ARE Commercial shell vs fiberglass

brasgaucho

Hello,

I'm looking to replace my used repainted shell on my 2011 Tacoma for a ARE commercial shell (with windows) or a fiberglass.
The paint does not need to mach, I actually prefer a different color.
The tacoma is silver streak mica.
Has anyone done this?
Any input would be greatly appreciated ...

Yellowkayak

Adventurer
I've got an ARE fiberglass shell (white to match truck). I'm one of those guys that believe it has to be functional AND look good doing it. Are you talking aluminum versus fiberglass? If so stick with the fiberglass and get the carpet kit for the sealing. The aluminum welds will give after awhile on offroad excursions, the fiberglass shells are pretty tough. But this is my opinion, and experience sense I owned an aluminum one and the welds broke after a year, so i told myself I'd go with fiberglass from now on, and I love my new shell. Also you can hual more weight on the fiberglass, like a roof top tent if you want.

JJ

brasgaucho

Thanks for the reply Yellowkayak,

I was in a hurry when I wrote the post.
I'm between the fiberglass and the commercial shell with windows. I like the way commercial shells look but I guess the concern is the the aluminum welds will give after while... like you have said.
I was wondering if anyone has opted for the commercial shell and still happy with their decision.
Any pics out there?

oddball

I can take more detailed pics if you want and answer what I can. I've had it for two months but its been thoroughly tested in that short time.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Snugtop Snugpro...

I went with a Snugtop for my 2011 Tundra. It is a commercial grade topper in fiberglass. I just completed a cabinet project for it ~ Pics of the project will come later.

300126523_photobucket_6012_.jpg

300126523_photobucket_5921_.jpg

300126523_photobucket_6013_.jpg

300126523_photobucket_6002_.jpg

I would take a good close look at these. Every bit as good as the ARE...

Regards,

BWJ

brasgaucho

Awesome-Thanks!!! oddball and bigwapitijohnny!!!
That's the look I'm going for... Don't want my Tacoma to look like an suv.
keep the pics coming!

robert

Expedition Leader
I've got an ARE on my truck since you can't get Snugtops on the east coast anymore. Mine is a CX series with the screened sliders and I mounted a Yakima track on top for roof racks. It's been on my truck for around four years with no issues other than I need to pull it and change the rubber weatherstripping under it now.

I really, really wish I had gotten the windoors on both sides and the drop down front slider (would make cleaning so much easier). I also wish I'd gotten the MX series instead- the cab high profile looks better but the headroom would be nice.

There is no way I'd put a RTT on it; I seem to recall mine saying it was rated for 200# or something like that. I have put various combinations of boats, bikes, Yakima Space Booster and lumber up there though- oh, and some furniture and mattresses too.

I'd looked at the commercial series but this is my daily driver (when I'm home anyways) so I wanted it to look good too.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
I have always liked the look of the DCUs and other commercial tops, but I have been nothing but pleased with my ARE CX cab-high. I have the tracks and Yakima racks on top, and I can just make it to the roof to load stuff and bikes, if the top was higher it would require a step or something to get to the bikes, I can take the hit in head room for this. The high top would be great if you were not planing to use a roof rack. Windoors are key, I could not live with out it! I hope this helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles