Post pictures of your Land Rover.

gage092879

Observer
i'm good friends with bruce. it's my disco now for about 1 1/2yrs. still has the oex stuff cause i go up all the time and such.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Andrew Walcker said:
Nice LR3! I've never had the opportunity to look closely at these vehicles, what are your overall impressions?

Wow, sorry Andrew, I did not see your post until just now as I was drooling through all those Defender pictures.

I have a very strong opinion regarding the LR3, not often shared by older Rover owners. I think that stock off the show room floor, the LR3 is the best off roading machine Land Rover has ever built. Unmodified (other than putting on some real tires instead of those GoodForOneYear's they come with), the LR3 will do 90% of all the trails out there, and do them with ease.

However, there are two limitations to the LR3 which are serious limitations for many hard core off roaders, and for good reason:

1. The LR3 driveline and suspension is EXTREMELY difficult to modify. To extract the remaining 10% potential to keep up with fully built D90's, RRC's, Disco's, etc... just isn't feasable. The LR3's are pretty much restricted from trails like the Rubicon, or at least for now. My goal is to continue adding armour and suspension mods and make it though that trail, perhaps next summer.
  2. Electrowizardry. While undeniably it's best assest off road, it can also be it's Achilies Heel. I would be hesitant to take a normal LR3 across some of the remote areas featured in Overland Journal, unless you had your own T4 Testbook computer. The truck itself is very mechanicaly reliable, but if you throw a sensor fault, you lose most of it's off road enabling systems. You need the T4 computer to clear those faults, and it costs something like $25,000. The Morrocco Challenge teams with Disco III's from the UK these past few years all brought a borrowed T4 and lots of EAS bits and pieces. They all did okay actually, but they were not solo...

My LR3 is somewhat of a novelty in the USA, but more comon in places like South America, Australia, Belgium, etc... Some of the local guys like to tease me a bit and call my truck the "poverty pack", because it's a base model, with an odd assortment of NAS options. My truck is a pre-production model shipped over with 20+ other varients before LRNA settled on what options packages would be right for the US market.

But to summarize an answer to your question for people considering an LR3 verses a used D2, I would highly reccommend the LR3 for most people, but it depends on what you want it for.
  • If you just want it because the LR3 drives better, is more comfortable, has better audio, fits more stuff and holds more people, then yes.
  • If you want it because it was designed literally 40 years more recently than the basic underpinnings of the D2, and over a decade newer in interior ergonomics, then yes.
  • Or, if you want it because it is safer on the road with airbags all around, has infinitely better braking systems, stability control, 300hp acceleration, and the incredible convienence of a true rear lift gate, then yes.
  • Or if you want it because it is an amazing off road machine with unparalleled traction, superior approach and departure angles, locking rear and center diffs, and substantial articulation and ground clearance with the stock air suspension, then yes.
  • But if you want it to build up into a long haul expedition vehicle or ultimate trail rig, no - stick with the D2 and build it up. The D2 with CDL is a great platform to build from whereas the LR3 is hard to improve over stock due to it's systems integration and suspension system.

Flame suit on!

KevinNY

Adventurer
jimbosan72 said:
So you must of driven the course in east haddam. How was it? I live close by and have been thinking of signing up.

Bruce is a fantastic teacher and his course is awesome. I took a winter wheeling class with him a few years ago.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
nwoods said:
I have a very strong opinion regarding the LR3, not often shared by older Rover owners. I think that stock off the show room floor, the LR3 is the best off roading machine Land Rover has ever built. Unmodified (other than putting on some real tires instead of those GoodForOneYear's they come with), the LR3 will do 90% of all the trails out there, and do them with ease.

[thread hijack]
The Land Rover dealership up here took a few out with older rigs (Disco Is, IIs, and a couple Defenders), and were suitably impressed. They basically ran a trail system in a riverbed/glacial valley that is more or less considered an easy ride, if bumpy. There are some spots where you can lose your vehicle (creeks and mud pits), and the glacial silt plays havoc on electronics and bearings. Anyway, they said the suspension was a marvel that overcame tire size limitations and the LR3 was certainly better in many respects off road.

That said, my complaint with them is the same as the Disco IIs (NAS at least)- don't get them wet. Way too much wiring and electronic gadgetry that is expensive to diagnose and repair. Getting warranty work after crossing water may prove impossible (make friends with the dealer). With limited support for modifications and expensive major repairs, I can see them dropping in value faster than the Disco IIs and Freelanders did.

I just wish Land Rover would simplify their designs a little and just focus on making a solid truck. Other manufacturers have managed to do so while maintaining a high level of creature comfort, so I don't see why Land Rover can't.
[/thread hijack]

d2offrover

Been lurking around a few months a finally registered.

A lot of nice rigs in this thread.

Here a pic of my 2002 DII.

shapeimage_1.jpg

More pics and various offroading trips can be found here www.d2offrover.com

Crazyfish

This has been a fun thread to read. I've lurked for a long time, nice forum. I guess it's time to actually post :) Part of ROVERS Club and Philly Rovers, located in Doylestown, PA. I write for LRM as Mr Zen which is mostly about my stupidity in action over the last 4 years. I'm just about to start a frame swap this spring to correct most of the mistakes I've made so far lol

a few thumbs of the changes and "fun"

Last edited:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
d2offrover said:
Been lurking around a few months a finally registered.

A lot of nice rigs in this thread.

Here a pic of my 2002 DII.

shapeimage_1.jpg

More pics and various offroading trips can be found here www.d2offrover.com

Welcome!

Crazyfish said:
This has been a fun thread to read. I've lurked for a long time, nice forum. I guess it's time to actually post :) Part of ROVERS Club and Philly Rovers, located in Doylestown, PA. I write for LRM as Mr Zen which is mostly about my stupidity in action over the last 4 years. I'm just about to start a frame swap this spring to correct most of the mistakes I've made so far lol

Welcome x 2 Mr. Roche!

What ever happened to Steve Hoare over there at LRM NA Ed.? I had written a few articles for LRM a couple years ago and he was my point of contact.

bovw

Explorer
Crazyfish said:

Nice Sean. Is the Shortbus going to make it for MAR?

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
99 DII w/ a 4.6l Rover V8 in it. 1st two were the old setup, last one is the new setup (sold rack and mounted tent to Thule bars).

Craig

pokeyYJ

Observer
SeaRubi said:
gatsby.gif

this was mine before I parted it and got the Rubi. Rovertracks rear axles, detroit / truetrack, AEU2422 CV joints, ashcroft 23/24 spline inners, HD110 hubs, drive-flanges, Bilstein 7100, RTE 3" HD springs, and 255/85 BFG muds on NATO rims, DiscoII LT230 swap w/ output housing conversion for D1/RRC. Miss ol' Gatsby alot.

RAWK AWNNN Rover dudes!!!

-SeaRover

Haha! I bought your detroit and rovertracks rear axles from you off D-Web a while ago! I think its funny to find you here now. So i thought I would say hi!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles