83 Land Cruiser vs. 95 4Runner

Applejack

Explorer
What model of Land Cruiser? If it's a diesel 60, than there would be zero hesitation for me. I wouldn't even look at the 4runner, as long as both were comparable in overall condition.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Which gas engine does the 4runner have? If it has the 3VZ-E 3.0 V6, they have been a little problematic with head gaskets and are not overly powerful for the amount of fuel they use. If it has the 22-RE 2.4L I-4, that's a very reliable engine with decent fuel economy.

I agree--being that the Land Cruiser is a diesel, I would go that route for fuel economy and durability.

The 2nd-generation 4Runner has a rear tailgate that requires the electric power rear window to operate in order to open. Should you experience a power rear window failure, you may not be able to open the rear gate to access your gear.

If the Land Cruiser is a 60-series, it has more interior space than the 4runner. If it is a 40-series (I'm not sure if they made 40's in '83 in CR), it has a tall, short body with likely less space than the 4runner.

Pura vida!

Eric

Last edited:

Petrolburner

Explorer
I've had a full size bronco and an 84 4Runner and I always hated the rear electric windows, even though I never had problems with them. Just a poor design. Diesel Cruiser for the win.

Viggen

Just here...
Depends on how much room you need. If its not a lot, go 4Runner. If you carry a lot of stuff, go 60. The BJ60 is no demon but itll get you there. They crack precups and heads so check them out. Sometimes the precups even fall into the bore causing issues. They all will have cracked precups and theres a good chance that the head is cracked since the EGTs on them JUMP big time on stock tune (I could see 1400 easy w/o turbo). I dont think that the HJs had the same issues with the heads. They do eat up rockers though. Parts are relatively easy to come by but sometimes involve a few weeks for shipping. In CR, cant you get a diesel 4Runner? The 60 is a great truck but the size is a HUGE downside. A diesel 4Runner will get you better mileage and be so much more maneuverable.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
without a doubt Cruiser! Even if it has rust and problems and is lacking a turbo I would go the Cruiser any day over the 4-Runner. As long as the price fits the truck that is.

Brighton

I've owned an 95 22re and 90 3.0 4runner. I loved them both, but without a doubt go for the Diesel Cruiser.

nickw

Adventurer
More info

I am trying to decide between buying either an 83 Diesel Land Cruiser or a 95 Gas 4 Runner; Any suggestions?

No way anybody could make a rational decision based on the provided information. All things being equal (mileage/cost/maintenance) one could reasonable say Diesel cruiser since it was thousands $$$ more than the 4 runner and a higher end vehicle through and through. For obvious reasons things are not equal.

One problem you see with cruisers, IMO, is they get used (abused) since they are built so well. People tend to neglect maintenance on them because of this and they get pretty ragged around the edges. With proper baselining ($$$) they can be brought up to spec, but that’s a huge undertaking.

My gut says newer the better since it would presumably have less miles, less owners and generally be less beat on. A 4 runner is very capable and just as ‘reliable’ for roadtrips.

I love diesel, but don’t think they are particularly more reliable, from a practical point of view, than a Toyota gas engine, specifically a 2f/22re/3rz/5vz. You’ll have more problems with other issues with the vehicle long before you wear out an engine. Theoretically, in an overland, high load, severe use environment a diesel is probably more reliable….aka third world Africa. Diesels have their own share of disadvantages that people seem to overlook, ease of overheating/damage, poor power/weight, expensive rebuilds, frequent oil changes, etc.

Buy what is in better shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles