Chevy AWD

kntr

Observer
I just bought a 2006 Chevy AWD Express van. Id like to lift it a little to fit 33" tires under it. I cant find a lift. Is there a truck lift that will work? What about a 2" body lift and just torsion up the front and a block in the rear? Ideas? Im new to the site and hope to have this van hooked up soon.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Overland Vans doesn't offer anything specifically for AWD Express vans, but they do cover the 2WD stuff, you may be able to cobble something together.

Not sure how the Express/Savanna is built, but the Astro/Safari lift kit is exactly as you describe, a 2" body spacer then crank the torsion bars (offset torsion keys are provided). If the Express is built in a similar way, you may be able to adapt.

kntr

Observer
Thanks for the info. I was thinking the AWD Express might have suspension close to another Chevy vehicle.

Anyone else know?

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Kntr,
Hate to be the truck driver of bad news but the awd express uses a spindle that is specific to the awd express, Or at least that is what i was told by the previous owner of overland vans! However you could do a small body lift for some tire clearance.
Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Derek

jeremiahak

I've seen a few people claim online that the Express shares the Avalanche platform. I'd start there, and good luck. Please post your findings here, because I've been interested in the same thing for a work van of mine.

Jeremiah

kntr

Observer
I plan on a 2" bodylift and then Ill just put in a different torsion bar key and a rear block.

I did a 500 mile road trip today and I got 19 mpg on the first tank and 20 mpg on the second tank. I sure am going to miss this great gas mileage when I go to 33s.

JMyerz

Adventurer
I've got the same Van and so far its great! Amazed your getting 20 though! Time for a tune up I guess...

I've been searching lifts and while I still need to run down to Revtek to verify this, I believe that their torsion bar leveling kit will work on the Express.

http://revtek.com/gmcsusp.asp

It will yield 2" upfront which should help clearing 33's and the rear should be simple enough to figure out with some custom springs.

kntr

Observer
I have heard the Rough Country leveling kit will work. The kit comes with new keys for the front and a 1" block for the rear. I might give it a shot. The only thing is the van is 6'7" tall and parking garages are 6'8". ;)

JMyerz

Adventurer
With the surf racks, parking garages are out anyway... plus I never mind walking a few blocks if need be :jumping:

kntr

Observer
With the surf racks, parking garages are out anyway... plus I never mind walking a few blocks if need be :jumping:
Wheels and tires are on. I went with BFG ATs and 17" Gunners. No lift. :(

DSC03977.jpg

DSC03975.jpg

Bike rack almost done. The bins work great to pack stuff in. Still need doors, so we can sleep on top of the rack when the bikes are not in. The plan is two doors that open in the middle and rest against the sides when open. Then Ill carpet the top. Should be done tomorrow.
DSC03765.jpg

Last edited:

dwalt

Here's mine with 33's. Two inch blocks in the rear, and torsion keys bottomed out. It rubbed the fenders a little at full lock, but you could live with it.

820349848_o8Cmv-M.jpg

1006544848_Mmmyx-M.jpg

I took those tires off. They were some used I bought off of a wrecked truck, load range E. It rode like a buckboard, even with 24psi. I'm looking for some 33"C's, but have not had any luck finding any. May have to go with D's.

kntr

Observer
good lookin van and bighit u got there. i ride a bighit 2 and like it pretty well.
Its my daughters Gromhit. It has 24" wheels and 5" of travel. The other Specialized bike is my wife's SX TRail.

I took those tires off. They were some used I bought off of a wrecked truck, load range E. It rode like a buckboard, even with 24psi. I'm looking for some 33"C's, but have not had any luck finding any. May have to go with D's.

It rides like a buckboard because the torsion keys are bottomed out. Get some Rough Country keys for a Chevy pickup and it will ride almost like stock.

Last edited:

dwalt

Its my daughters Gromhit. It has 24" wheels and 5" of travel. The other Specialized bike is my wife's SX TRail.

I rides like a buckboard because the torsion keys are bottomed out. Get some Rough Country keys for a Chevy pickup and it will ride almost like stock.

Nope....

It rides so much better with the new (31C's) tires. I Left the torsion bars like they were.

BTW, new torsion bar keys just twist the bar further than possible with the stock keys, they don't do beans to improve the ride.

kntr

Observer
Nope....

It rides so much better with the new (31C's) tires. I Left the torsion bars like they were.

BTW, new torsion bar keys just twist the bar further than possible with the stock keys, they don't do beans to improve the ride.

I just noticed changing the keys helped a ton on my Chevy pickup. I had the stock keys cranked and it rode like crap. I put the different keys on and cranked the truck to the same height and it rode waaay better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles