster
03-04-2010, 05:25 AM
Can the mods delete the post by "Alton.cedric" please?
Clearly some sort of bot...

Regcabguy
03-06-2010, 03:11 PM
The outstanding stiffness of the Dodge hydroformed,boxed frame combined with a flatbed really adds to the longevity of any camper. The torsional twisting that any camper experiences is minimized. Case in point: my friend's got a '07 2500 Dodge CTD regcab w/3w supplied flatbed and a Phoenix brand camper. Even with the inferior build quallity of the Phoenix,the stable platform has allowed it to survive many tortuous Baja runs. Carli Suspension or Don Thuren can greatly enhance the handling both onroad and offroad with their expertise with minimal raising of the center of gravity. Marc's THE MAN!

brennanriddle1
03-18-2010, 06:06 PM
can you use the hitch?

Looks like you'd need an extension.

What sort of towing capacity could you see from a cummins 3500 with a hitch extension?

The Adam Blaster
03-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Marc's truck is a short bed, and would require a hitch extension.
There are proper ways to exend the hitch that would retain the vehicle's tow capacity, or at least very close to it.
And of course there are methods to extend the hitch to be useable, but not necessarily very safely...

Carlyle
03-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Hands down nothing beats a Superhitch for having an extension.

brennanriddle1
03-19-2010, 12:25 AM
I really like the design but the reason i'm going with a full sized and some sort of camper is for the towing capacity.

I'll be pulling 2 jeeps on a 30' trailer. around 12k lbs. Can superhitch manage this?

Carlyle
03-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Yes

brennanriddle1
03-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Yes

:wings: for XP campers then!

The Adam Blaster
03-19-2010, 06:06 PM
I am anxiously awaiting his production versions and hoping one will wander up to the Edmonton area so I can get a good look at it in person. :D

haven
03-20-2010, 01:41 AM
Or maybe Marc will have Production Unit #1 available for viewing at the Overland Expo.

The Adam Blaster
03-20-2010, 04:35 AM
Or maybe Marc will have Production Unit #1 available for viewing at the Overland Expo.

I wouldn't know anything about that. :D
I wish I could get to the expo, but I can't make it happen this year. I may try next year, but it's a bit of a drive for an event that only lasts a long weekend.

XPCamper
04-30-2010, 12:32 AM
Hope everybody had a fun time at the Overland Expo.
It was really great to meet so many of you in person.

I appreciate all the feed back I got from you guys and some of those ideas will be indeed incorporated.

A lot of you had fun with the Hammer test; but please; don't try it at home.
It was a sacrifice piece we cut out from the roof.

The Adam Blaster
04-30-2010, 03:11 AM
Marc - I'm not the only one who'd like to get a look at V.2. All I saw in the Expo post was one outside shot...any way you could give us a peek? Peter

Yes, and that pic looked like it was from about 100 yards away, no zoom. lol

It would be great to get some closer pics of the new unit, along with the details of what updates and changes you have made. Every once and a while I go onto the site hoping to see new pics, but I'm not disappointed just to look through the old ones. :D

XPCamper
05-02-2010, 08:35 PM
What changed?
Not much; that’s the whole idea.

The 2nd came in at 600LBS as a fully functional shell.
The hydraulic jacks are made out of Aluminum and weigh 8 lbs each. All jacks are set up in series and work like a charm via a remote control.
They also can be field stripped pretty easily and repaired if necessary. All units come with an extra set of gaskets and other necessary parts in case of failure.

I also created a wire harness and all wires and cables run through a conduit. In case of a bad wire; or you need to add one; you can replace it by using a string; which is already there.

The interior now has all molded parts; which makes the unit lighter and stronger.

I now use some really cool remote controlled lights in the rear of the camper.
You can point them where you want and makes parking at night a breeze.

That’s about all the changes I made. Have to say the, prototype was nearly perfect! :sombrero:

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/xpcamper/BackXP2top.jpg

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/xpcamper/RearXP2light.jpg

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/xpcamper/Flatbed1.jpg

Marc

Bike_Mech
05-12-2010, 07:49 PM
http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/xpcamper/Flatbed1.jpg

Marc

Marc,

It looks like you swapped out wheels. Did you goto some different tires also? Size?

I'm curious as to how thick the hard walls are and are they a foam-cored material?

This thing is rad!

Thanks
-Chris

XPCamper
05-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Marc,

It looks like you swapped out wheels. Did you goto some different tires also? Size?

I'm curious as to how thick the hard walls are and are they a foam-cored material?

This thing is rad!

Thanks
-Chris

Thanks Chris.

The tires are 285/75/17 Toyos MT.
The best tires I ever had.
I ran procomp's before and managed to destroy 2 of them with in a few trips.
Those toyos seem to go for ever; handle great and I NEVER had failure with them yet.

The walls are 1.5 ". and they are foam cored.
There is NO frame used in this process.
All the "furniture" are 1/2 inch foam cored material.

Hilldweller
06-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Hope everybody had a fun time at the Overland Expo.
It was really great to meet so many of you in person.
It was great meeting you, Marc.

I think I might talk to the bank; I was very impressed by your achievement and it matches the dream-build that's been in my head for a while.
Except yours actually works.

From Overland Expo 2010
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v352/billpearlman/XPCamperOX-2010.jpg

haven
06-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Hooray! Marc Wassmann is now taking orders for the production version of the XPCamper. The web site has been updated with photos, options and prices. See http://www.xpcamper.com

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z241/expeditioncampers/xpcamper-dunes.jpg

The web site shows several sample configurations, ranging from $23.5K for the unfinished shell (including the pop-up roof, entry door, windows, bathroom and pre-wiring for lights) up to $59K "fully loaded." These prices do not include the truck or the flatbed (tray) that the camper rests on.

The production schedule takes 3 to 5 months. 20% down is required to secure your spot in the schedule. See the web site for more details.

If you can't wait this long, the XPCamper prototype is for sale. Update: The Prototype 1.1, shell only, is for sale for $14,500.

(marc@xpcamper.com)

haven
06-06-2010, 10:08 PM
The XPCamper web site indicates that they won't install the camper onto a truck unless it's rated to carry about 2000 lbs of cargo. In general, this means an F250, Chevy 2500 or Dodge 2500, though some 1500 series trucks can be optioned to carry 2000 lbs. (Translation: Power Wagon yes, Raptor no.)

XPCamper wants to be sure you won't be overloaded. I think this is a wise policy, both in terms of customer safety and to reduce the company's exposure to liability.

haven
06-06-2010, 10:32 PM
One unusual item on the options sheet is a fuel cell to generate electricity. This is definitely a product I want to learn more about.

I presume the feedstock for the fuel cell is methanol, rather than hydrogen. The byproduct of the reaction is water and carbon dioxide, which are a lot more environmentally friendly than the exhaust gas from a gasoline or diesel powered generator. Even a propane-powered generator produces polluting combustion byproducts.

bat
06-07-2010, 01:29 AM
At $50,000 that is alot of money for a camper no matter how cool it looks which it does. My second concern would be the truck you have to mount it on, with the camper being so long you would have to use a crew cab full size truck to make it look right or have this big overhang. That is going to be a big truck setup for any off highway camping.

haven
06-07-2010, 04:27 AM
Mid-size trucks aren't stout enough to meet the 2000 lb carrying capacity recommendation. So we're talking full size trucks here.

The 2010 crew cab 2500 pickups come in two wheelbases: Short (about 150) and long (about 165). The exact numbers vary with the manufacturer.

For the short wheelbase trucks, the distance from the back of the crew cab to the axle is about 40 inches. Long wheelbase cab to axle is 55 inches, more or less.

The flatbed on the XPCamper prototype is about 100 inches in length. The Hemi powered Dodge Power Wagon is available only with the short wheelbase, 149 inches, and cab-to-axle of 40 inches. Personally, I'd choose the longer wheelbase to reduce the rear overhang (and to be able to have the Cummins diesel).

The Adam Blaster
06-07-2010, 05:24 AM
Marc has mentioned to me that it would be possible to get a more custom length if the buyer is willing to pay for it.
Each unit produced is going to have some sort of customization to it, so having a custom length model probably won't be that hard for the company to make.

I am VERY curious about the fuel cell also since with the latest press release and the updates to his website, this is the first I've heard from Marc about this option.

MARC -- TELL US MORE DETAILS ABOUT THE FUEL CELL!! :D

Hilldweller
06-07-2010, 08:37 AM
If you can't wait this long, the XPCamper prototype is for sale. Update: The Prototype 1.1, shell only, is for sale for $14,500.Ummmm, who wants to buy a 2008 JK with Conqueror Compact combo?

wife and dog not included in purchase
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v352/billpearlman/198.jpg

Hilldweller
06-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Ummmm, who wants to buy a 2008 JK with Conqueror Compact combo?Really; somebody buy them.

DirtyDog
06-24-2010, 09:42 PM
We are having a get-together in the Eastern Sierras July 10th and 11th to get a first hand look at the XPcamper. Anyone here that wants to join is certainly welcome. Details here:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3331/

EMrider
06-24-2010, 09:59 PM
We are having a get-together in the Eastern Sierras July 10th and 11th to get a first hand look at the XPcamper. Anyone here that wants to join is certainly welcome. Details here:

We'll be up there that weekend too. If you see a green SMB with a bunch of kids, please stop and say hi. I've camped all over the eastern sierras and that is one of my favorite spots.
R

BigJimCruising
06-25-2010, 01:43 AM
Subscribing to keep updated about this. Won't know until close to the 10th but would like to make it! Happy Camping, Jim.

jcbrandon
06-28-2010, 06:12 PM

Most excellent. Consider me about 80 percent confirmed for this.

DirtyDog
07-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Well I can tell you we were all pretty impressed with the XP Camper. Marc has really raised the bar for lightweight popup camping in comfort.

dzzz
07-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Mid-size trucks aren't stout enough to meet the 2000 lb carrying capacity recommendation. So we're talking full size trucks here.

The 2010 crew cab 2500 pickups come in two wheelbases: Short (about 150) and long (about 165). The exact numbers vary with the manufacturer.

For the short wheelbase trucks, the distance from the back of the crew cab to the axle is about 40 inches. Long wheelbase cab to axle is 55 inches, more or less.

The flatbed on the XPCamper prototype is about 100 inches in length. The Hemi powered Dodge Power Wagon is available only with the short wheelbase, 149 inches, and cab-to-axle of 40 inches. Personally, I'd choose the longer wheelbase to reduce the rear overhang (and to be able to have the Cummins diesel).

I hope people put these on one ton SRW pickups. The numbers will say a 3/4 ton should be enough. But, well, we know how THAT goes.

Having owned a dodge pickup I can recommend a 2011 Ford diesel one ton SRW without hesitation. :)

Regcabguy
07-29-2010, 11:14 PM
I hope people put these on one ton SRW pickups. The numbers will say a 3/4 ton should be enough. But, well, we know how THAT goes.

Having owned a dodge pickup I can recommend a 2011 Ford diesel one ton SRW without hesitation. :) After almost being bankrupted by the 6.0 engine and owner's complaining of the abysmal 6.4 fuel economy,I hope Ford's in-house 6.7 works out well for them. The 5.5' reduction in turning diameter thanks to coils up front, along with the build quality and huge cab makes it a winner. Just don't pop the hood.

thecarman
07-30-2010, 11:01 AM
After almost being bankrupted by the 6.0 engine and owner's complaining of the abysmal 6.4 fuel economy,I hope Ford's in-house 6.7 works out well for them... Just don't pop the hood.

You don't have to pop the hood when the dealer pulls the body off the chassis for engine repairs, right? :Wow1: Or has that changed since 2005 with the newest body/chassis?

ersatzknarf
08-28-2010, 12:10 AM
I heard some noises today that Marc might be working on a non-cabover prototype design for a smaller vehicle, such as a LR D130 or similar size. I really like the idea of a non-cabover, hard-side, composite construction, pop-up cabin.

Hooray! Marc Wassmann is now taking orders for the production version of the XPCamper. The web site has been updated with photos, options and prices. See http://www.xpcamper.com

The web site shows several sample configurations, ranging from $23.5K for the unfinished shell (including the pop-up roof, entry door, windows, bathroom and pre-wiring for lights) up to $59K "fully loaded." These prices do not include the truck or the flatbed (tray) that the camper rests on.

The production schedule takes 3 to 5 months. 20% down is required to secure your spot in the schedule. See the web site for more details.

If you can't wait this long, the XPCamper prototype is for sale. Update: The Prototype 1.1, shell only, is for sale for $14,500.

(marc@xpcamper.com)

crenninger
08-31-2010, 06:33 PM
I heard some noises today that Marc might be working on a non-cabover prototype design for a smaller vehicle, such as a LR D130 or similar size. I really like the idea of a non-cabover, hard-side, composite construction, pop-up cabin.

Very interesting... Now what would prevent somebody for fitting this one onto a flatbed trailer like a Foldable Kendon or any 5x8 landscape trailer?

I would be all for it (and talked to Marc :-)...

Just wondering if I have a crazy idea or if I am not alone.

Thanks
Christian

The Adam Blaster
09-01-2010, 02:21 AM
Christian, I've thought about the "slide-in on a trailer" idea as well, but I'd still go with a cabover. My plan would be to go that route to initially save the expense of buying a truck, but still have a kicka$$ camper. Then when more funds became available, I would buy an appropriate truck to mount the flatbed and camper to.
The camper is so light, it could be pulled by most any vehicle, even my minivan!

crenninger
09-02-2010, 05:56 AM
Christian, I've thought about the "slide-in on a trailer" idea as well, but I'd still go with a cabover. My plan would be to go that route to initially save the expense of buying a truck, but still have a kicka$$ camper. Then when more funds became available, I would buy an appropriate truck to mount the flatbed and camper to.
The camper is so light, it could be pulled by most any vehicle, even my minivan!

exactly my thinking.
Have a good affordable camper, on the trailer.
The camper can be the same as the one for the Pickup truck. Maybe just at the design phase a few things need to be planned for it. but at least have 1 base for both. With maybe added accessories for the Trailer part or vice versa.

Christian

Accrete
10-06-2010, 06:38 AM
Great work on the build Marc!

A couple of questions on the XP. I've read the updated website and specs.
If the base rig were a 2011 F350 Chassis Crew Cab 176" wheel base what modifications are made to the flat bed to accomodate the higher cab of the superduty? Is there more "basement" with the extra 4" needed to lift the camper off the deck?

Are there alternatives for flat beds? There is an oregon builder that does amazing work near Medford and there is no sales tax for oregon residence on vehicles/upfitments or RVs. I can PM you their info if you wish.

thx for any reply,
Thom

The Adam Blaster
10-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Thom, I would probably try to contact Marc directly through his email/website as he hasn't kept a presence on ExPo too much lately.

haven
10-06-2010, 06:28 PM
The XPCamper is designed to be mounted on a flatbed. One reason
why the flatbed was chosen over a chassis-mounted design is that
the camper can be easily removed from the truck. That lets you
use the truck for other purposes.

Here's a series of photos that show the XPCamper prototype being
used as a truck, without the camper on board:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3738/

Accrete
10-06-2010, 08:55 PM
thanks you two. i did find the other forum that he seems to frequent on the XPC side of things.

thx for the additional thoughts on the flat bed...i am totally sold on the idea. just trying to find any options and refrain from paying needless sales tax.

: )

Accrete
10-09-2010, 02:32 AM
just a ramble...

My wife is gaga over the XPCamper : )
As mentioned elsewhere we are trying to replace her daily driver that we sold (in my sig links) and off road trailer, and we both see many things about the XPC to get excited about.

An XPCamper as a Daily Driver? Are you crazy? Well, maybe. BUT we are also spontanious, live on the beautifuly WET! Oregon Coast, have places to explore right down the road. So yea, XPCDD : )

I am enjoying my communique' with XPC-Marc and look forward to the possibility that his creation will be sitting in our driveway! And the hope that my dearly beloved will let me drive it now and again.

Cheers,
Thom

The Adam Blaster
10-09-2010, 05:05 AM
Getting your wife on board is 90% of the battle. ;)
And the XP can just be parked in your driveway/garage when you're using the truck for daily driver duties.
If you had a nice high ceiling in your garage you could make a lift/hoist system to pull it off the truck and store it up and out of the way near the ceiling. As light as it is, it wouldn't be that hard.

Accrete
10-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Getting your wife on board is 90% of the battle. ;) . . .Totally. It's the only reason i was able to once again have a Toyota 4x4 in the driveway. But this time around i told her that though the new rig can be her DD, when we go on adventures the time behind the wheel will be more evenly split. She's a great driver on and off road, and once she's behind the wheel i nearly have to beg to swap out even after 4 hours or more! So this time i layed down the rule that ~1.5 hours we will swap. Most of our trips take us about 3 hours one way to our camp spot : )

Cheers,
Thom

XPCamper
03-07-2011, 09:18 PM
http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/xpcamper/XPF35011.jpg

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/xpcamper/XPF350.jpg

Gear
03-07-2011, 09:46 PM
http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/xpcamper/XPF350.jpg

Wow!! :Wow1::drool:

murryconst
03-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Looks better on the ford

haven
03-19-2011, 04:58 PM
The XPCamper prototype is for sale. See
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58444

ersatzknarf
05-10-2011, 08:49 PM
I think that there might be a new, smaller version upcoming :coffeedrink:

tnt
05-24-2011, 07:34 PM
XP offering version of their camper for compact trucks. Lighter and significantly cheaper than the full size version. Sneak peak and discussion here: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4730/

haven
08-17-2011, 04:53 AM
Hey! ExPo member Mark Stevens has just become the exclusive dealer for XPCamper in Canada. Congratulations, Mark!

Mark is building a web site to advertise the XPCamper. Mark is also introducing a line of related products called OutbacKamper Gear. See them both at Mark's website. http://www.outbackamper.com/

Mark is a frequent contributor to ExPo and the Wander the West forums. Here's a thread Mark started in 2006 to describe the Ford F350 he took to Australia for a year-long camping trip with his family. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/748-OutbacKamper-mods

18seeds
08-17-2011, 04:58 AM
Does that make 3 Marks?

snorkel54
08-18-2011, 02:12 AM
I want me one of those $10,000 swiss army knives. http://www.outbackamper.com/knives--tools.html

OutbacKamper
08-18-2011, 02:17 AM
I want me one of those $10,000 swiss army knives. http://www.outbackamper.com/knives--tools.html

I will give you a much better deal if you buy 2, only $19,999 !:)

I am having trouble getting Paypal to charge in Canadian dollars. The actual price is shown just above the $10,000 Paypal amount. I hope to have this fixed soon.
Cheers
Mark

cwsqbm
08-18-2011, 02:17 AM

That's just due to the predicted future exchange between US and Canadian dollars, as the Canadian prices listed are reasonable.

fisher205
08-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Congratulations Mark(s)!

This seems to be a good evolution for you. I remeber you telling me about this soon to be built camper a few years ago. I am glad you are still involved. Hopefully some day I can replace the old Alaskan with one.

Brad

OutbacKamper
08-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks Brad, I appreciate your support.
Cheers
Mark

XPCamper
08-20-2011, 12:43 AM

well, if you buy 6 you get a free camper! :sombrero:

OutbacKamper
08-20-2011, 12:49 AM
well, if you buy 6 you get a free camper! :sombrero:

I will mail you 6 knives immediately, when can I pick up my free camper?:ylsmoke:

XPCamper
04-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Wow, it's been 5 years since this thread was started with conceptual pics.
People thought I was nuts to even attempt of building such a rig. Yes, I am, at least they are all stainless though. :sombrero:

Here is a link from one of my first customers, Frank and Annie and Bushbaby, their XP, where you can follow their travel through South Africa.
It was kinda nerve racking having one of your first builds go that far away and I give Frank and Annie a lot of credit in trusting us in building them a rig for their travels in South Africa.

http://www.nextmillionmiles.blogspot.com/

Carlyle
04-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Love the pass through! Outstanding workmanship as ususal.