Stephan Stewart has a new rig, and MAN, what a rig

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Old:

dcp_0520.jpg

New:

r0012779.jpg

Thought those of you familiar with his travels might want to celebrate with him.

Color me jealous :)

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Now that I've got your attention :)

J/K, but I do want to point out his web page giving advice on Choosing an Overland Campervan, since it's not linked from his home pages, and should be required reading, IMHO.

What, no kudos on my word play? MAN, what a tough crowd!

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's the floorplan of the BiMobil EX480

BiMobilEX4801.jpg

Maybe Stephen wants to travel more often with a companion?

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Interesting how Bimobil offset the pass-thru, I asssum so that the forward dinette/bed doesn't conflict with the pass-thru.

G_4.jpg

G_1.jpg

Lynn

Expedition Leader
haven said:
Maybe Stephen wants to travel more often with a companion?

In the trip report he mentions his "new travel companion" several times.

Again, congratulations to Mr. Stewart. ;)

Lynn

Expedition Leader
theMec said:
Nice rig but if I was putting the money out for it, I'd want some big windows.

I agree wholeheartedly with the desire for large windows, but in investigating this this class of vehicles, it seems that most owners want small windows up high on the rig to provide for better security.

Personally, I would probably get one of the vehicles that are designed such that they have a top section that raises and lowers, and covers the windows when down. That way you could have big windows AND good security.

However, I've never owned (nor likely to own) such a vehicle, so I can only speak of impressions I've picked up from internet info!

Zenslo

Hi,

Thanks for the interest. I would have preferred to have got a Mercedes rather than a MAN but after 12 months of looking (and six trips to Germany from the UK) this one came up. Originally built by Bimobil for a German in 2005, and only driven for 25,000 km I bought it used in June 2008. It was just too good a bargain to miss.

I have added considerable extra removable kitchen work surface that partially blocks the hatch (it can still be used in an emergency). I have also added 2 x 200 watts of solar panel and in the next few weeks I will add a diesel heater to the existing gas (propane) one.

Several things I like about it:

It is Euro 3 an therefore does not have that much electronics (and unlike new Mercedes Euro 5 engines does not need AdBlue)

It also weighs well under 7500kg (lots of so called 7500kg German trucks actually weigh over 8000kg and you can not register them in the UK)

The hatch is great and more than makes up for the small windows. See http://www.xor.org.uk/travel/iceland2008/index.html where you can see several pictures of the hatch in use.

Alas although my test trip to Iceland was a great success from the vehicle point of view, I am again looking for a travel partner! See http://www.ultra.org.uk/

Stephen Stewart

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Zenslo said:
Hi,

Thanks for the interest...

Stephen Stewart

Mr. Stewart,

Let me be the first to welcome you to the site. I have gained a lot of knowledge, (and lived several vicarious lives) through your site, and the Silk Route site. And I still have a lot of trips to 'take.'

Thank you for sharing your vast experiences via those sites. Any time you have to share your knowledge on this site will be greatly appreciated, as well.

Lynn

ColinTheCop

Adventurer
Saw that truck in Iceland, never saw anyone with it otherwise i'd have said 'Hello'.

Been following Stephens website for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles