Buying a first gen tundra, need opinions

slomoe

First off I wanna say hello. My name is AJ and I ve been lurking for quite a while and now is time to get things rolling.

I found a 2006 tundra 4x4 sr5 access cab with 56000 miles, one owner toyo certified.
This dealer is asking 17900 and comes with a 7yr, 100,000 drive train warranty. My question is about the price. What do you all think about the price? Go for it or wait?

I am going to build this first gen tundra for expo'ing and looking specifically at 01-06 access cabs, v8, 4wd.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
I'm also new here and am also shopping for a 1st gen (2005-2006 specifically) access cab Tundra. From what I'm finding up here in the Pacific Northwest, your price seems pretty good for that amount of miles and to be certified with any kind of warranty.

Oh, and you are always going to find someone who 'paid way less for a way better truck'. There's always someone like that out there. If you're happy with the price you pay, that's all that really matters. :smiley_drive:

Good luck!

slomoe

I'm also new here and am also shopping for a 1st gen (2005-2006 specifically) access cab Tundra. From what I'm finding up here in the Pacific Northwest, your price seems pretty good for that amount of miles and to be certified with any kind of warranty.

Oh, and you are always going to find someone who 'paid way less for a way better truck'. There's always someone like that out there. If you're happy with the price you pay, that's all that really matters. :smiley_drive:

Good luck!

Well thats what I was thinking as well on the price. Nada and Kbb show that 06 being valued at 20,500 to 21,600 being toyo certified and those miles. Just not many around, and the ones that are worth it disappear rather quick.

Falkon

Adventurer
I paid $17k last year for an 04 Limited 4WD with 65k miles. It was loaded with factory options. Private seller from Cl, so no warranty.

I echo the sentiment that if you llike the truck and the price is reasonable, then you'll be happy.

You'll enjoy it.

slomoe

Thanks for the replies fellas, feeling a little better now. I do like the truck from what I have seen in the pics, but it is a 3.5 hr drive to check it in person. Looks like a road trip tomorrow.:Wow1:

slomoe

Taking off soon to check it out, just gotta make sure it's still there before hand. If all goes well I will have me another yota very soon. No need to be jealous since it is a steel blue color. Good luck with finding your white tundy.

Falkon

Adventurer
Try craigslist in you area. If you get a carfax and make sure you have a mechanic look at it, you can get a better deal than a dealer , sans warranty of course, and get some tax advantages from a private seller. Autotrader as well.

Good luck!

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
You can get some great deals on the 2nd gens, but not everyone wants a truck that big. The first gen Tundra is a nearly perfectly sized truck. I wonder why the 2nd gens are so closely priced with the first gens? (not being a jerk, I am actually wondering...)

VW Jeeper

Observer
First off, congrats on choosing an AWESOME truck. We truely love Tundra! That being said I think your price ~$17K is pretty close to the market given the low mileage on the truck and the warranty. For comparisions we bought '06 DC TRD 4wd with 65K and the remainder of the Toyota CPO warranty (Feb 2013) for $19,300 in August from a private seller on CL.

Set yourself a max dollar amount you want to spend and buy the truck that fits you best. Like others have said, there's always going to be that guy on the forums that got the "best" deal. For us, we "may" have over paid a bit, BUT we got the truck we wanted and didn't have to drive a thousand miles to pick it up or deal with pesky car salesmen.

Also - just a word of advise from a guy that's owned both an '02 Access Cab Tundra and now the '06 Double Cab (yeah I like first gen Tundras :elkgrin:) if you have a family or a need to haul extra people frequently I would seriously consider a DC truck. The AC is nice but the suicide type rear doors tend to become really annoying, especially in parking lots when you hands are full. On the flip side the length and overall size of the AC trucks is in my opinion the perfect size.

Best of luck to you and hope some of my rambling helps...

Last edited:

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
I used to have an FJ Cruiser and I ended up not caring for the suicide back doors...for the reasons mentioned above. However, I no longer have to carry people back there so an AC Tundra will be awesome...for me! Anyone remember having an AC Tacoma without ANY access doors to the back? Even suicide doors are better than that. :)

Petrolburner

Explorer
Almost 2 years ago I paid 10k for my Tundra with 100k miles in central Florida. Now out here in Oregon I could get 12k-13k for it with 115k miles. The way these things hold their value is amazing.

I lust after the 4 real doors and the power windows, especially the big rear window, of the Double Cab. And I rarely put people in the back. But the suicide doors in the parking lot is a pain in the ***. However yes there were Toyotas not long ago with no rear doors!

What's not to love?

317083_789337814243_71201345_38668359_870130532_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke