Softopper [product review]

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
To start off, you can view plenty of photos on the company's website, and read up on what they have to say about their product. What I'll try to do here is provide photos of stuff that they don't show, and talk about my personal experience with the Softopper. (note: I just took another look at their website, and it looks like they've made some updates since I last looked at it about 5 months ago.)

Last year, I was doing some research on a campershell solution, and liked the idea of a removeable canvas shell. I had heard great things about the Canback, but their website was down, and it seemed like the company was going through some turmoil. And the further I looked into the Canback, the more it seemed like a "permanent" campershell (one of the reasons why I was steering clear of a fiberglass shell). My truck is my daily driver, and I still use it quite often to haul stuff. So I didn't want to be limited to the size of what I could haul due to campershell restrictions.

I bought my Softopper in November 2005, and it arrived a few days before a hunting trip. It was super easy to put on, and I was able to test it out immedately.
DSCN1475.JPG

DSCN1495.JPG

(note: I did not kill the deer in the above photo. I just helped my dad to carry it out on my back - since he's getting to be an "old dude" now...:elkgrin:)

I did some highway driving right away, and even at 80mph, there was hardly any flapping. It looked very sturdy. And it did a great job of keeping the dust off my gear. I utilized the "bed extender" on the inside of the bed to keep my gear from sliding around too much. But I really need to come up with a better storage solution now!!

So, we all know what it looks like when it's on the truck. But what about when it's off? When I take it off, I can easily store it hanging on a rafter in my garage (it comes with a nifty bag that you can stuff it into when not on the truck):
DSCN2182.JPG

And the only "permanent" things that stay on my truck are the two strips of velcro tape, on the outside of the tailgate & on the inside of the bed just under the back window:
DSCN2184.JPG

DSCN2186.JPG

So how does it stay on the truck so sturdily, even at highway speeds? Here are a few closeups of the clamps that hold the rails to the top of the sidewalls of the bed:
DSCN2195.JPG

DSCN2203.JPG

(note: I've exceeded the limit of 10 images, so I will continue the review in the next post.)

edgear

product review cont'd....

And here are a few closeups of the pin on the rail where the shell-frame attaches to:
DSCN2197.JPG

DSCN2202.JPG

DSCN2205.JPG

Here's a shot of the inside, once the top is on:
DSCN2208.JPG

Here's a shot of the outside lower corner, just behind the cab:
DSCN2214.JPG

And you even get 3 of these sweet patches, pre-installed from the factory!!
DSCN2217.JPG

I've noticed that it can get dark sometimes when camping -- which I'm sure many of you have experienced. The Softopper does not come with any sort of "dome light," so I found a simple closet light with velcro tape that runs on AA batteries:
DSCN2210.JPG

Overall, I've been pretty pleased with the product. It's super easy to put on & take off (about 10 minutes or less). It keeps the dust out. It seems to keep the water out. (note: It's only rained like twice since I've had the Softopper. I'll report back in a few months, after I survive this summer's monsoon season here in Tucson.) I like the fact that you can roll up the back or sides -- it makes it easy to get to gear. The zippers & snaps are somewhat heavy-duty, and the stitching seems like it will last. I haven't washed it like they specify in the instructions (with warm soapy water). But I have knocked the dust of a few times at those do-it-yourself spray-wash places. It held up just fine.

I give it a few thumbs up -- especially if you're looking for a simple campershell solution that is easily removeable & lightweight. If you're looking for something permanent & hardcore, this is definitely not for you.
  • One downside is the lack of security.
  • One upside is how awesome it makes your Tacoma look when atop a mountain:

DSCN1676.JPG

It's not as comfy as an RV, but it gets the job done when you don't want to pitch a tent!
J_sleeping_in_truck.jpg

:camping:

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Aaah, you beat me to it. I've had mine for about two or so months and love it! I wanted to do a review as well but baby has kept me busy.

Mine fit just fine and is VERY durable. I backed into some limbs froma a cedar tree that had been recently cut. In other words they were quite sharp. They stabbed the side and slide right off with very little marking left behind.

Very easy install. My only problem was that the side rails didn't have the cutout for the Al brackets. They're supposed to be sending new ones soon.

On the Canback note, I've heard they have since folded. One of my other Nissan buddies installed one that he'd been waiting for for a year! Four months later he rolled his rig six times doing 65 and totally ruined it. What a loss!

Back on topic...I called Softtopper on Thursday and it was delivered the following Friday. Seven working days! Quick response.

erin

Explorer
:coffee:
Nice review. Having been able to see this topper up close and personal, it is a very nice unit. I was very impressed with how sturdy it seemed even though it is easily removed.
I was especially jealous of it when we all got back to camp after 5 miles of dirt roads and my stuff was covered in dust, and Tacozonas looked like we never even left camp.

david despain

Adventurer
great review thats exactly the kind of info you cant find or exactly trust from the manufacturer. is this the kind you can fold up against the cab so you have a mostly open bed with out removing it? or do just the sides and back roll up? would you have to remove it to carry a tall load? the truck looks fantastic with it on. any pics with the sides rolled up?

edgear

originally posted by david despain
is this the kind you can fold up against the cab so you have a mostly open bed with out removing it?

Yes - it is. There was one instance when I was helping a friend move a refrigerator, and I didn't feel like taking the Softopper completely off. So I just folded it forwards towards the cab (kind of like a boat canopy). I didn't take any pictures of it, but I think the website shows something similar. They also have photos of the sides rolled up. It's dusty here in Southern Arizona, so I rarely roll the sides up. I could take some more close-up photos though, if you'd like. The straps & clips that hold the rolled up fabric are actually pretty decent - like what you would find on a backpack.

:sunny:

david despain

Adventurer
There was one instance when I was helping a friend move a refrigerator, and I didn't feel like taking the Softopper completely off. So I just folded it forwards towards the cab (kind of like a boat canopy).

oh its like you read my mind that is exactly the type of thing i was wondering about. i know exactly what you mean. thanks for the info. :bowdown:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Great review Jeremy! :clapsmile

Those have seemed like a great option since they came out. I heard that Can-Back was in a state of transition last year but I think you found a great solution.

Awesome pics and detail and you're right, it does make your Tacoma look awesome atop a mountain!!

edgear

originally posted by david despain
is this the kind you can fold up against the cab so you have a mostly open bed with out removing it?

Just yesterday I had the opportunity to do this, and actually remembered to take a picture of it! I had to pick up a potting bench for my wife. Of course I didn't plan ahead & take the entire camper shell off. So I just did the lazy thing and folded it forward.
:suning:

DSCN2344_2.JPG

Willman

tacozona said:
Just yesterday I had the opportunity to do this, and actually remembered to take a picture of it! I had to pick up a potting bench for my wife. Of course I didn't plan ahead & take the entire camper shell off. So I just did the lazy thing and folded it forward.
:suning:

DSCN2344_2.JPG

Boy that is a nice option!!!! When ever the wife wants something HUGE that can't fit under the canopy.....i have to go to great lenghts to take it off...Last time this happened...i went to HomeDepot and bought all the rigging for a pulley system that worked not to bad for removing my shell!!!

Last edited:

edgear

With the monsoon season now in effect in Southern Arizona, I've been able to see how the Softopper holds up to rain. For the most part, it does pretty well. However, in prolonged rainstorms, I have noticed some minor leaking on the sides, coming in under the weather stripping. I think it's due to my Line-X liner, which goes over the rails. I might need to see about getting some different weather stripping. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Colorado Ron

Explorer
I must admit it looks handy. I really want the Can back still. Since Im next to boulder colorado I see a few of these running around, but I still love the can back look! Great writeup!

beerhiker

Adventurer
whoa! their factory is like a 2 miles away from me right now, I may have to go checkem out. Ive seen a couple on the road but I thought they were made by Bestop. I wonder if they are previous workers from Bestop who started this company.
Why is Can-Bak so desired?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior