Reasonably priced O/U .12 gauge?

I'm considering a trip to Iowa for some pheasant hunting. I have a Remington 870 and I'm looking to upgrade. What are some reasonably priced over-under double barrels, less than $850, if they exist? I don't want a cheap gun, but I'd like a good value. A beginner double-gun, per se. What is everybody's two cents? Links would be awesome.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Wow! How can you shoot a .12 gauge? That'd be 6x bigger than a 2-bore like this?

2boremuzzle.jpg

J/K...the Daly is about the only OU in your price range I know of.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Or look at used O/U's. Might find a deal on something that would normally be out of your range.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I've never seen a quality O/U in that price range. You might be able to pick up a used Beretta Silver Onyx for around $1k-1300.

My hunting shotgun is my 870 and I've done pretty well with it for ducks and geese, but I've always liked the Beretta A391 Xtrema2 Synthetic.

I found a used one for you on Gun Broker going for only $799. These are sweet guns. Well balanced and reliable.

Sure, it's an auto-loader, but this would serve you well.

I've never seen a quality O/U in that price range.

Yeah, I know. Although I would love to have a really nice gun in the $2-4,000 range, I just can't validate it yet, and I'd feel guilty spending that much on a gun I wouldn't use all the time. That's why I'm looking for a beginner one of lower quality, so in a couple years I can appreciate buying a nicer one.

fisher205

Explorer
I'm using a Kahn 20 gauge o/u and really like it. I pheasant hunt every weekend in the fall. I believe that Kahn makes the Mossberg. They also have one that you can exchange barrels between the 20 and 12.

just check the fit. I preferred the feel of the Kahn over a Red Label and the Citori. I can't remember the Russian o/u I looked at but it was well within your price range.

wcdu

Observer
In that price range I would look for a used Ruger Red Label or a new CZ. I once found a very nice Browning Citori for $800.00. Do a liitle background work on what "off the face" means in double guns. They all have a finite life expectancy but some models like the Citori can be easily re-fitted by Browning.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I've never seen a quality O/U in that price range. You might be able to pick up a used Beretta Silver Onyx for around $1k-1300...

X2. Beretta 686 Onyx used should be around $850 or so. Very good guns and will last for a long time, parts and repair available if needed.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
X2. Beretta 686 Onyx used should be around $850 or so. Very good guns and will last for a long time, parts and repair available if needed.

Wow, I haven't looked that hard for one, but at the local gun club they sell them for a bit more.

Bobby, either the 686 or a Browning Citori would be a great find if you can get one in your price range. Either could be serviced by any competent gunsmith and would last you a long, long time.

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
Take a gander at CZ

I know several people who love their CZ/BRNO double shotguns. Take a look at the CZ Mallard 104A Over & Under Shotgun.

If you can spend a little more money, you can really step up in options.

If you will be doing a bit of walking, consider a 28ga. They are nice and light and have the same knock down power as a 12ga.

Ringneck 201A Mini Single Side By Side Shotgun
czuringneck.jpg

FAW3

Adventurer
I'm considering a trip to Iowa for some pheasant hunting. I have a Remington 870 and I'm looking to upgrade. What are some reasonably priced over-under double barrels, less than $850, if they exist? I don't want a cheap gun, but I'd like a good value. A beginner double-gun, per se. What is everybody's two cents? Links would be awesome.

I love pheasant hunting!!! For any reading this thread who haven't done it, you should try...even just walking public lands looking for these birds is one of life's great pleasures...fits in with camping/overlanding. Taste great too!

My trusty 870 12ga. has accounted for quite a few. The 870, with various barrels, can do just about anything that needs to be done, hunting and defense wise, in N.America...and there is a real benefit in having and being very skilled with one firearm platform that serves many purposes. The gun you have will work fine....but, since you ask:

I do not have many firearms, but the one gun I bought and still have never shown my wife the receipt for is a mid grade Browning Citori O/U. Shooting trap, or shooting birds, I doubt they know the difference from my 870...but I do. At some point in your life you get to buy and hold something special...for me, this gun is it. The fit, finish and the wood just calls to me. I'll be passing this one down to my son. Was it worth it? Yes, sometimes you just need to go with what you want.

Shoot and handle some of the O/U types, don't focus on price as much as what actually fits you. Shop somewhere you can mount and get the true feel of the stock against your shoulder and along your cheek, how your eyes line up above the barrel. You should be able to mount, and position your head all with eyes closed...and when you open your eyes should be looking right over the barrel...no secondary adjustments at your shoulder or your head...just a natural point of aim. Find a gun that "holds you" as well as you hold it, then, buy it and enjoy it. The price should not be your primary factor...keep the 870 going and jump in with both feet when you find YOUR O/U.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior