what is your top speed?

SFROMAN

Adventurer
All 40 owners what is your top speed on your 40 cruiser?
I have a 350 and SM420 on mine but can barely get to 40 mphs. This is with 4.10 gears and 35s.

DEL

esh

Explorer
Something is very wrong. My trail truck, a '79 FJ40, can get easily up to 65 with the 2F/SM420/4.56/35s.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
2F, H55F, 4.88's, 35's - ~90mph top speed

Normal cruising, ~70mph is pretty comfortable in 5th gear.

You've got something seriously wrong, like stuck in low range wrong.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Even my troopy would cruise at 70 in overdrive with not too much of a problem....

My older 76 40 with the 2F, 4 speed and 4.10s liked 55mph on the highway...but I agree, 40mph is too low.

-H-

cruiseroutfit

Lets break this down.

Trans - 1:1
T-Case - 1:1 (high range)
Axles - 4.1:1
Tires - 35"
Indicated speed: 40mph

Engine RPM - 1574 rpm's

Do you have a tach? Does this jive with your tach? Even an older tired SBC should have no problem revving into the 3000+ rpm range, leaving you running 75 down the highway. Your motor might be screaming but for short passes. It should do it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cedar_Mountains 002 (Medium).jpg
    Cedar_Mountains 002 (Medium).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

whadya tryin to do kurt, spin the needle all the way round?

Its hit 100 before, down Parley's Canyon (very steep long grades) and I had 4.56's, even calibrated for the tires/gears I was ~98mph. It will never and I repeat never reach anything close to that on even flat ground. 60-70mph's are comfortable on flats and slight grades, 45-55 up steep canyons. Then there is the Tacoma :smiley_drive: She'll run 100 down the dirt all day long!

attachment.php

Attachments

• E.Nev&W.Utah 2007 010 (Medium).jpg
    E.Nev&W.Utah 2007 010 (Medium).jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 377

SFROMAN

Adventurer
I figured something was wrong. I have air actuated transfer case and Im sure it is the culprit.
Is this knob supposed to be pushed into the dash in order to disengage the transfer case?

As you can see it is currently pulled out. If I push it in the cruiser wont move.

DEL

cruiseroutfit

Del, lets start from the beginning

1. What year is your Land Cruiser?
2. Does it have an original t-case? (if unsure a quick picture would help)
3. Do you have a low-range shifter on the floor? (next to trans shifter)
4. Do you have a tachometer? If so what are the RPM's is showing at 40mph?

Vacuum 4WD engagement was common Land Cruisers in the 60's, judging on your pocket door plate your Cruiser was a 3 spd originally. Now other than that nothing on your dash looks OE, the 4WD engagement is different, the key is different, the gauges, etc. A bunch more pictures would be helpful because its likely we are not dealing with a factory-esque issue so much as a problem with a conversion that was done.

That push-pull knob on the dash should only control 2WD to 4WD operation, not 4HI - 4LOW, so while its strange you get no gear when its pushed in, it isn't necissarily the culprit of your speed issue, unless its somehow connected to your TC hi/low shift mechanism. The factory vacuum setup was this way, when you pulled it hi-low it automatically pulled he cable into 4WD, but you could pull just the cable and get 4WD.

Box Rocket

Yeah there is definitely something not right. My 2F/SM420/3sp tcase/4.88's and 37's would cruise well at 70mph at ~3K rpms.

SFROMAN

Adventurer
The 40 is a 69 with a 350 sbc and an sm420 with stock toyota transfer case.
I will take it around the block and check the rpms when goin 40 mph.

SFROMAN

Adventurer
Ok well I went around a straight empty road by my neighborhood and got it as fast as it would go and it got up to 40 mph at 4000 rpm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles