Economy Tacoma

hoptroll

Pool Boy
2000 Tacoma 2x4, 4 cyl, 5 speed. Will be headed down to Baja in January. Obviously no off-roading because my truck has about as much off road ability as a lawn mower. But I will be living out of this thing for about 2 weeks. Keep in mind that I am a pretty minimalistic person. VERY low cost build. VERY low operating costs. I have gotten as high as 30 MPG on road trips in the past. Breakdown of costs:
Truck: Long term loaner from pops
Shell: $80 on craigslist plus $250 for a new back door, $7 for weather stripping.
Platform: Materials were left over from other projects. Labor was good old fashioned family bonding

Started by making the benches on either side. Fitted some sectional plywood in between the benches so that I can take them out and maximize cargo space. Routered down the edges, glued in up, nail gun together. No drilling or defacing my bed, it all fits in perfectly. Fouton matress slides right in for maximum comfort. I plan on rolling up the fouton mattress while driving and put my cooler and other camp equipment in the rear section, leaving the last leaf in place if possible. Flip down cup holder has been added to the end of the passengers side bench. Future mods: Angled aluminum to hold my hatch covers in place, Battery operated LED interior lights. Possible mods: Red, or other non intrusive exterior lighting, Small sound system for rear (iHome style).

photo 3.jpgphoto 2.JPGphoto 1.JPG

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Who says you can't go off-road because you have a 2wd? Just use your head. Looking forward to the rest of your build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles