What 5spd trans is behind the 3RZ-FE 2.7 Tacoma?

zolo

Explorer
I'm trying to figure out is the 5-spd trans behind a 2004 3RZ-FE 2.7 Tacoma the same as what is in the 05+ 5spd 2.7 Tacoma?
I realize the t-case is different but what about the trans same or different?

Anyone have an answer for this?

Owyhee H

Adventurer
Should be a W59 behind the 3rz-fe but the 2tr-fe in 05+ Tacomas has the R155F. So they are not the same transmission.

zolo

Explorer
So the 2.7 in the 04 is a different from the 2.7 in the 05+

So would the 04 trans and tcase bolt up to the 05+ tacoma 2.7 litre?

Owyhee H

Adventurer
They are different engines. The 04- Tacoma is the 3RZ-fe 2.7L and the 05+ is the 2TR-fe 2.7L. The 2TR has variable valve timing on the intake. I dont know what the difference in the bell housing bolt patterns are, or the transfer case. They are similarly configured in the engine bay but ??????

zolo

Explorer
They are different engines. The 04- Tacoma is the 3RZ-fe 2.7L and the 05+ is the 2TR-fe 2.7L. The 2TR has variable valve timing on the intake. I dont know what the difference in the bell housing bolt patterns are, or the transfer case. They are similarly configured in the engine bay but ??????

Yeah I knew they were different but I wonder if the difference is in the head only to arrange the VVT.

If the block is the same (I.E. the "fe" part of the engine names) maybe the bell housing is the same. If so then the earlier 04 trans and t-case could be installed giving the manual control. I already have the front ADD on a switch so my last step is to convert all the way to a manual t-case.
Right now I have the electronic control removed from my 06 t-case and I have added a lever to actuate the t-case manually. But the control requires getting out of the truck and cannot be done from inside currently.

Just trying to put the puzzle together. make this conversion happen. i really hate the switch t-case control.

zolo

Explorer
And that would be a big negative, just made a call to our local parts supplier dealer and they are indeed different enough to were it cannot be done.....

Next idea.....IncheWorm i guess....

Last edited:

Owyhee H

Adventurer
If you want a manual control case with your current transmission you can use a FJ Cruiser manual case. It is the same case with a lever.

zolo

Explorer
If you want a manual control case with your current transmission you can use a FJ Cruiser manual case. It is the same case with a lever.

Really?

So an FJ case from an automatic will bolt to my 5spd 155 trans? The out put shaft from the trans is the same or can be made to work as well as the bolt pattern?

Any further info would be great and I appreciate it.

aikane

Observer
Yes, the bellhousing from a 2tr will bolt up to the 3rz and vice-a-versa. MarlinCrawler used to produce a bellhousing to bolt an R-series tranny to the 3rz up until it was discovered that you could use the 2tr bellhousing.

Owyhee H

Adventurer
You need the transfer case from the Auto FJ. There might be some input gear swapping, but should be easy. If you search Tacoma world you will find the people who have done it. A company called Rock Solid Toys has lots of info and parts on for conversion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles