5th gen trail edition or 100 series cruiser? I can't figure it out.

cnielsen4130

I'm on the market for a new rig, I have fallen in love with the new 2010-2011 4runner trail edition, while originally looking for a nice 100 series land cruiser....

Both would be financed if I purchased.... Both would slowly be expo-ish rigs....

The 4runner will set me back close to 40k, but be brand new, no miles, nice warranty, low intrest financing from Toyota.... I would use it for camping, trips, eventually some nice trail events, etc.... no kids... Just me and the girlfriend, and a dog sooner or later.

I'm looking at NICE 100 series land cruisers, around 2003-2004, or even some Lexus lx470s..... Of course they have 50k - 80k miles on them, but are extremely clean, loaded, and they are legends...

Getting a little nervous of buying new if I got the 4runner.....

The 100 series seem to hold their value pretty well, not SO concerned with this, because I don't plan to sell, but you never know?

I just keep looking at the luxurious 100 series I could have for around 30k... 10k cheaper then the runnner, but the trail edition is pretty spiffy?

What do you guys think...

joneseyyy

Explorer
I vote trail edition, but then again I am biased...also consider that the 5th gen 4runner gets around 20 mpg stock ( highway) and mine gets ab 17 with a lift and big roof rack.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
My only thought would be that AFAIK the 100 is something of an "orphan" in terms of aftermarket support. Also with gas staying in the $3.50/$4.00 range, the difference in MPG could be the difference between going out somewhere and staying home.

Of course, the flip side is that you ought to be able to get a 100 for less than half the cost of a brand new TE (which is one reason I will never, ever, again buy new ;) ) and the $20k you save by going with a 100 will buy a looooooot of gas even at $4/gallon.

98roamer

Explorer
I too have been studying the 100 series threads on Mud vs the 5th gen threads on some Toyota sites. Having a 3rd gen 4runner I was all set on the 5th gen but the 200 series pulled me away. But since I can't sell both my kidneys to finance it, I'm settling in on the 100 series LC.
My 3rd gen 4runner feels small inside so I was looking at the LC but the 5th feels a little bigger, we'll have to see after a longer test drive. The 2005-2007 LC gets my vote for better HP and MPG, but at a cost, IMO. I was against the 100 series because of the torsion bar front suspension but I'm opening up to it. I've always thought that torsion bars are too stiff but the 100's seems to drive very nice.

I would suggest driving both and see which feels better. This next one will not be my DD so the mpg concern is less. We will be using it as our vacation hauler with a tear drop or a AT Chaser.

Be aware of the cost of the 90k mile service for the LC. I've noticed some good deals on 100's around the 90k mark but the service usually hasn't been done on it.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I was against the 100 series because of the torsion bar front suspension but I'm opening up to it. I've always thought that torsion bars are too stiff but the 100's seems to drive very nice.

Yeah the tbars are old-school but other than taking valuable space under the vehicle (but much less volume than springs) they're dead reliable, used in military tanks. Also easily adjusted.

The OEM tbar is pretty weak and IMO offers a cushy ride, especially when adjusted for vehicle height with added weight like ARB & winch, &c. A few folks on this board prefer the cushier OEM bar to the OMEs off-road.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I still miss that the '99 hundy my brother had. Absolute tank, inside and out. Had the biggest toyota axles to date, and inside everything was screwed together.
Repair costs were huge, but infrequent.
The stock milage sucks, but once both rigs are on 33's with a basket on top, the 4Runner won't save much fuel.
The Cruiser will work well with 33's, ok with 35's. The 4Runner would probably need gears. ($$$$)
Torsion bars- the ability to level the truck, after adding stuff, is nice. adding trim packers sounds like a headache.
Here in MI, insurance on the 100 was sky high- don't forget to get some quotes for each one.
Both have about a 1500# payload out of the box. The 100 is built to carry a lot more than that, with appropriate springs. Depending on the market, more like 2200#.
If you like scenery, there are few vehicles with as good a view, as the 100.
The newer the Cruiser, the more electronic doo-dads there are to malfunction.
If you envision spending nights in there, the cruiser has tons more room.

nickw

Adventurer
My vote is 4runner

I'm on the market for a new rig, I have fallen in love with the new 2010-2011 4runner trail edition, while originally looking for a nice 100 series land cruiser....

Both would be financed if I purchased.... Both would slowly be expo-ish rigs....

The 4runner will set me back close to 40k, but be brand new, no miles, nice warranty, low intrest financing from Toyota.... I would use it for camping, trips, eventually some nice trail events, etc.... no kids... Just me and the girlfriend, and a dog sooner or later.

I'm looking at NICE 100 series land cruisers, around 2003-2004, or even some Lexus lx470s..... Of course they have 50k - 80k miles on them, but are extremely clean, loaded, and they are legends...

Getting a little nervous of buying new if I got the 4runner.....

The 100 series seem to hold their value pretty well, not SO concerned with this, because I don't plan to sell, but you never know?

I just keep looking at the luxurious 100 series I could have for around 30k... 10k cheaper then the runnner, but the trail edition is pretty spiffy?

What do you guys think...

My vote is 4runner due to it being new.

I think the 5th gen runners are not getting the expo respect they deserve, manual T-case, proven drivetrain and a shared platform with the Tacoma/FJ.

Have you considered a SR5? You can get one in the low to mid 30k mark and IMO has everything an expo rig needs including the, thumbs up to Mr. Toyoda, manual t-case. I am not convinced all the gizmo's on the TE are really worthwhile for the price you pay, especially on an expo rig.

With that being said, I LOVE the look of the TE and would probably buy one for that reason alone. I wish they made a stripped down TE, no nav, no pull out tray, no electro gadgets, with a locker...but with the 'look' of the TE.

You 'should' be able to find a lowish mile 100 for well under $30k, probably closer to $25k, at least you can up here.

Bobfab

Observer
What do you currently drive? I think that detail would help people sway your decision!

I'm going to come right out and say it: The only thing worse than the depreciation on a new vehicle, is depreciation of a new vehicle that you actually intend on using offroad.

I have bought crappy, brand new, and "preowned", that said i will never buy a new car again (well at least until i have won the lottery).

cnielsen4130

My vote is 4runner due to it being new.

I think the 5th gen runners are not getting the expo respect they deserve, manual T-case, proven drivetrain and a shared platform with the Tacoma/FJ.

Have you considered a SR5? You can get one in the low to mid 30k mark and IMO has everything an expo rig needs including the, thumbs up to Mr. Toyoda, manual t-case. I am not convinced all the gizmo's on the TE are really worthwhile for the price you pay, especially on an expo rig.

With that being said, I LOVE the look of the TE and would probably buy one for that reason alone. I wish they made a stripped down TE, no nav, no pull out tray, no electro gadgets, with a locker...but with the 'look' of the TE.

You 'should' be able to find a lowish mile 100 for well under $30k, probably closer to $25k, at least you can up here.

I agree with the fact that the TE is worth the extra money, this is why I haven't really considered much for the sr5. The factory rear locker is a big thing.. No reason for an arb air locker, and void the warranty... I like the bumpers, so until I get the cash, I wouldn't arb the front bumper... With the sr5, I'd want to swap it out sooner,I know it's not the biggest deal....

The 100's are hard to find, not impossible, but much more time spent looking, and worrying about financing, I can't finance anything over 150,000 miles or 10 years old...

I know I wouldn't regret a 100 series for the price difference, but it is a matter of finding one...

I haven't heard enough from the expo community about the TE, I have frequented the T4r forums, but as far as the more hardcore rigs, I haven't seen them yet... I know I know, I wouldnt be building it up to go around the world... But still...

Can you tell I'm confused? The other bummer thing is... I want the TE In white..... I love the dark grey, but I worry about the maintenance of a dark color on a expo rig... I could get silver... But eh...

Hmmm, I'm more confused now, i need to drive a 100, I took the TE for a ride the other day, it felt great with the KDSS suspension... It's honestly the "buying new" buyers remorse that is holding me back... And the fact the 100's aren't the easiest to find. I know.... I'm high maintenance, but I think most of you are too:)

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Having my 4runner TE for almost 2 years...bottom line is, it rocks, and the transformation will be slow for expo mods....but I see myself having this a long time, I really, really enjoy it.

If there's any questions let me know...

I think you'll be happy with it too.

Good luck, Pat

joneseyyy

Explorer
601a713e-b918-399a.jpg

601a713e-b93e-e475.jpg

601a713e-b961-610f.jpg

A little propaganda to influence you...

cnielsen4130

..... I think I'll call the dealership I have been test driving at... And see if I can get the deal I want on the TE I drove. I just wonder if the 2012 will come in different colors... Ehhhh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles