1979 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton 4x4 with DEUTZ 5 Cylinder Air Cooled Engine

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Here's one you don't see every day. Matter of fact, I'm not sure you ever see it...

4f8c_12.JPG

1979 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton 4x4 with DEUTZ 5 Cylinder Air Cooled Engine

I know from member egn that he and some other international adventurers like the Deutz air-cooled engines for their simplicity and reliability.

From the Q&A section on the eBay listing:

Q: Hi Is the engine factory original or is this an aftermarket installation? Jun-12-08
A: This engine was installed aftermarket. I have the warranty cards, they indicate that the conversion was done by a Ford dealership in Illinois when the truck had 14,000 miles.

haven

Expedition Leader
I guess the good news is that all the parts to completely rebuild the K10/K20 series trucks are readily available! The bad news is that everything DOES need to be replaced. It might be cheaper to buy a second truck in better condition and swap over the engine, trans and transfer case.

I bet that air cooled diesel sounds like the hammers of hell!

Chip Haven

Lynn

Expedition Leader
haven said:
It might be cheaper to buy a second truck in better condition and swap over the engine, trans and transfer case.

I'm no expert, but I believe that the frame VIN is the important one. If you swap bodies, the title will still be associated to the frame VIN. So it might be best to keep the frame and swap everything else. Remember that thread you started asking about rebodying an old frame? Strip this thing down, repair the frame as necessary, and put an Escalade body on it! Voila, a pre-smog, pre-ULSD, truck with a plush modern passenger area.

Also, I read on a biodiesel forum that it is illegal to put agricultural or commercial diesel engines in a road-going vehicle. AFIK, Deutz never sold truck engines in the US, just commercial engines for generators and tractors and stuff. Since this truck was converted years ago, by an authorized mechanic, maybe it could be grandfathered? That may be another reason why you might want to keep this engine with this frame/VIN, and hang on to those receipts he says he has for the conversion.

haven said:

Just put an old PowerStroke badge on the side....

AGFR

Deutz in GMCs

I'm no expert, but I believe that the frame VIN is the important one. If you swap bodies, the title will still be associated to the frame VIN. So it might be best to keep the frame and swap everything else. Remember that thread you started asking about rebodying an old frame? Strip this thing down, repair the frame as necessary, and put an Escalade body on it! Voila, a pre-smog, pre-ULSD, truck with a plush modern passenger area.

Also, I read on a biodiesel forum that it is illegal to put agricultural or commercial diesel engines in a road-going vehicle. AFIK, Deutz never sold truck engines in the US, just commercial engines for generators and tractors and stuff. Since this truck was converted years ago, by an authorized mechanic, maybe it could be grandfathered? That may be another reason why you might want to keep this engine with this frame/VIN, and hang on to those receipts he says he has for the conversion.

Just put an old PowerStroke badge on the side....

In the mid 1980s GMC made Deutz's BF6L 913 available as an option in its medium duty trucks. Starting around 1975 or so Deutz was marketing its F5L 912 truck engine in the USA. That's the engine in the truck referred to above. The biggest users of the 912 series five cylinder engines were "bread trucks." Diamond Reo used a BF8L 513 in some of its models. Chrysler had a V8 Deutz in their HUMVEE prototype. There were other truck manufacturers that utilized Deutz aircooled engines. Deutz had an engine assembly plant in Indiana.

The Deutz engine that powers my truck was intended for a UPS delivery van that GMC was going to produced. Protests from the UAW (and other unions) nixed that project. I "rescued" the engine from Deutz's Richmond, IN warehouse. That was over 500,000 miles and hundreds of oil wells ago.

Kind regards,

AGFR

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
AGFR, Welcome to the Portal, and thanks for the history lesson!

So, tell us more about your truck?

AGFR

AGFR, Welcome to the Portal, and thanks for the history lesson!

So, tell us more about your truck?

Thank you for the "Welcome."

If you will kindly go to:

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94256

and follow the links, it should give you a good overview of the truck and its capabilities. I think its under "Deutz in F-250" or something to that effect. Or use a search engine with "Deutz F 250" as the search item.

While its undeniable the ugliest truck on the road (or off) to me it really "shines" as it goes by those signs posting "Diesel - $3.99/gal" rather smartly. That's an important attribute to have as on my "expeditions" I carry only $3.50 in my pocket and no credit cards. All of my food is carried onboard and the hot air coming off the Deutz's jugs allows for some creative cooking. I sleep either in, under or on the truck. About the longest out and back trip to date (over the past thirty years or so) has been in the neighborhood of 10,000 miles. And I returned with the $3.50 intact.

I have a Mercedes-Benz 124 with a 603 engine and 5-speed transmission that has similiar capabilities. In essence its a "Third World" version with increased ground clearance and steel under body pans (shields). I've been amazed where I've been able to drive it. When you are going to oil wells to refuel the "paths" leave a lot to be desired. On one occasion I pulled a jeep out of a BIG mud hole with the Benz. However, the car doesn't "sleep" worth a flip. For long trips (expeditions?) I prefer the truck.

Thanks for your interest.

AGFR

Last edited:

herm

Adventurer
... where do you fill up? "the oil well" ? so... you go to the tanks next to a well and fill up? or do you use heating oil?

AGFR

... where do you fill up? "the oil well" ? so... you go to the tanks next to a well and fill up? or do you use heating oil?

In Wyoming I've refueled across the State from the Green River Basin to Gillette. At a few wells across the country I have a filler hose and nozzle attached to the wellhead. If the pumper approves I'll take oil via the sampling valve. But the vast majority of refueling is done from stock tanks.

Wyoming has a wide variety of raw well oils: From a 65 API gravity casinghead gasoline to 17 API gravity crud. I've refueled on both. The Deutz has never "burped" regardless what I've "fed" it.

As we say: "Only ************** pull up to the pump. Real diesels go straight to the well." This is what Rudolf Diesel intended for the engine he invented and developed.

Best regards.

AGFR

Last edited:

AGFR

I guess the good news is that all the parts to completely rebuild the K10/K20 series trucks are readily available! The bad news is that everything DOES need to be replaced. It might be cheaper to buy a second truck in better condition and swap over the engine, trans and transfer case.

Chip Haven

The air cooled Deutz diesel engines are no louder than a liquid cooled diesel engine of similar displacement and power level. They are perceived to be as their frequencies are different.

When I'm passing through small towns in predominately agricultural areas heads do turn. Most know a diesel engine wasn't available in the 1978 - 79 Ford pickup models. It doesn't sound like a Cummins, International 6.9 or 7.3, GM 6.5 or Isuzu designed common rail engine, Ford 6.0, Perkins or Deere. Its sound has an industrial strenth quality. About all guess its a Deutz, especially when they look through the grill and don't see a radiator. At highway speeds it sounds like a tractor....fast moving!

cj06

w have had lots of equipment with the Deutz engines , most were the 4cyl some the 3cyl and some with a 2cyl ! all were good but the biggest thing i found is that they are not the best for out in extremely high heat areas . they were designed in Germany , like the VW or old Porsche engine and are one of the best for ares that don't see 120 degrees !

AGFR

w have had lots of equipment with the Deutz engines , most were the 4cyl some the 3cyl and some with a 2cyl ! all were good but the biggest thing i found is that they are not the best for out in extremely high heat areas . they were designed in Germany , like the VW or old Porsche engine and are one of the best for ares that don't see 120 degrees !

I've operate the truck's engine at full rack (maximum power) according to DIN 70020 in a simulated 140 degree F enviroment for military requirements. The stabilized cylinder head temperatures have never come close to redline values as the Deutz air cooled diesels are designed to provide rated power with an ambient temperature of 70 degrees C (158 degrees F). That's one reason the engines are so popular in North Africa where day time temperatures are constanly in excess of 120 degrees F.

I suggest you visit Roland Sparling's informative website http://www.magirusdeutz.co.uk/MD8deutz.htm for elucidation on the subject.

Best regards.

AGFR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior