hello! Thule K-summit vs Spikes Spider?

vplow

Hi, now that we (finally) have a new 2011 DC TRD, I'll need to get some chains for it. I had a set of spikes-spiders for our previous vehicle (VW passat 4MOTION) and they were incredible. I was going to go ahead and get some for the Tacoma, but noticed the Thule K-summit system is a little cheaper. Just wondering if any of you have experience with both systems and have an opinion?

I know that I could get some 'normal' snow chains for a lot less in either case, but I put a lot of value on the ease of installation/removal with these types of systems. We live in the Bay Area and do a lot of winter driving to Tahoe and Yosemite, land of "Sierra Cement". Man, that stuff is not even in the same class as midwestern snow!

Thanks for any thoughts...

jrt1

Hi, we also live in the Bay Area and have just bought a VW passat 4MOTION. Maybe it was yours?! We are looking to buy snow chains so it is good to hear that spikes-spiders worked well. Which size and model did you have? Did you have 2 sets or just 1 set on the rear tires? Sorry not be able to help for your query as I have noexperience of the Thule k-summit system.

vplow

Hi, we also live in the Bay Area and have just bought a VW passat 4MOTION. Maybe it was yours?! We are looking to buy snow chains so it is good to hear that spikes-spiders worked well. Which size and model did you have? Did you have 2 sets or just 1 set on the rear tires? Sorry not be able to help for your query as I have noexperience of the Thule k-summit system.

I had one set of the spikes-spider "compact" model, used them on the front wheels. Really liked them. They're pricey but a great product. I'll never forget pulling over to remove them after the chain control ended- was parked near a gentleman wearing dress clothes, fighting to remove the chains off his car in the slush...beach towel...rolled up dress shirt....dress pants.... Anyway, we pull up, remove the spikes and stow them, and head on our way within 1 minute. The double-take I got from that guy in the rear view mirror was priceless. We felt very smug.

As it turns out, I emailed Thule to ask about sizing for my truck. Since I plan on upping my tire size to 265/75/16, the K-summit's are not an option. They will fit on 265/70/16 however.

I also emailed spikes-spider directly wondering which model to purchase, since I was getting conflicting model listings for those 2 tire sizes....between the "Alpine Pro" and the "Sport" model. I was told by spikes-spider that they'd recommend the "Sport" model since it's a more modular system if I need to change tire sizes or replace parts. The "Alpine Pro" is heavier duty, but said I'd be fine with the "Sport"...which is great because it's slightly cheaper. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier