2m NMO vs UHF antenna mount

85CUCV

Adventurer
I just received my callsign and I'm trying to come up with a 2m mobile. I plan to use a FT-2900r radio and a Diamond NR770 antenna with a NMO mount on my K5's roof.

I also want to be able to place the radio in our WJ. Does anyone know offhand if the Diamond Antenna K540 mount uses an antenna with a UHF mount? What is the difference? Bottom line do I need two antennas? I also want to use a Diamond NR770 on the WJ.

Dan

Last edited:

rambrush

Adventurer
You are facing the same problem I have. I am also running the 770 on the truck. I will be buying a 2nd 770 with a mag mount that I can use on the car or work truck.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
My own approach has been to standardize on NMO mounts. I have a range of different antennas, including one cb band, that all use the NMO mount. Then I can swap antennas around to different vehicles for what ever my current need is.

Phreak480

Army Guy
My own approach has been to standardize on NMO mounts. I have a range of different antennas, including one cb band, that all use the NMO mount. Then I can swap antennas around to different vehicles for what ever my current need is.

i'd have to agree. and hell if you want they make adapters to go from nmo to other mount types. you can get them for uhf (so239) and for cb (3/8-24). but its sure nice to only have 1 type of mount in the roof so you can rearrange your install as necessary.

85CUCV

Adventurer
I would like to standardize the antennas if possible. The diamond K540 and K550 do not appear to accept NMO antennas. My K5 is already drilled for a NMO so it makes since to use it. I would like to keep it consistant vehicle to vehicle. I could drill our WJ. I might fab an NMO mount for my WJ luggage rack.

NMO Magnetic mounts are available. Magnetic mounts scare me. I'm afraid they could become a flying projectile. (I must add I have absolutely no experiance to back that up).

Anyone with a Diamond K540 or K550 know if it could be drilled out to except an NMO antenna?

Thanks for the input gentleman.

Dan

MCL_68

Observer
I would like to standardize the antennas if possible. The diamond K540 and K550 do not appear to accept NMO antennas. My K5 is already drilled for a NMO so it makes since to use it. I would like to keep it consistant vehicle to vehicle. I could drill our WJ. I might fab an NMO mount for my WJ luggage rack.

NMO Magnetic mounts are available. Magnetic mounts scare me. I'm afraid they could become a flying projectile. (I must add I have absolutely no experiance to back that up).

Anyone with a Diamond K540 or K550 know if it could be drilled out to except an NMO antenna?

Thanks for the input gentleman.

Dan

How about getting the Diamond K515SNMO it is also a luggage rack type mount like the K540 AND K550.

It already has a NMO base hole in it.

K515SNMO.jpg

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I was recently looking at NMO mag bases for a particular trip. I was interested to notice that the pounds pull of the bases were listed, I think that I was looking at the antenna farm's site. Never seen that on cb mag bases.

85CUCV

Adventurer
How about getting the Diamond K515SNMO it is also a luggage rack type mount like the K540 AND K550.

It already has a NMO base hole in it.

MCL 68 I've been looking online at that particular mount. I'm not sure it will work on the stock WJ rack. I saw it was a NMO. I thought if they offered it in that mount they would with the same mount base as the K550 or K540.

I think I'm going to just work on the K5 and work on the WJ later.

Gary in Ohio
I got to looking closer at the Larson Antennas. What would happen if one purchased the NMO 2/70S (Spring) and replaced the whip with a 2m 1/4 wave for 2m use only? Do you think it could be made to work? I like the idea of a 23inch spring/tilt antenna on a fullsize K5 with less overhead clearance. The spring and whip are easy to find I have not found the Larson NMO/UHF base.

I just looked again the stock NMO 2/70SH is only 19inches long. No point in changing whips.

Last edited:

85CUCV

Adventurer
Looked at the hole in my K5 roof last night. It is 3/4". I never realized how flimsy the roof was! I'd better go with a 1/4wave antenna.

M

mike6187

I installed the AutoLoc Hidden Antennas in my two cars. The antenna works very well. Installed it into a good position and still camouflage the wiring.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Looked at the hole in my K5 roof last night. It is 3/4". I never realized how flimsy the roof was! I'd better go with a 1/4wave antenna.
1/4 wave won't perform very well on a fiberglass roof, it needs a ground plane. The Larsen 5/8 wave might be a better choice for your application.
Dan

85CUCV

Adventurer
1/4 wave won't perform very well on a fiberglass roof, it needs a ground plane. The Larsen 5/8 wave might be a better choice for your application.
Dan
It is going in the center of the cab (metal). The roof was already drilled so I was going to use an existing 3/4 inch hole. I picked up a Larson 1/4 wave to try. If it does not work I'll go longer. I just wanted to keep it short for overhead clearance and because of the flimsy nature of the CUCV roof. 1/4 wave is not my first choice. Do you think it will have enough ground plane?

If it warms up I'll let you guys know how it works.

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94