2012 Tacoma TX Baja package

haven

Expedition Leader
Not content with the TX and TX Pro options, Toyota will offer a TX Baja package for the 2012 Tacoma. The Baja package includes longer and stiffer front springs, fatter remote reservoir shocks front and rear, and larger off-road tires. The result is an inch more ride height, two inches more suspension travel, and better damping when landing after a big jump.

The Baja package includes other TX goodies, including the electric rear locker. It will be available on Access Cab and Crew Cab models with V6 engine. For 2012, the Tacoma is available with 6 speed manual and 5 speed automatic transmissions.

The Baja package will be available in Spring, 2012. No price was announced. More info and photos here:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/09/toyota-reveals-a-new-tacoma-trd-tx-baja-4x4.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/29/...-trd-t-x-baja-series-limited-edition-in-text/

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's the Tacoma TX Baja, photo courtesy of Toyota. Looks like they restyled the front end of the truck a bit, too.

ToyotaTacomaTXBaja2012.jpg

Guessing the price of the Baja package is difficult. The top of the line Tacoma Double Cab V6 4x4 with TX Pro option package had an MSRP of $34,600 in 2011. The Baja's suspension pieces are expensive, so I'd guess maybe $38,000 for the 2012 Tacoma Double Cab V6 4x4 with TX Baja package. Prices won't be available until early 2012.

You'll spend about $45,000 for the 2012 Ford Raptor crew cab with 6.2L V8 (if you can find a dealer that doesn't add a hefty markup above MSRP).

Update: Pickuptrucks.com says Toyota plans to make only 750 Tacomas with the Baja package. Limited Edition = Higher Prices?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Complete the following:

Based on the picture above, I believe Toyota stylists based the front end view on

a. Darth Vader's helmet
b. Chick Hicks in Cars
c. Other--Please specify: _____________________________________

:sombrero:

keezer37

Explorer
It's starting to grow on me. I wonder how the current ARB bumper would look on this truck with that grill being higher at the bottom.
Ah well. I'm driving my '05 til it drops. Or I do. I never could get on board with trading up. Not with a pick-up truck. It's like trading in your dog.

AmitolaBulldogsJackson8monthsBantam.jpg

Ludedude

Adventurer
Looks like this would be the (almost) competition for the Ford Raptor?

Nah, the Raptor has factory forged suspension pieces, long travel, 35" tires, internal bypass Fox shocks etc. The Tacoma is really not much more than a factory lift and some stickers from what I can see.

haven

Expedition Leader
Pickuptrucks.com posted some news about the TRD TX Baja package they learned from a conversation with Toyota executives, plus a test drive.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/10/quick-drive-2012-toyota-tacoma-trd-tx-baja-series.html

First, there will be about 1000 trucks made with the Baja package. Production starts in May 2012. The Baja shock, spring and tire upgrade package adds about $4000 to the price of the truck, so the price will start at about $33K for Access Cab and $35K for Double Cab models.

In the test drive, the Bilstein remote reservoir shocks were set up for high speed running, allowing good control when driving fast on rutted dirt roads. But they seemed too stiff at low speeds. The article's author suggests using shocks that can be adjusted from the cab for different conditions.

Toyota will equip a team to race the TX Baja in November's Baja 1000 race.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
so does it come with the ATs or what appears to be a rugged trail in the spare location...? Lame if you get that crappy spare...

keezer37

Explorer
Article said:
The note sounds more like an overworked hairdryer

Yeah, no kidding. I've been saying that for years. You cannot put a free flowing catback on this truck. Sounds like doo-doo. No one listens to keezer. Everybody's gotta learn the hard way. Ah well. Change the cats your using and you won't have this problem.

Suspension looks pretty sweet. From the write-up, I think they copied an Icon coilover. I suppose the steering knuckle is taller to accommodate the 2" lift. Anybody have an interest in a taller steering knuckle for a Tacoma?

devortex

Adventurer
Fun concept and they'll sell every last one of them at sticker or somewhere north of sticker.

That being said, it'll appeal to the dune jumping, Coors Light crowd.

For my money, drive a hard bargain on a TRD Off Road 4x4 at somewhere near $30k, set up the suspension to suit your needs. Not too many guys on this forum would want to lose payload capacity. I went with a hybrid of ICON front coil-overs and UCAs, reservoir rears and OME Dakar heavy leaf springs on my '12. The mismatched spare tire is a mystery. Let's hope that was a goof up on a press demo model and that the production trucks actually get 5 matching tires.

I don't need to go 50mph over the whoops and dips and when I get to camp..............I want to be able to crack open a beer right away without it spraying all over me.:beer:

Dirtytires

Explorer
I should have waited 4 months before buying my Tacoma, I could have had this one for the same price I paid for mine.

Oh wells. I like it still.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier