885 vs 886

It seems there are not to many 4cyl 4wd tacos out there running OME setups. I am ready to order OME stuff in all four corners and am not sure which springs to go with up front. I have full Budbuilt skids and 265/75/16 BFG ATs on stock wheels. My question is do I want 886s still even if I have a 4cyl? My truck already rides stiff and "truckish" with the load range E tires and I dont want to make it ride really harsh. I plan to add a plate bumper, ARB or All pro, as well as winch later on down the line and I assume I will want 886s then but for the price of $75 a spring should I just go 885s for now?

Anyone with 1st hand knowledge on a 4cyl access cab with OME springs would be very helpful.

Thanks
Ben

tacollie

Glamper
I am fairly certain they are the same spring rate, the 886s are just taller. If you want more lift go with the 886.

WASURF63

Adventurer
Ben,

I know you are looking for first hand 4cyl XCab user feedback.
Can't give you that, but can add a bit of feedback on 885's in the meantime.
I tested them for a couple months on my '08 Tacoma DC before switching to
886's.
I did not have a winch/bumper on that rig like you're planning, but had sliders and a fair bit of weight in the rear (canopy,bedrack,RTT,OBW,rear awning,dual fuel cans,etc.)
Note: I also ran the OME Dakar/HD in the rear.

I felt the 885's were too soft for my liking in all but "on road" use.
They might have worked just fine on a Tacoma with hardly any planned weight gain modifications and light duty use in mind.
Not too much of a hassle to switch them out, but a hassle and a few added $$$ none the less.
With all the extra weight it looks like you're planning, your going to have a "truckish" ride anyway, and >tacollie< is correct about the 886's giving you more lift (up front) as well, but the spring rate is different IIRC.

>TACODOC<
"886 gets my vote, do it right and do it once" .......this is good advice.

Just my .02:)

tomesd

Observer
I'd go with 886's as well- they'll be stiff but will soften up with time and weight. The 885's will definately sag.

dta

I have a very similar question and I am guessing that people are going to also say to go with the 886, but I figure I mine as well ask.

I have a double cab 4X4 with the 6 banger, but I am thinking I will run only a lighter (quite possibly AL) aftermarket bumper without a winch for some time. I do often have a lot of weight in my rig (and while its mostly in the back clearly that still matters somewhat). I may eventually add a winch, but I just don't think I will use it that often so its down the purchase list in priority. I have no real aversion to a truckish ride, but I have heard the 886 are really setup for a bumper and winch. Assuming it would be just the bumper would people suggest 885s or 886s?

Thanks

Mechanical

Adventurer
(and while its mostly in the back clearly that still matters somewhat)
Thanks

A = F [1-(L-x)/w]

-where-

A = added force on the front suspension
F = cargo weight
L = Distance from the tailgate to the front wheel
x = Distance from the tailgate to the cargo
w= Truck's wheelbase

Positive numbers add force to the front suspension while negative numbers subtract force.

-so-

If I have 500 lbf of cargo. Located 48 inches in front of the tailgate (about where a toolbox would be located). Distance from the tailgate to my front tire is 180 inches and the truck has a 156 wheelbase.

F = 500 lbf
L = 180 in
x = 48 in
w = 156 in

A = 500[1-(180-48)/156]
A = 76.92 lbf of extra weight on your front springs

May be helpful, maybe not. Either way, I got my nerdy in for the morning.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
For a stockish or lightly built truck, the 886's will be too tall and stiff for most applications IMO. If your plan includes a plate bumper, winch, heavy duty skids, dual batteries and similar setups, then I'd recommend the 886's. Also, if you remove the front sway bar, then that would be another reason to adopt the higher spring rate. Otherwise the 885's will ride a bit better in "normal mixed use conditions" and should meet the stock -> medium build crowd.

dta

Mechanical-

That is exactly what I am talking about. I hadn't bothered to sit down and run any numbers yet--even though I am all for getting my nerd on every now and then--but even without running the calcs you know that bed weight will have a diluted impact on front springs. Add to that the fact that I normally am running around with at least one other person and 100 lbs of dog in the cab (yes my hound rides in the cab and not a bed box; he's spoiled like that). Then it looks like I may also be adding a rack over the cab which would often have ~100-150 on it. You don't have to run the numbers to know that those pounds count more.

On the other hand I have heard others say the same thing as Jacket. I have read in a few threads that the OME 886 are supposedly tuned for something like 100-200 lbs of additional weight up front. Adding a AL bumper alone would only be something like ~30 lbs over stock. Then there is the other stuff we were talking about above, but one would have to assume that in talking about the "additional weight" thing OME and others are at least assuming you would have a driver up front already and some sundries in the bed.

I am kind of thinking that if I do a cab rack or am really heavy otherwise then I should go for the 886 but if not I should just take Jacket's advice and assume that OME 885 have some extra built in already.

Mechanical

Adventurer
Well, weight in front of the front axle will have a much more profound effect on your springs than weight behind the front axle. Using my hypothetical example from the earlier post (btw I just pulled those numbers out of my *** I have no idea what the actual numbers for a double cab would be):

Adding 150 lbf 6 inches in front of the front tires yields 156 lbf on the springs. While adding 150 lbf 6 inches behind the front tires (maybe your dog sleeping on the floorboard) yields 144 lbf on the front springs.

Just more food for thought.

BTW I just ordered 886 for my truck, but I don't think I'll put them on until I get a plate bumper.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I ran them both on my Tacoma, and there is a noticeable difference in "stiffness." But ultimately it's about different people's opinions weighed against your comfort level and performance needs. And how a spring feels on that maiden test drive versus how it feels after 15k miles can be vastly different, so consider that as you make your decision. I was very happy with the 886's and how well they performed in most cases (my truck was fully armored and winched and de-swaybared.

But regardless of what you choose, it's not a huge cost to jump from one spring to the other if you need to change, especially if you can do your own R&R.

my 886s, dakars, and OME shocks/struts will be here tomorrow and I will put them on saturday so I will post up what the ride is like....standby :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior