Vehicle mount, or pelican case for 7800?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I'm having a hard time making a decision as to mount my Yaesu 7800R in the Land Cruiser, or making it a portable unit, with a simple Quad-Helix or J-pole antenna with a small 12V battery in a pelican case.

I have a Yaesu 170 HT which lives in the truck, and does just fine for vehicle to vehicle communication....but sometimes it would be nice to have 55watts available.

Any thoughts?

-H-

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I have a nice little "go box" I made out of a Pelican. It's real rough but it works well with a mount on the outside for the remote head. I have a nice little 12ah gel cel inside and a cheap J pole - I use it sometimes on trips and keep the battery on a trickle charge so it's always ready.
Sorry about the large pic.

SawmillRace2k8078gobox.jpg

dms1

Explorer
Hey Cabrito, that looks like what I have been planning to do with the mobil unit I just purchased, would it be posible to post some closeups of the electrical connections you added to the Pelican case and how you mounted the battery inside?

Thanks

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Andrew,
If you already have a solution dedicated to the vehicle I think the high-powered portable version could be handy.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Broke down this weekend and mounted the 7800 in the truck. Nicely done with the face-separation kit....

-H-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior