Wheelers add a leaf installation problem

Cedar Jones

Hi, I'm installing some wheelers add a leafs on my 1999 Tacoma and I've run into a little problem. It seems like the leafs are too long because they are bumping up against the rear clamp holding the factory leafs together. I don't have them backwards. Has anyone run into this problem or am I just missing something obvious?

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

Falkon

Adventurer
Doesn't this require a clamp to fit around all, the old and new leaves, to keep it together? I would think there would be a new clamp or a way to reuse the old clamp to incorporate the new leaf into the pack.

Never done this process or seen it, just my general understanding.

Good luck though!

Cedar Jones

Thanks for the reply! As far as I can tell, the U-bolts that attach the axel to the springs are enough to keep the additional leaf in line. There isn't enough room in the clamps on the springs to fit an additional leaf and I haven't read anything in the instructions about needing a new, larger clamp. I'm going to call wheelers about it tomorrow when they are open, hopefully I'll be able to sort it out with them.

keezer37

Explorer
On my '05, the leafs sit solo. It doesn't get clamped. I'm wondering if they sent the wrong ones. The part number for the '05+ AAL is WHE ACH21. They didn't send you these by mistake, did they?

Cedar Jones

That's the weird thing, the part number matches (it's WHE ACH30). It says it correctly on the invoice, and it's marked on the leafs as well.

Tim A

Adventurer
This may be a stupid question: can you slide the clamp far enough backward that the AAL doesn't touch it? Also, does it matter if the AAL touches the existing clamp?

Cedar Jones

I can't move it because it's bolted to the lowest factory leaf. I think it would matter if it touches the clamp, because it wouldn't be able to flex if it was running up against the clamp.

Cedar Jones

Wheelers got back to me and they say it's a rare factory inconsistency. They recommended cutting off the rivet that holds the clamp around the factory leafs. Do any of you feel like that would be a bad idea? Seems like it's probably there for a reason... but on the other hand there's a clamp on the other end anyways, and with the U bolts holding the leafs as well, I guess it would be pretty hard for them to go anywhere.

Falkon

Adventurer
In my opinion, I'd say no go to modifying the clamps. Have them send you a new set pdq, especially if they said it was their error.

keezer37

Explorer
If I understand you correctly, Wheeler's is saying your OE leaf clamps are incorrectly positioned from the factory. I'd verify this. Hopefully another '99 Tacoma owner here could chime in or hunt around your neighborhood with a measuring tape.

The clamps do keep the leafs from slipping out of line with each other horizontally. The u-bolts limit this, but as the springs flex, they will move. You do have the forward clamp though.

Are the clamps an equal distance from the centering pin? Is the hole in Wheeler's AAL centered? I'm thinking the AALs were drilled in the wrong spot.

Cedar Jones

From what I understood they were saying that the leafs on my truck are differently positioned than the vast majority of 1999 4x4 SR5 Extended Cab Tacomas. The hole on the AAL is not centered. I asked Wheelers about drilling a new hole in the AAL and they said the steel is probably too hard for me to do this easily. I also measured the stock leafs and the bolt hole is 18 inches from the rear clamp and 16 inches from the front clamp. You're right, it would be super helpful if someone else with a 1999 Tacoma measured theirs to see if the clamps are in a different place.

I just cut down the Wheelers AAL and drilled a new hole for the teflon rub pad. I have a 2000 Taco and they were to long for mine as well. I would not remove the clamp.

Box Rocket

Yep. I'd have them send you the correct leaves. Or if you decide to modify something instead, I shave a little off the end of the AAL before I messed with the clamp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles