View Full Version : 4runner to Tacoma rear axle swap

Jeff Wanamog
10-27-2011, 11:47 PM
My rig is a little on the heavy side. 2010 Tacoma DC/LB and I carry a Four Wheel Camper.
I also have a 2003 4runner. The difference in brakes between the 2010 Tacoma and the 4runner is amazing. I have changed the front rotors, pads and brake lines on the Tacoma, it helped but I need more.
I have found a 2004 4runner rear axle for sale and I am gathering information to see if I want to swap the axle into my Tacoma to add rear disk brakes. I know there are people that sell kits to add rear disk brakes, but I want to stay with Toyota parts and keep my parking brakes.
My question is about the tone rings on the 4runner axle, short of pulling both of the axles apart, I need to find out if the two axles have the same amount of tone ring pulses. I want to be able to make the swap look like it came from the factory that way and don't want to lose my ABS.
Thanks for the help.

10-27-2011, 11:52 PM
So you are gonna swap the leafs for the coils, Doesn't the 04 4Runner have a 4 link in the back with coils?

Jeff Wanamog
10-28-2011, 12:41 AM
That part is kids stuff to me.:Wow1:

Actually, the four link brackets will come off and spring perches will weld on.

10-28-2011, 06:49 AM
What about the Trail-Gear Tacoma disc brake kit (http://www.trail-gear.com/brakes)?

I know you said you wanted to stay with Toyota OEM parts, but I thought it might be a viable option for you.

Edit- I just saw that it's only for the 95-04...

Jeff Wanamog
10-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Even though I could probably make them fit, the fact that you loose the ABS and parking brake is exactly what I am trying to avoid. Also they use a custom rotor.
I really want the truck to seem like it came with four wheel disk brakes from the factory.
Thank you though for the idea.