PDA

View Full Version : 1964 FJ40 build up=Childhood dreams coming to life

fj40offroad
04-13-2011, 07:29 AM
Hello all,
I would like to introduce my baby to the community, some of you may recognize her, and may remember some of the extended story, I hope you enjoy this! I have been asked to put up a thread of this build up for several reasons, most of all I need to keep myself motivated to keep turning the wrenches. I love it, however over the past few years working on a chemical engineering major and life has gotten in the way. I am going to try to use this as a revitalization to finish this project that lives in my dreams, has donated more iron to my blood then anything else, is practically a phlebotomist with how much blood it has taken from me, and left several memorable scars across my body. She has been a work in progress in my hands since 2002. At the age of 15 I begged my father to allow me to start fixing up the Land Cruiser that hadn't been running since the 1980's it had been simply sitting in the yard as an ornament for years. Bringing it back to life, and cruising it down in Moab had been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember.

Growing up I loved to sneak out and sit in the cruiser in which I imagined to be on any number of adventures, driving her down a trail, outrunning banditos in Mexico, or doing recon in the military. The very least I can say it was a very prominent part of my early years.

Well enough of the nostalgia, in 2002 I knew the Cruiser needed:
-New brake lines
-Exhaust
-Complete fluid change
Of course at the age of 15 I was dreaming of doing the basic fixes, getting it registered and having it drivable by 16! YA RIGHT!!!! LOL

Now in 2002 the cruiser was sporting some mods my father had done years before the family put a damper on enjoying the cruiser. He had outfitted it with: an International inline 6 turbo diesel adapted to a 4-speed MT that he replaced the old 3-speed with.
Custom front and rear bumper
I honestly cannot remember all of the modifications he had done to it. You will probably see some in the tear down photos.

Well a couple weekends after first pulling the cruiser out to the driveway, we had new filters and fluids in the engine. Tossed a bucket of diesel under the cruiser, connected the battery, and turned her over. After several attempts, black smoke came billowing out of the chopped exhaust, and the old engine roared to life. I can't say I could have been any happier to see her turn over, see the smoke, and immediately thoughts of having the cruiser as my first vehicle filled my head. How cool could it be to have Land Cruiser, that I could spend time building up and take down to Moab.

Well lets just say reality took a little while to kick in, not to mention I am the son of an engineer, an engineer whose baby had just roared back to life after sitting for 15 years dead under a tarp. To say it lightly the gears in my dads head went into overdrive, and my brain was quickly aligning itself with him to do the rebuild correctly!

So into the axles we dove to fix the brakes. The first obvious modification would be to toss out those old worn out drum breaks of course!! Well this is the beginning of the long haul, here is a photo of when I first pulled out the cruiser and a couple teasers.

Well its getting late so I better be off to sit down with my textbooks!
Cheers

cruiseroutfit
04-13-2011, 07:55 AM
Welcome and nice Cruiser :cool:

LJ_24
04-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Awesome story! I plan on replicating a BJ40 that my dad had when I was younger...except with more mods! I was only 10 years old the last time I saw the BJ40 but I still remember all the plans I had for it. For now, I will stick to building up my 100 series daily driver lol

Goodluck! Keep us updated with progress :)

cruiseroutfit
04-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Wait a second, is this the Bovee diesel 40? :cool:

Topgun514
04-13-2011, 05:12 PM
This story is from is Bovee, I pursuaded him last night to post up on this because of his awesome rig.

I will let L.Bovee tell the rest of the story but I will give a few numbers

6.5L

4Rescue
04-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Sweet, I can't wait to see this build...Subscribed.

Cheers

Dave

cruiseroutfit
04-13-2011, 07:32 PM
This story is from is Bovee, I pursuaded him last night to post up on this because of his awesome rig...

Right on, excited to finally see this Cruiser I've heard about so many times! Leighton right?

fj40offroad
04-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Yes sir Kurt, Leighton Bovee at your service, good guess by the way, although how many 40's are that full under the bonnet!!! lol It has been way to long in process, hopefully I can get you all up to speed fairly quickly, but I will try to keep enough detail, that its an educational venture! ;-)

Here are some more of the original look of the cruiser! I am currently searching old files looking for Cruiser photos, since they all got scattered to the wind over the years. enjoy!!

Oh and since you spilled the beans Colin, lol jk its a Chev 6.5TD mated to an NV4500 and split with an Orion from AA!! But we will get there soon!!! ;-)

cruisertoy
04-14-2011, 02:58 AM
Fun. My 40 has been sitting for at least 8 years now. My 5 yr old keeps wanting to get it running. Maybe I should just tell him to wait until he's 15.

fj40offroad
12-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Well its been forever so I am sorry for the delay, Chemical Engineering is keeping me way to busy. So I will try to cover one topic our fabrication of the dual caliper rear disc brakes. We wanted to have the dual calipers for the sincere ability to if the need arose to be able to lock the rear wheels up with the emergency brake. So we designed and built a bracket that would hold one 1982 Chevy Monte Carlo caliper, and a rear caliper off a 1980 Cadillac, both fit nicely with the the 1970's F150 disc, the Cadillac caliper allowed us to incorporate a dedicated caliper to the E-braking, with the Monte Carlo running the hydraulics.
Here are a couple photos to show you what we did! Enjoy

We first build a wooden mount to make sure everything was going to fit properly
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee387/fj40offroad/64%20FJ40/P001270.jpg
The rusty rear axle housing
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee387/fj40offroad/64%20FJ40/P001257.jpg
The refurbished caliper is the Monte Carlo here we made sure everything fit perfectly
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee387/fj40offroad/64%20FJ40/P001282.jpg
Used the wood model as a sketch
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee387/fj40offroad/64%20FJ40/P001285.jpg
Spent painstaking time to get it cut out perfectly, many of you will think this was a waste of time but remember our tolerances had to be right, and the mounting holes were very close to the cuts.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee387/fj40offroad/64%20FJ40/P001288.jpg
Before installation
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee387/fj40offroad/64%20FJ40/P001299.jpg
Had to fabricate a small 1/8 spacer for the mounting hardware to fit properly as seen here
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee387/fj40offroad/64%20FJ40/P001941.jpg
On the axle
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee387/fj40offroad/64%20FJ40/P001603.jpg
Mounted before the axle was swapped to spring over configuration
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee387/fj40offroad/64%20FJ40/P001597.jpg
After spring over conversion
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee387/fj40offroad/64%20FJ40/P001945.jpg
Hope you enjoyed this post I will try to continue adding more of the build
Cheers

RMP&O
12-26-2011, 08:16 AM
nicely done, looks fantastic!

cruiseroutfit
12-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Very cool Leighton, excited to see more updates :cool:

marshal
12-27-2011, 02:13 PM
MOAR!!!

12-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Cool project and creative thinking.

How are you going to activate the emergency brake calipers, a line lock or what?

fj40offroad
01-04-2012, 05:11 AM
Cool project and creative thinking.

How are you going to activate the emergency brake calipers, a line lock or what?

The original idea was to use a cable direct. Most reliable, however this has not been installed or really worked on, so its up to discussion! Any ideas will be evaluated.

esh
01-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Please do keep the thread updated!

I have a '64 FJ40 but it is 4th or 5th in line for work as a rejuvination project. Solid/perfect body and top, getting an '82 BJ42 engine and drivetrain, OEM soft top and a split windshield. Just need to get the other projects out of the way to get to it.

Can't wait to see more of yours. Love the ebrake approach. Looking great so far!

fireflyr
01-12-2012, 09:01 PM
I have a '67 and am facing a similar dilemma. I'm curious why you are using both the Caddy and Monte Carlo calipers. I just installed the Monte Carlo calipers and need to use a proportioning valve to reduce the rear braking forces. I would imagine the Caddy caliper would be plenty and you would still have the use of the cable activated parking brake. When I installed an H42 four speed I kept the transfercase mounted drum brake and installed new shoes but still can't get the parking brake to hold the vehicle (even with the adjuster to max). I may have a stretched cable.
I entertained the thought of engineering a motorcycle disc and caliper with brackets to take it's place but am still trying to reason it out. Replacing the Monte Carlo calipers with the Caddy ones may be the solution. The cable / linkage to activate it is another matter.
I will be watching this thread.

Not sure what you are doing for a master cylinder but Man A Fre sells a Summit Racing dual circuit mc with adapter. Adapting the 9mm fittings is another animal.

fireflyr
01-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Here's the beloved drum parking brake.

GLTHFJ60
01-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Subscribed. Looking great thus far!I'm also confused as to why you decided to use two calipers per side for the rear axle. It's a bad thing to have the rears lock up before the front, so unless you're doing something similar up front, I'd imagine that will happen quite often.

cruiseroutfit
01-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Leighton, who's canvas are you running on the factory soft top? Paki? Looks very nice!

esh
01-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Subscribed. Looking great thus far!I'm also confused as to why you decided to use two calipers per side for the rear axle. It's a bad thing to have the rears lock up before the front, so unless you're doing something similar up front, I'd imagine that will happen quite often.

The second caliper is ONLY for e-brake, that is why it is genius. The rear calipers used for RDB that include an ebrake setup generally give up after a year's use.

fj40offroad
04-19-2012, 05:41 AM
I have a '67 and am facing a similar dilemma. I'm curious why you are using both the Caddy and Monte Carlo calipers. I just installed the Monte Carlo calipers and need to use a proportioning valve to reduce the rear braking forces. I would imagine the Caddy caliper would be plenty and you would still have the use of the cable activated parking brake. When I installed an H42 four speed I kept the transfercase mounted drum brake and installed new shoes but still can't get the parking brake to hold the vehicle (even with the adjuster to max). I may have a stretched cable.
I entertained the thought of engineering a motorcycle disc and caliper with brackets to take it's place but am still trying to reason it out. Replacing the Monte Carlo calipers with the Caddy ones may be the solution. The cable / linkage to activate it is another matter.
I will be watching this thread.

Not sure what you are doing for a master cylinder but Man A Fre sells a Summit Racing dual circuit mc with adapter. Adapting the 9mm fittings is another animal.

Hey Fireflyr,
Sorry this took 4 months to respond trying my best to finish my junior year in chemical engineering with out throwing in the towel, only reason I am on right now before getting out of school is a car on 4th south in SLC took me out on the KLR650 and now I am sitting in bed for at least the next week. Damn chick drove away along with everyone else, no witnesses so if anyone knows anything, please let me know. I can see Esh on the 3rd page did a good job summing it up. I used the 2 calipers for the rear braking system. Since you have been having the issue with the E-brake our system would probably work perfectly for you, will take a sec to fab up the mounts but once in place, you will be golden and you wont have the issue Esh mentioned where the calipers give up after a year or so.

By the way beautiful rides and very jealous.

fj40offroad
04-19-2012, 05:45 AM
Leighton, who's canvas are you running on the factory soft top? Paki? Looks very nice!

Hey Kurt, funny you called Colin while I was in the hospital, well I am back out and have a few seconds of boredom between trying to get my brain back on studies and popping pills. Well I am not sure what soft top you are referring to, I have the one we picked up from you about 6 years ago, still in a bag, right now the only soft top is the tarp ;-( keeping the engine dry from the leaks in the roof!! ;-( Hope all is well! Cheers

cruiseroutfit
04-19-2012, 05:52 AM
Hey Kurt, funny you called Colin while I was in the hospital, well I am back out and have a few seconds of boredom between trying to get my brain back on studies and popping pills. Well I am not sure what soft top you are referring to, I have the one we picked up from you about 6 years ago, still in a bag, right now the only soft top is the tarp ;-( keeping the engine dry from the leaks in the roof!! ;-( Hope all is well! Cheers

Yeah bud, I was really bummed to hear about your accident but glad to hear your doing OK and things are looking up and up. Finish school and then worry about your Cruiser. Stop by the shop one of these days and say hello (once your back moving again that is) :D