Which is a better expo platform?!

Sempertoy

Explorer
So I have recently been bitten by the "need a new vehicle" bug. It happens every so often to me. In fact this is the longest that I have ever owned a vehicle. I have a 96 tacoma and my build thread can be found in my signature. I am happy with it and needs a few more things to complete it in my opinion. HOWEVER I was recently approached by a gentleman who proposed a trade. He Has a very clean 1st gen 4runner. Just did a SAS on it with an 85 axle. locked front and rear and it even has a roof rack :Wow1:!! lol.
So my question is this. Which of the two would make a better expo rig? pros and cons of both? HELP ME!! I don't want to trade just because I have the bug. If i have the best of the two vehicles I'll keep mine. Thanks

bmh

Adventurer
Keep your Taco. The 85 is hell to drive long distances and it sucks on hills. Been there and done that, won't ever do it without a tow rig again.

defrag4

Road Warrior
love my 4runner but agree with the others, for long-distance travel its nice to have some of the newer creature comforts, taco is a great base, keep it and throw a topper on it, then start building out the back

Box Rocket

Yep, keep the Tacoma. I had an '85 pickup and for an expo platform, there is no question that the Tacoma is FAR superior to one of those trucks including the 4Runner from that vintage. Now for rockcrawling, that's a whole other discussion. I love that era of truck and find myself craving a 1st Gen 4Runner from time to time, (almost bought one just before I got my Tacoma). They are a great size and I love that you have the versatility of an SUV but can remove the top. The open air feel is very addictive. But in almost every way it will fall short of a Tacoma for expedition use.

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
keep your truck for one reason. the solid axle swap

unless you were with him when he did it you probably dont know how to fix it or what parts you would need to buy if it were to break.

having a reliable stock vehicle (or at least stock enough to get parts for it) is the number one thing to consider with a vehicle that needs to travel long distances away from services.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
DO NOT Trade.

If you like his truck, buy it, but do not drop yours. That older runner will get SO VERY old so VERY fast! By that I mean driving it. You have driven convoy, you know what it is like. Do you really want to drive convoy for your DD? OR for your Expo rig? not a chance pal. I had an 84 CJ-7 and it drove about like my 82 Toy Pickup. Not fun at all. If you want a runner get a newer one, same age as your truck or better.

The only reason to get the old first gen, in my humble opinion, is if you want to spend the next two to three years in the third world where you will not be as able to find a computer to hook up to.

Good luck whatever you do, but in OTS they told us to work smarter not harder.

Just thought I would also add that you can pick up a flipac for very little these days, on the used market. Put that on your truck when you want to get the expo going, and you will be impressed with it for sure.

Last edited:

clcoyle

Explorer
I am considering a 2006 Tundra TRD Off-Road or a 2008-10 Tacoma TRD Off-Road for Expedition travel around the Western U.S. and Mexico. Does anyone have an opinion as to which is the better platform, in-terms of performance, reliability, off-road capability, durability, trail worthiness and the extent of possible mods commercially available. TIA Chris

Toyotero

Explorer
For overland and DD, you already have the best of the two vehicles so I recommend that you stick with the Taco.

If you have the cash, buy the 4R as a second vehicle... and if you are in love with it after a year, then think about selling the Tacoma.

..... the first gen 4Runners did come with better front seats in the SR5 models though :D

alteredvision

I do not understand what you mean by he just did a SAS on a first gen 4Runner as the 1st gens were solid axle and the thing about that 85 that I have read about is that it had the 22re engine that gave you fuel injection. This was the only year you could get the solid axle and fuel injection.

I think you also need to state what you are more into, do you do a lot of rock crawling or off camber climbing?

Do you break a lot of CV axles with what you are currently doing with your truck?

What about the 4Runner attracts you the most, is it just the chance to have something different?

Sempertoy

Explorer
I do not understand what you mean by he just did a SAS on a first gen 4Runner as the 1st gens were solid axle and the thing about that 85 that I have read about is that it had the 22re engine that gave you fuel injection. This was the only year you could get the solid axle and fuel injection.

I think you also need to state what you are more into, do you do a lot of rock crawling or off camber climbing?

Do you break a lot of CV axles with what you are currently doing with your truck?

What about the 4Runner attracts you the most, is it just the chance to have something different?

The 4runner is an 86 and that year came with IFS. I was just into getting a new rig but have realized that I have the way better rig of the two. I am going to drive mine into the ground or until I can afford an lx450.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Keep your Taco

Sounds like you've made up your mind, but here's my .02 anyways

I love my first gen. 4Runner, even as a daily driver (I have IFS)...but for the next vehicle, I'll get an extended cab pickup. There's just so much more you can do with them without having to go crazy hacking things up. The extended cab would be nice to stow a small fridge and some gear, then dedicate the rear for sleeping.

I'd invest in a Flippac or an ARE type commercial topper (look at Youngunner's taco shell or G100's Project T100 for inspiration). A used Wildernest would be awesome too. If you ever needed a setup with more comfort, you could always get a pop-up camper. Of course, someone could try any one of those add-ons with a 1st gen 4runner if you have the balls & creativity...there's been plenty who've dreamed of such a setup, but I haven't seen a finished product yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online