Tundra brake/spongy peddle issue fix...

OldSven

Explorer
So i did the tundra 231mm brake mod to the 4runner the other day after my stock ones were toast. Got that done and had a very soft peddle, checked the rear drums and the shoes were shot so replaced them along with some new wheel cylinders. Bled the system about 4 times with no luck. After going through a bunch of threads only thing else it could be was air in the ABS system somewhere.

A buddy of mine told me how he takes care of that issue which worked on mine to get a nice firm peddle back was to:

-with vehicle off pump brakes 25x

-turn vehicle on and drive down the street

-pull over and repeat about 3-4 times

Now on mine it actually made it worse for about the first 20-30min of driving while the system was purging I'm guessing the air back up and out the master cylinder and building pressure back up in the brake system but in the end I have a nice solid peddle and the tundras up front sure make a big difference. The other thing that helped was making sure the rear drums were adjusted just to the point where they were starting to touch the drums. Hope this helps some with this issue...:)

keezer37

Explorer
Anytime I do a fluid flush, I limit the number of pumps to fifteen and top it off. Repeat. Go too far and you start sucking air in the master cylinder.

With the drums, I adjust the star wheel to the point I cannot put the drums on then slowly back it off to where the drums just slip on and drag. I do it this way because for me, using a brake adjuster tool from the backside of the baking plate with the drum on is a pain.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Also do not put the brake peddle all the way to the floor stop just before it. It sounds like air in the system,did you adjust the rear brakes? How does the parking brake feel,should only be about 3 clicks or so when pushed to set the brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke