View Full Version : Big bore air rifles
05-21-2008, 04:08 PM
I notice that there are getting to be more big bore .25 to .50 caliber air rifle builders around. From a survival hunting rifle point of view if these are well built with few parts to wear out, bullets could be handmade and these types of rifles could be kept working for years without the cost and hassle of finding and buying powder ammunition.
Are there any users of large bore air rifles here and other than limited distance what are some of the negatives to using these.
05-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Never heard of such a thing..... a negative that I think could exist would be the slowness of a reload. I can't imagine that you can push multiple projectiles of the sizes depicted without building air pressure back up in the chamber. I would have said that throwing a .50 cal bullet down range with air only and taking down a bison would have been impossible.....but clearly it's been done! I would hate to have something come and try to stomp me if I didn't get a clean shot off, or have it suffer more than needed, while trying to reload.
I have a .22 cal air rifle and that is big enough for my airgun needs. Cool concepts though, thanks for posting them.
05-21-2008, 09:00 PM
I looked at some of those sites when I did my initial research for my .22
initially I'd never even heard of a PCP type air rifle....thinking back to my days as a kid and a break back spring rifle.
I eventually choose the .22 as just about 90% of things I wanted to do would be covered and the other 10% were just dreams....
You can pickup ammo at any local store, but even with this size some of the heavier weight ammo you still have to order, like Kodiaks.
I could'nt see any gains in using .25 other than having a 'cool" odd size
05-21-2008, 09:05 PM
I have no experience with them but if it worked for Lewis and Clark then it will probably work for you.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.11 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.