VSS from Downey Off Road

cumminscruiser

Adventurer
Any ideas on where I could get a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) for Vortec mated to FJ60 transfercase. Downey Off Road had the cool set up but they closed before I could buy them.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Its been quite some time since I've played with one of the VSS's but I could swear the Downey and JTR setups were from the same manufacture. Regardless I've used the JTR ones on several different setups with good resuts.

cumminscruiser

Adventurer
Vss

The one I'm thinking of mounts to the rear of the FJ60 Transfercase under the cover, I dont remember if it came with a new cover. I don't see that application at JTR I guess I need to call them.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
The one I'm thinking of mounts to the rear of the FJ60 Transfercase under the cover, I dont remember if it came with a new cover. I don't see that application at JTR I guess I need to call them.

Hmmm, I guess I don't remember that one. What cover was it under? Was it by chance picking up a signal from the transmission output? The JTR one and the Downey one I remember was an inline speedo cable style. Basically it screwed onto your T-case speedo shaft and your speedo cable plugged into it. In some cases a short speedo extension was needed as to position the VSS for clearance.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I'll have to look at the Downey Engine Swap guide as I think that there is a picture of what they offered in there.

The other way to go is to use a late model VSS that replaces the speedo drive completely. Then use the Abbott "Cable-X" to drive the speedo.

cumminscruiser

Adventurer
Vss

The VSS I thinking of was mounted under the cover on the rear of the FJ60 transfercase, the cover is at the nut that tightens the gears on the input shaft of the transfercase. The wires must come through the cover via a gromet. I thought the sensor came with a new cover.

I cant seem to post a picture right now but if you Google "33606 VSS" images you will see the Downey Off Road VSS.

Sloan

Explorer
Jim from Downey responded in a thread that he has some stuff still available if you want to pm him on the mud board to enquire about availability.

BMAN

Adventurer
I run the JTR inline version on my 60 and it works just fine. I also did a tummy tuck on my rig when I built it and raised the drive train 3 or 4 inches at the T-case so I have no clearance issues with the inline one hanging down a little lower than the stock speedo attachment. I don't remember off hand if it does hang down right there but I can look.

BMAN

Adventurer
I would love to see pictures of how you raised the drive gear.

I'll do some digging around for pics today, hard to do from work since photbucket is blocked. The basic idea is that When I did the V8/700r4/Splitcase swap I built a new rear crossmember that attached to the 700r4-splitcase adapter (Advanced Adapters). This uses a stock Toyota Transmount between my new Xmember and the AA adapter. When I was mocking everything up to locate the new Drivetrain in the truck I pushed the rear of the assembly up until there was about 3/4" between the top of the tcase and the floor of the truck. This is about 3.5"-4" difference from stock. I then fabbed my new crossmember to fit this location. Next I moved to the front where I lifted the front of the engine to get the proper rake of 3-5 degrees nose high thta is prefered for the small block. Then I welded in my motormount/Crossmember assemblies and ended up with the added clearence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94