X-cab Canoe roof rack

xjaugie

Adventurer
I'm in need to install a canoe rackon my 1st gen Tacoma and was thinking of bolting this to the roof? Big question is will it hold up or bend the roof's sheet metal?

roofrack.jpg

I've already installed a Yakama rack on the bed rails for the kayaks and bike. But the canoe is a little too long to let hang out the back.

DSC_4554_edited-1.jpg

Box Rocket

I lot will depend on the weight of the canoe. The more you can spread the load across the roof the better.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Unless you already have the rack I would recommend the Yakima racks made for canoes...maybe a little pricey but much easier to install and change if you ever want to...I think it is called a dry dock? Attaches to the hitch...

FireFinder

Observer
I'm interested in seeing this set up after you get the rack installed. I have the same truck and I'm trying to figure out how to get a kayak or two strapped in along with a pair of bikes.

codybutz

Observer
I think Northern Tool Company or one or those places sells universal roof racks that will fit on your trucks cab. If you bought a pair of those and then made/bought one of those whale tail looking canoe racks that slide into your receiver hitch tube that would be perfect for your needs. Those universal racks I think are under $40 and if you know how to weld you could get the whole set up done pretty cheaply. just my .02 tho.

xjaugie

Adventurer
Unless you already have the rack I would recommend the Yakima racks made for canoes...maybe a little pricey but much easier to install and change if you ever want to...I think it is called a dry dock? Attaches to the hitch...

I see what your saying, and the rack over the bed is a yakama rail and crossbars, but I can't use the rear reciever for the canoe for two reasons, first being that the camper will be using it and second you cannot open the tailgate with it attached.

xjaugie

Adventurer
I'm interested in seeing this set up after you get the rack installed. I have the same truck and I'm trying to figure out how to get a kayak or two strapped in along with a pair of bikes.

If you check out my build blog, linked below you can see how I set up the rack over the bed which allows me to carry the 'yaks and bike. But for the canoe it would hang out the back too far if placed on the bed rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles