Tacoma roof rack idea input

Kadowampus

Hey I have a idea for my tacoma access cab and I need some input from the experts here at the portal. I want to put a roof rack (Yakima or Thule) on the taco and mount a rooftop tent whenever im camping. I also want the tent to flip towards the rear of the truck into the bed as opposed to the conventional to the side opening. The reason for this idea is because whenever I'm camping I usually bring a couple dirtbikes in the bed with all of our gear so space is very limited so I figured, like a skyscraper, i would just build up. My main concern would be weight capacity. Any input???? Thanks

nr13

Observer
So are you saying you would mount it on top of the cab? If so wouldn't it take up less bed space when folded out if you had it open to the side or for that matter to the front like a flippac? Seems like if it opened back it would hit your dirt bikes if they were still in the bed. Thule makes a great aftermarket rail system that you could mount to your cab or a shell if it did not come with it from the factory.

dcarlin

I've searched extensively for info on the feasibility of putting a rtt over the cab using a commercial rack system. The only evidence I've found of it having been done on a 2nd gen Tacoma is a couple of photos on the tepui tent website in their kukenam photo section ... Looks to be a Yakima system on their tracks, rather than using the door frame clamps.

Kadowampus

No the dirtbike would be out of the truck when folded out but I just wanted it to fold out to the bed so it would be easier to make a overhang to but my riding bag and stuff to keep it off the ground. I guess it would be the same to the side but the main issue was seeing if the racks would handle the weight. Especially if there was a lady friend in the tent if u catch my drift

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
No reason it couldn't work, I wouldn't hesitate at all to mount a RTT to my Front Runner rack (04' DC) if I didn't already have a permanent RTT mount over the bed. The dirtbike is an issue, my answer is a hitch-hauler or trailer.

Box Rocket

Kurt I've been meaning to ask you if there are any of the mounting feet you used with your FrontRunner available. I know yours were the prototype and that there were some production concerns. But I'd love to get a set.

cruiseroutfit

Kurt I've been meaning to ask you if there are any of the mounting feet you used with your FrontRunner available. I know yours were the prototype and that there were some production concerns. But I'd love to get a set.

Good question, assuming Paul has more of the racks available we should be able to build more feet. They discontinued that rack not long after we set up mine and I don't if Equipt has any left around? I should have all the templates and likely some more of the stainless steel material I had cut for the actual feet. I've been beyond please by how well it worked out and honestly would love to see a similar rack built for other vehicles. Its key is distributing the load over the entire length of the rack on a ~2" width versus 4 mounts that put all that load on defined spots. You do have to tweak the rack's runners a bit to match the curvature of the Tacoma cab but that wasn't a major issue. My truck will be on the market shortly, there is a chance I pull some of the accessories off and sell them on their own, interested in a complete rack if this happens?

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I have had Yakima stuff on many vehicles now for some time. The Q-Tower set-up is pretty bomb-proof if you get it set up right. I have the control tower system on the shell of the truck now. The landing pads can be mounted to anything flat. I've never been a fan of the Thule stuff, as it proves more rust succeptible in these parts. If you set the tent up to flip to the rear (or the front), it will be very wide, so keep that in mind.

Kadowampus

Thanks for all the info everyone. The Yakima setup looks like the way to go for me in my future. Also since were talking about rtt's, what do u guys think is a good lower priced tent to purchase. I am a college student so funds are Pretty tight. Books aren't cheap!

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
The problem I see is that on the DC you spread the weight over 3 pillars on each side with a small opening for the door. On the AC you spread the weight over 2 pillars and have a single large opening for the door. So, on the DC a load is distributed over 6 points versus 4 on the AC, a 33% increase in roof loads. Also, the center of the load is over the weakest part of the roof, the huge opening for the doors instead of over the B pillar.

I know that early access cabs with swinging doors from one of the big 3 had issues with the roof sagging and door closing issues. Thats why the chevy extra cabs had the "not" door on the drivers side, for roof strength.

I bet that is why you can't get a factory rack on the AC. I thought about the same thing for mine, but the load issue stopped me.

Box Rocket

Good question, assuming Paul has more of the racks available we should be able to build more feet. They discontinued that rack not long after we set up mine and I don't if Equipt has any left around? I should have all the templates and likely some more of the stainless steel material I had cut for the actual feet. I've been beyond please by how well it worked out and honestly would love to see a similar rack built for other vehicles. Its key is distributing the load over the entire length of the rack on a ~2" width versus 4 mounts that put all that load on defined spots. You do have to tweak the rack's runners a bit to match the curvature of the Tacoma cab but that wasn't a major issue. My truck will be on the market shortly, there is a chance I pull some of the accessories off and sell them on their own, interested in a complete rack if this happens?

I might be interested if you decide to sell some off the truck. Honestly, as nice as the Front Runner racks are, they are just hard for me to justify the cost. They are worth the expense I'm sure and I like the design, but I've been planning to build my own low profile rack, I've just needed a good option for the mounting/feet. Your setup is by far the best design for that. Let's talk when you get to a point that it makes sense.

austintaco

Explorer

If Box Rocket passes, I might be interested. I picked up an original Con-Fer rack several months ago to mount on my 03 DC, but I am stuck on how to go about attaching it. I'll have to check out your system in your build thread.

cruiseroutfit

If Box Rocket passes, I might be interested. I picked up an original Con-Fer rack several months ago to mount on my 03 DC, but I am stuck on how to go about attaching it. I'll have to check out your system in your build thread.

I'll keep you all posted. In the meantime, check with Paul @ Equipt and see what he can do on a new rack assembly as there is a good chance mine will end up moving with the truck. :D

frobuster

Observer
Ok, one note to input, and one question too. Note; regardless of what we know a Thule can do; their weight limit is like 167lbs. Max. So if you're thinking two adults putting extra stress on a commercial foot, honesty I'd think twice. After pondering over the others' advice, this sounds like a no go).

Now, my question there are two (rails) rubber covered on my 07AC; if I were to pull the rubber off, won't there be two useable rails with pre drilled " feet" all ready in there and can't you buy additional feet to put in there too?

I really do want to add a rack to mime also. And I'll keep an eye on this thread.

austintaco

Explorer
Ok, one note to input, and one question too. Note; regardless of what we know a Thule can do; their weight limit is like 167lbs. Max. So if you're thinking two adults putting extra stress on a commercial foot, honesty I'd think twice. After pondering over the others' advice, this sounds like a no go).

Now, my question there are two (rails) rubber covered on my 07AC; if I were to pull the rubber off, won't there be two useable rails with pre drilled " feet" all ready in there and can't you buy additional feet to put in there too?

I really do want to add a rack to mime also. And I'll keep an eye on this thread.

I know I have seen this done on the 2nd gen double cab while searching for options for my 03 DC. It may have been on Tacomaworld.

Kadowampus,

This thread popped up, but it refers to the double cab with talk about the Access cab:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/181710-new-baja-roof-rack.html

Another idea for you, and I think I have seen this as well, is to use the front feet from a Thule truck bed system as one of your mounting points. It would push back your RTT system a bit, but your bed would still be mostly open.
RA409B33_____LG.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online