2006 4runner Sport w/ pic's of my 1st mod's

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Hello All,

I lurk here and rarely post but I check the site often and spend more time here than I would like to admit to my boss. There are many great forums online but this one is unique because of the diversity in vehicles and locations discussed.

I became interested in the site while doing research on which vehicle to purchase the FJ or the 4runner.......I ended up buying an '06 4runner sport v6 4x4.

Here is the before photo:
IMG_0482_6_1.jpg

Luckily, I have some friends who helped me install my OME Lift (was inspired by the ARB 4runner I saw on this site.

Here is a pic of the install (scary as it only had about 600 miles):
IMG_0499_23_1.jpg

after the lift with the 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers:

IMG_0525_38_1.jpg

IMG_0521_34_1.jpg

IMG_0520_33_1.jpg

The lift and tires are great, both on-road and off I have been very impressed. (I've only taken off-road once, pics to follow).

Thanks everybody for posting their experiences and knowledge. :bowdown:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
First Trail Run - Rowher Flats

I am a total rookie to off-roading so luckily on my first trip to Newhall, CA (Rohwer Flasts OHV park) I came across 3 Hummer drivers who guilded me and provided advice whenever I needed it.

Proudly, I finished Lookout Trail without getting stuck or damaging my truck. My 4runner performed flawlessly, It was confident the whole way through. The 4runner did everything the Hummer's did which makes me very happy:D .

Not that I have a lot to compare it too, but this trail provided steep climbs, challenging terrain and great views. I know I can never see enough pictures, and a pictures says a 1,000 words, so here are several thousand words.....

hope y'all enjoy!

Post3.jpg

Post1.jpg

Post2.jpg

RowherFlats_0271.jpg

RowherFlats_0258.jpg

RowherFlats_0197.jpg

RowherFlats_0186.jpg

d51e7020.jpg

4f512015.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
Ryan,

I really like the change of wheel well lines in the '06. The lift and tire size works perfectly.

Have you measured fuel economy yet with the change?

What is next for the ride?

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Very nice Ryan, looks good. What do you have planned next for your truck? Why did you choose the 4-Runner over the FJ? Just curious.

seth_js

Explorer
Now that's what I'm talking about... barely gone through a tank or two of gas and already getting her dirty. Kick ass man! :cool:

-Seth

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Ryan,

I really like the change of wheel well lines in the '06. The lift and tire size works perfectly.

Have you measured fuel economy yet with the change?

What is next for the ride?

Overall, my fuel economy has been sort of a dissapointment, before the lift and tires in the city I was getting ~15 and long trips on the highway~18 with 91 octane gas. After the lift and tires I haven't gotten more than ~16mpg.

With some advice I have gotten from some guys over at the 4runner forum, I have changed to 87 octane which everybody says gives you better mpg. Also, I have read that you have to give the engine a few thousand miles before mpg will really be good.

My Nitto's say their max PSI is 35lbs, is there a problem with running them at 35 psi?

v6- 4runner, new tacoma owners, was your mileage bad when your vehicle was new?

As for my next mods..........I want some sliders. Does ARB offer those bolt on versions from that 4runner you tested? I haven't really spent the time researching those but I figure they are a must.

Besides the mpg (which I am praying gets better), I have nothing but good things to say about the 4runner.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Why not the FJ??

datrupr said:
Very nice Ryan, looks good. What do you have planned next for your truck? Why did you choose the 4-Runner over the FJ? Just curious.

I waited for the FJ for about a year and when I finally got to drive one it just wasn't as nice as the 4runner. Here was my first impression of the FJ after my initial test drive, it's a LONG QUOTE from the FJ cruiser forum...

After months of curiosity which led to obsession, last night I had my chance for a 1 on 1 with the FJ. Voodoo Blue, 4x4 auto with the convenience, aluminum wheels, skidplate, rockrails and carpet floor mats.

In person the FJ is very impressive. But we all know how it looks, so I will continue with my impressions, in no particular order.

-Impression from sitting in the driver's seat, the first thing that came to mind was an analogy I heard on this forum...."it's like having a football helmet on." When compared to my 4 door taco or the 4runner I test drove front, side and rear visibility is terrible! (The true deal-breaker for me) I'm 6'0 and with the seat jacked all the way up (towards the sky) I still couldn't see the ground in an eight foot radius around this thing. I know, I know the "use your mirrors" argument has been made several times on this board but I'm talking about looking forward the hood feels like you have a 6" lift and you're 5' tall. There's a reason the rear parking sensor comes with the convenience package.

-Regretfully, I will be pulling my deposit and getting 4x4 v6 4runner sport. The dealer will be happy to sell me one of those at $800 below invoice. I think for $29K, I will be getting more in the discounted 4runner than I would with the fulll MSRP FJ.

Last edited:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
expeditionswest said:
I really like the change of wheel well lines in the '06.

Oh yeah!!! Good eye. I had to scroll back and look again after I saw your post. I very much prefer the flowing, arched wells as opposed to the sliced flat-tops.

Ryan,
Beautiful 4Runner, and if you're going to keep dishing out a great selection of pictures like these, you need to post more often. :)

rionorte

good job ryan!

Im local to Valencia and I see that yellow H2 (I think Ron B might know him from a trail run) at least once a month in the area. Post up next time youre heading back - good chance I will come along since its not a far drive.

robert

Expedition Leader
Ryanmb21 said:
v6- 4runner, new tacoma owners, was your mileage bad when your vehicle was new?

I've got about 33,000 miles on my 05 with V6, 6 speed, stock 265s and I average between 16-17 with around 19 on the highway. Yeah, I'm disappointed too; my old 95.5 Taco with the 3.4 got better than that (averaged 18 with 20-21 on the highway).

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Bluto said:
good job ryan!

Im local to Valencia and I see that yellow H2 (I think Ron B might know him from a trail run) at least once a month in the area. Post up next time youre heading back - good chance I will come along since its not a far drive.

Next time out, I will definatly do some posting!

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
update

My 2006 4runner just hit 5000 miles, with no problems except for having to fork over ~$230 bucks to replace a lost key and alarm remote. :ar15: and a somewhat bothersome squeak coming from my driver side rear suspension.

I love the truck, unfortunately I haven't been able to have much fun with it. For the past couple of months I have been working 50-60 hrs a week and next week I am taking the first of four parts of the CPA test. So I have been super busy, hit'en the books with any spare time.

I did take a road-trip with my girlfriend up to northern california, on the way stopping and spending a couple of hours in GORMAN's OHV park and also visited Prairie City OHV (near Sacremento). I am certiantly gaining confidence in its capabilities, especially after tackling several obstacles with members of Jeep club onlooking. My 4runner handled everything I tried no problem (sorry forgot the camera).

On the long trip up north my best tank of gas was 18+ mpg and around town I have been getting 17mpg, which is an improvement from when it was brand new.

I do have some questions that maybe some could help with....

-I changed my oil @ 1,500 miles w/ regular, is now to soon to go with Synthetic?

-To get rid of the squeak in my rear suspension, what kind of grease should I use?

Things that are great so far:
-Styling quiet comfortable ride
-the power of the v6 and smooth shifting tranny
-jbl stereo, w/ steering wheel controls, the sport interior
-Power rear gate window, A/C controls
-the headlights & fog lights(the high beams could give somebody sunburn)
-albeit limited experience, I haven't been stuck while off-roading/ATRAC, I felt like I can go anywhere
-Room for 5 guys, 7 surfboards on the roof on recent trip to San clemente
-Ignition - you turn it once, no need to hold until the engine turns over. Works like a push button
-2.9% APR
-OME setup, it's really fun to hit bumps
-Nitto tires haven't disappointed

Things that haven't been great so far:
-Overall MPG thus far 16-18, would be nice to get closer to 20
-exhaust tip
-It's a lot of work to keep that black lookin good
-Working and studying to much to enjoy to it

Things next on the list (in no particular order)
-Baja surf trip
-sliders
-tinted front windows

After 5 months, am I happy with the purchase? - Yes

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Ryanmb21 said:
On the long trip up north my best tank of gas was 18+ mpg and around town I have been getting 17mpg, which is an improvement from when it was brand new.

Things that haven't been great so far:
-Overall MPG thus far 16-18, would be nice to get closer to 20

Did you correct for the larger tires? Odometer runs slower if you go to a larger tire. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior