OME suspension going on, but what else?

xjaugie

Adventurer
So if all goes well, I will be installing the OME suspension on the 1st gen Tacoma this weekend, but I was thinking with the age and 163,000 miles on the all orginal truck, that maybe I should replace some of the other parts on the frontend while it is apart.

From all of your all's experiences, any suggestions about what I should go ahead and replace while I'm working on the suspension?

keezer37

Explorer
At 163k, I'd check all the balljoints and bushings (arms). Check for lateral movement of the arms. Wear of the balljoints, slop. If everything looks and feels tight, I'd shoot grease under the boots and call it good.

rickashay

Explorer
Seeing as how you will be lifting the truck and are going to need an alignment afterwards, it may be a good idea to replace the inner and/or outer tie-rod ends as well (if needed). Also, might want to check your brake lines for adequite length after the lift, you might want to replace those with some nice stainless extended length lines. (I drive a 3rd gen 4runner, which has the same front end as the Tacoma but I am not sure how much slack the factory rear Tacoma brake line has after a lift.) Just some ideas.

Cheers, your truck looks great!

xjaugie

Adventurer
Thanks for the advise, I was figuring that I might replace the ball joints, and tie rod ends since I'm tearing into the front end. I'm not sure if the brake lines will be needed with the slight lift, but even if it does not "need" it, with the rough driving through the brush, I'd figure I would replace them anyway, to be safe, (past experience)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles