6.2 diesel in a G

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
Howdy All,
Please no flaming. I did a search but came up empty. Has anyone put a 6.2 Detroit in a G-Wagen?
Thanks,
Chas

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
I really don't know the 603 or the 606 that well. I've read about the 606 with the 603 injector pump to keep it mechanical. I'm just looking for "enough" power and ease of repair for the long term. What tranny would work with the 603/606?
Thanks,
Chas

somesnowday

I put a om603 in my 81' LWB last year and loved it very much. I put 5 speed overdrive trans behind it that came out of 190e 2.6. Other 190e trans fit the bell housing of the 603 and 606 I believe. You can also use the auto trans that came in the sdl which would work really well. The motor trans set up I put in was much faster than the 6 cyl gas I took out. It was faster on the freeway, faster getting to speed, and had way more torque.

-
Craig

zimm

Expedition Leader
if youre not looking for a stump puller, my guess is the the merc motor would be easiest. youll spend just as much on a 6.2... then you have a tranny issue, so youll swap that, then youll have an output shaft issue, and that 'll be custom and spendy.

im not saying a us drivetrain swap wouldnt be worth it if the parts and pieces already existed, but as of now, there are no kits that ive seen, and that makes it a custom route.

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
Thanks for the responses Craig and Zimm,
I'm not looking for "stump pulling" but for durability and parts in the future. I'm not wanting the computer thing. How does the tranny from the 190 2.6 mate to the the t-case? I'm not married to any engine at this point. The overdrive would be a plus for the tranny.
Thanks guys,
Chas

zimm

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the responses Craig and Zimm,
I'm not looking for "stump pulling" but for durability and parts in the future. I'm not wanting the computer thing. How does the tranny from the 190 2.6 mate to the the t-case? I'm not married to any engine at this point. The overdrive would be a plus for the tranny.
Thanks guys,
Chas

ahhhh... grasshopper.... the t-case is divorced. there is a short shaft between it, and the transmission. cv's on 463 models.

the od is a plus, but i do not know the low gearing of that car tranny, and i doubt it holds first like the 4 speed, (not that a 3.2 holding first will grind you to a halt or anything) so i suppose its a barter between offroad, highway and your intended use.

the G 5speeds in the gassers mated to the v3.2/v5.0 (ice ice baby) methinks. (i have the I6 and the lowly 4speed) and as i discussed with Karl when i was making frownie faces at my lack of an OD, a swap would be getting into probable computer interface issues, and i just said phauquit, and looked no further. mine is an overland offroader. i'd rather put the money into a GigglepinWarn 8274-50 or something equally as useless but cool looking. im alllllll about conversation.

http://www.4x4abc.com/G-Class/transmissions/getriebe.html

id email the guy in the website above. he has all the answers. you'll also want to ask him about how to get rid of the 1 wheel drive when your diffs arnt locked. hes alllll about education. :)

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
Thanks Master Zimm, I didn't know they were divorced. I'll get under one and measure for the total length possible. I've put a few engines in vehicles and the divorced set up is much easier. It will be a vehicle for my wife when I get done, so, extreme wheeling it won't see.....
Thanks again for the information,
Chas

zimm

Expedition Leader
Thanks Master Zimm, I didn't know they were divorced. I'll get under one and measure for the total length possible. I've put a few engines in vehicles and the divorced set up is much easier. It will be a vehicle for my wife when I get done, so, extreme wheeling it won't see.....
Thanks again for the information,
Chas

looking forward to pics! i was telling another g owner last week that i see a market for drive train swaps in these. as the 463's drop in price, the big hurdle is they are still a 100,000 buck truck to maintain. a clean GM or ford swap kit would be the economical way to put another 150,000 miles on this brick of a chassis. if one was to actually "gut" the rig and make an adapter end for the t-case shaft, the next biggest hurdle i see making an aesthetic interface with the auto trans shifter... there'll be some interesting fitting going on there. mines is pre 2002, so it has the window and seat switches on the center console. creativity would be necessary.

if youre really spunky, cummins has some newer mid size diesel motors....

http://cumminsengines.com/sites/every/applications/light_commercial/isf38_lcv.page

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
ahhhh... grasshopper.... the t-case is divorced. there is a short shaft between it, and the transmission. cv's on 463 models.

the od is a plus, but i do not know the low gearing of that car tranny, and i doubt it holds first like the 4 speed, (not that a 3.2 holding first will grind you to a halt or anything) so i suppose its a barter between offroad, highway and your intended use.

the G 5speeds in the gassers mated to the v3.2/v5.0 (ice ice baby) methinks. (i have the I6 and the lowly 4speed) and as i discussed with Karl when i was making frownie faces at my lack of an OD, a swap would be getting into probable computer interface issues, and i just said phauquit, and looked no further. mine is an overland offroader. i'd rather put the money into a GigglepinWarn 8274-50 or something equally as useless but cool looking. im alllllll about conversation.

http://www.4x4abc.com/G-Class/transmissions/getriebe.html

id email the guy in the website above. he has all the answers. you'll also want to ask him about how to get rid of the 1 wheel drive when your diffs arnt locked. hes alllll about education. :)

Well guys,

thanks for keeping this forum rolling......I promise, even with an chopped up G-wagen with an Detroit diesel or any other rice-oil burner, you are still welcome here.

It will be for sure an education for all of us, it really does help when you do know what are you talking about - like the guy at 4x4abc
I didn't no that we had a divorce case, as a transfer.

For anybody with a real fear of electronics in the current automobiles - Amazon still has a garage sale for almost unused 8-track players:sombrero:

I just love my Bus-CAN....wait until I open it:smiley_drive:

OK, Zimm, let it be heard:sombrero:

6404285utc.jpg

Last edited:

zimm

Expedition Leader
Well guys,

thanks for keeping this forum rolling......I promise, even with an chopped up G-wagen with an Detroit diesel or any other rice-oil burner, you are still welcome here.

It will be for sure an education for all of us, it really does help when you do know what are you talking about - like the guy at 4x4abc
I didn't no that we had a divorce case, as a transfer.

For anybody with a real fear of electronics in the current automobiles - Amazon still has a garage sale for almost unused 8-track players:sombrero:

I just love my Bus-CAN....wait until I open it:smiley_drive:

OK, Zimm, let it be heard:sombrero:

6404285utc.jpg

:)

oh yea. you just wait till we improve this german turd with good 'ol fashioned yota 13b-t. hooohaaaaa. now were talking crawl.

Last edited:

zimm

Expedition Leader
i think a cummins 4bt was meant to be mated with a G. an over weight indestructible block, meets an overweight indestructible block. you decide which is which.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I really don't know the 603 or the 606 that well. I've read about the 606 with the 603 injector pump to keep it mechanical. I'm just looking for "enough" power and ease of repair for the long term. What tranny would work with the 603/606?
Thanks,
Chas

Hey Chas,

I'd also say 603A(12V) or 606A(24V) w/ 603 injection pump.
The 190E 2.6 tranny like Craig(snow) used will work or I've heard of another guy across the world (on his 2nd 606A swap into W460 chassis) using a Sprinter 2.7L (5spd)tranny.

Which G are you putting this into?

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
Howdy mk216v,
I don't have the G. I'm looking at a 460 because of our emission laws and ages. In the past I've purchased the vehicle and then try to figure out.....what do I do now. I'm being forward thinking this time. My wife loves the shape of the G and would give up her ML (something that could really cost me soon) for it. I'm hoping to have a vehicle up and running before the ML dies.
Thanks,
Chas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles