100 Series master cylinder..yikes!

JohnnyS

Explorer
I took my 2K 100 to the shop today, as it has been having some braking trouble, and they said that I need a new master cylinder.
Parts alone are about $2700!! Plus another $200. for labor.
Ughh.
Anyone else replace a 100 series master cylinder recently?
Thanks.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
New Toyota master cylinder for your 2000: $1785 (msrp is about $21xx). Call Onur at American Toyota in Albuquerque for discounted OEM parts: 866-591-4837

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Man, thats rough.

What exactly are they saying is bad? The master proper? The booster? The pump?

obscurotron

Adventurer
Whoa. Educate me. What's the master cylinder made of? .9999 fine unobtanium, political ethics and hairs from Santa's beard?

WOW!

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
For the record, it is not a simple master cylinder but probably the whole brake assist system that includes the electric pump etc etc. What is wrong with it. Have never seen one go bad or heard of one go bad. I would make sure you are getting the correct diagnosis.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Obviously, I have no idea what this master cylinder is like because I can't imagine it costing that much. However, I rebuilt the master cylinders on a couple of FJ55's so I'd look into the possibility of having the existing one rebuilt rather than replaced.
Is Toyota trying to fund their brake recall repairs with your master cylinder?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Call American Toyota. For www.IH8MUD.com members, Dan (the parts mgr.) does 25% off list....which, from what is posted here, will likely save you several hundred dollars.

Go with OEM Toyota parts.

-H-

AndrewP

Explorer
I think on the 100 the booster is electric and built in as part of the MC. A totally dumb, needlessly complex, and expensive system.

A normal hydraulic MC costs $150 or so and so if you are used to that, the prices of this unit might seem crazy.

Still, it's your brakes, so pay up or drive something different. Unfortunately, it is that simple.

valkyrie

Adventurer
I took my 2K 100 to the shop today, as it has been having some braking trouble, and they said that I need a new master cylinder.
Parts alone are about $2700!! Plus another $200. for labor.
Ughh.
Anyone else replace a 100 series master cylinder recently?
Thanks.

$1,641 HERE

valkyrie

Adventurer
Actually there are 3. ;)

MY 2000 (7/99-5/00) W/VSC 47050-60041 ($1,641)
MY 2000 (5/00- 8/02) W/VSC 47050-60042 ($1,485)
MY 2000-02 (7/99-8/02) W/O 47050-60012 ($1,485)

The production years on the site can be confusing, which is why the VIN is absolutley necessary. However, it illustrates the point, which was the cost savings available to the OP who apparently is paying even greater-than-retail markup.

This brought up a good thought though- *some* old-school dealers may be resistant to intalling parts that weren't purchased through them. Although increasingly rare, sadly they do exist and that is something to inquire about prior to sourcing parts.

You just might up having to source another dealer if that is the case.

Best of luck Johnny!

hoser

Explorer
Like Christo said, the reason it is so expensive is because you are buying everything. The 100 has a hydraulic brake booster with an accumulator that stores pressure and an electric pump that builds pressure. It also has bunch of electronics on it which I think are the ABS solenoids. And then it has the actual master cylinder.

You can remove the M/C piston and seals just like any other M/C but I don't think Toyota sells a rebuild kit. I do see some aftermarket ones though.

On the plus side of this system, the brake booster will keep working when the engine is dead/not running. It doesn't rely on engine vacuum.... so go ahead and put those radical camshafts in! :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior