Second battery on the passenger side of a 2nd Gen Tacoma?

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
Like it says in the title, has anyone installed a second battery in the empty space on the right (passenger) side of the engine? Not up by the radiator but back at the rear of the engine compartment. Post up some pictures of how you did it!

On the 2010 there is nothing there. I know that some people have made a tray that holds 2 group 34 batteries in the stock location. I thought about that, but the cost is prohibitive (controller + starting battery + deep cycle battery = $$$$$$$$$) and the added weight on the driver side. My starting battery is only 2 years old so I don't want to replace it. Right now my plan is the National Luna Intelligent Solenoid and an Odessy 1500.

Ludedude

Adventurer
I did that in my V6 4Runner, essentially the same under the hood. You need to fab a bracket, see below for the pic of mine, and then mount one of the commercially available boxes to the bracket. I mounted a Diehard PM-2 as my secondary (same as an Odyssey 1500) using the box available from West Coast Batteries and use the Blue Sea ACR for battery management.

7ab42e2

7a131e7

f90b3f5

d4484be

b49bd98

I still need to get pictures of the finished install including the method we used to stabilize the corner nearest the firewall and also the ACR and cabling but that should show you it's possible to place that battery where you want under your hood.

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
Now the question of which battery. I have read over multiple threads and am leaning towards the sears diehard platinum group 34 instead of the odessy 1500 for a few reasons.

1-cost: The die hard is cheaper
2-warranty: I can replace the battery at any sears.
3-no wait: I can pick up the battery this weekend and start mocking up my box and mount.

From everything I've read its an odessy group 34 re-badged for Sears. Anyone see any issues with this choice?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online