Nps vs fg

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Well this can be a staring point for this thread anyway but maybe we'll stick with the current model NPS and FG. because of the huge difference to the previous models.

From Engineer in the ATW Cape York Thread
I'll get you started,

1. Greaseable centre bearing on NPS/NA on FG
2. Tubeless on NPS/ split rims on FG
3. Cableshift selectors on NPS/ Linkage on FG
4. as a "general" rule , drivers like FG, mechanics like NPS
Today 04:23 AM

engineer

Adventurer
Are you saying FG's get 2 part rims in your neck of the woods?
Correct Kerry, and I hate the bloody things.
Hey John, does the transfer case selector cable still rub on the front cross member? and hows my quote going?:drool:

oz101

John, why didn't you start this thread three months ago when I was trying to decide which one to buy! A hard choice.

The main reason I went for a FG was the DPD on the NPS, it seemed to hang down very low, and to many sensor wires and pipes coming out of it for my liking.

I phoned Isuzu to fined out if the DPD was water proof. they told me the wading depth of the NPS was only 300mm and if water was found in the DPD or any of the sensors it wouldn't be covered by the warranty. Not very good when you are 1000km from the nearest town and it decides to go in to limp mode.

Does anyone know what the official wading depth is on the FG?

kerry

Expedition Leader
Correct Kerry, and I hate the bloody things.
:

Putting split rims on FG's seems downright medieval. Why would they do that when they use tubeless in other parts of the world? Big stock of split rims they need to use up?

KEENO

Adventurer
Dpd?

I'm just getting interested in Cab Over trucks and playing catch up on some of the terms....

What is DPD?

Thanks KEENO :)

whatcharterboat

Sorry . With my home computer out I'll have to keep it short. Also I don't have a new NPS here to take pics of. Mick have you got one?

Hey John, does the transfer case selector cable still rub on the front cross member? and hows my quote going?

Chocko, One of the things I'll cover in the thread later.

Basically the new FG 84 has cable gear shift on the dash and cable 4wd selector where the old gear shift was. Really good. The dash mounted gear stick is awesome. You don't even have to take your hands off the wheel to shift. Also the 4wd selactor cables run down the passenger side now and they seem really smooth. I've re run ours on the expedition trucks and paid a lot of attention to making the run as smooth as possible. Only had to move them to make way for winches. You wouldn't even bother otherwise. 100% improvement over the old.

However Isuzu mustn't have been content with the old cables and went full electric/vacumn operated 4wd / low/hi range select. (Like the previous model FS550). So you just flick switches. They still have the gear shift in the conventional position.

And the quote...........Maybe tomorrow.............I'm still here at 7.30 at night.

engineer

Adventurer
haven't had a good look at the new model, only took it for a drive when they had it at Cairns, Some drivers don't like the cable shift. They were on the old FTS that i had on Fraser and can take some getting used to (but it was also a very old truck). It was great to catch up with Paul again, I used to work with him at Noosa Coach & body.
Looking forward to doing business with you, but my boss is very price driven. I should be able to persuade him!!
Chock

whatcharterboat

Noone of the flash techno exhaust on the FG!!!! (until 2011)

Chock. This is good news. I know all the beach operators are freaking out about it. We heard possibly next year but 2011 sounds even better. You can just imagine how long a DPD would last on Fraser Island. I imagine they won't be cheap to replace either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz