PDA

View Full Version : Just installed-AllPro Expo Leaf Springs

upcountry
11-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Installed Friday, Veterans Day. Thank you to those who have served our country. Install went well. I got about 3.5 inches of lift. I also installed the ubolt flip kit. Some notes on the spring packs and install:

1) There is a retainer clip for the ebrake cable that is un accounted for. I am not sure why AllPro has not drilled and tapped the alignment bracket on the spring pack the same way the OEM setup is designex. This seems to be something they overlooked. I had to drill and tap this to use the factory ebrake cable retainer clip.

2) I tried to use my OME Nitrochargers but they are too short. They work on the street but will limkt flex off road. Also of note the valving seems off and the springs overwhelm the OME Nitrochargers and the truck bounces slightly empty.... I attribute this to not having the right shock
setup to match the srping.

3) Even with note 2 above the ride is GREAT. I had OEM TSB packs with an AAL kit that yeilded about 2.5 inches of lift before the swap. The ride before was harsh and spring rate not smooth. The new ride is smooth in every way. I tried it loaded with about 400#s of quickcrete today and it rode very well with little settling.

4) install was very easy. Took me around 4 hours in the rain (i love Seattle) including setup and cleanup. Mostly 19mm and 17mm. I had to jack the truck way up in the air and used two massive jackstands a bottle jack and a roller jack with a small jackatand to support the axle.

I'm ordering some Billy 5165s to fix the shock length and valving issue.

Pics soon.

Truck is a DC SB 4wd.

PTO
11-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Pic's please.

bat
11-20-2011, 12:33 AM
What is the travel on the bilstein's extension and compression

TACODOC
11-20-2011, 01:22 AM
Pic's please.

Pics or it never happened... ;)

upcountry
11-20-2011, 01:35 AM
Manana....going to drive up the neighbors wall and measure travel for some billy 5165s.

Need to measure max etension and max compression.

upcountry
11-20-2011, 01:38 AM
May need to order some extended bump stops from Jegs.

upcountry
11-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Some pics of the axle articulation at full droop and full compression after install of the Allpro expo springs, way more articulation than I used to get with just the TSB packs and AAL.

I put 4 60# sandbags in the back so there was enough weight for it to compress and backed the truck up my neighbors wall which is a perfect wheel ramp.

The drivers side bum-stop was bottomed out and the pass side was fully drooped.

I unbolted the top of the OME Nitrocharger before backing up becuase the OME shock will limit droop with this setup (shock is too short for Allpro spring packs).

After measuring I determined that the shock compression length is around 17 inches, and full extension length is around 26 inches. So, this means that a shock that is around 16.5 inches long compressed, and 27 inches long extended should fit perfectly.

upcountry
11-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Looks like Billstien #25-187717 will work.

5165 remote resi 16.1 collapsed 27.4 extended. 255/70 valving.

$189.00 each.

degraaf
01-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Did you end up getting the Bilstein 5165s, and if so, how are they? Correct length? Any pictures? I'm planning on getting a set of the All-Pro expo leafs for my 2001 double cab and would like to make sure I get the correct rear shocks when I place my order.

downhill
02-01-2012, 12:07 AM
I have the same springs, and basically went down the same path. All-Pro sold me the 24" 5100s to go with the springs and I immediately realized they were too short. I don't get that. My set-up netted 3.25" of lift and so have not settled one bit. 27" was my choice too for chock length. The valving however is a very good match. Mine have a firm but very comfortable ride. As for thr E-brake clip, My E-brake cable is a bit short for the new springs. I had to leave the second clip unattached to not put stress on the cable at full droop. My spring set also located the axle .75" to the rear.

Over the scale my truck weighs 2700# on the rear axle. I have had it loaded with firewood, I'm guessing 800 pounds or more, and the back end settled maybe 2". These springs can handle a ton of weight and for some reason don't seem harsh at all. I also installed the U-bolt flip and a Defined Engineering greasable shackle. I used locking nuts on the spring bolts so they could be left loose.

Do you know how much your rear axle weighs?

bat
02-01-2012, 01:47 AM
I did the same thing with my e-brake bracket to much stress with flex

degraaf
02-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Do you know how much your rear axle weighs?

Nope, not a clue. My suspension is completely stock right now. I tow a ski boat sometimes in the summer and haul a lot of tools and equipment back and forth to a lake, and I have a ARE fiberglass cap on the back, so that's why I was thinking about going with the AP expo leafs.

upcountry
02-01-2012, 01:27 PM
I ended up going with a Billstein 5100 that has the correct collapsed/extension length. Got them from Wheelers Offroad. They are the shocks that are sold with the RCD lift kit for 4" rear lift. Installed them last weekend. So far I like the ride.

The reason I decided to go with the 5100's is:

-Price.
-I decided not to go with a remote reservoir setup and am sticking with Old Man Emu on the front.

My prior plans were to go with a FOX Coilover from All-Pro, and get the Billsteint 5165's for the rear. I decided this was overkill and wanted to cut some costs so I could get more done.

I just added an ARB Bullbar Bumper, Purchased a Badland bumpers rear tube bumper and swingate, safari snorkel, etc.......

upcountry
02-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Nope, not a clue. My suspension is completely stock right now. I tow a ski boat sometimes in the summer and haul a lot of tools and equipment back and forth to a lake, and I have a ARE fiberglass cap on the back, so that's why I was thinking about going with the AP expo leafs.

I really like the All-Pro Expo Packs. Smooth ride, I had a minor driveline vibe that has gone away and only a small vibe at slow speed between 15-20 MPH, but only when the the truck bed is empty. If I have 150#'s + in the bed, no vibe.

I used the hate driving the truck with wight in the bed, now there is no effect. Ride is great empty or loaded.

upcountry
02-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Did you end up getting the Bilstein 5165s, and if so, how are they? Correct length? Any pictures? I'm planning on getting a set of the All-Pro expo leafs for my 2001 double cab and would like to make sure I get the correct rear shocks when I place my order.

The length seems correct. I have had it up on the wall again to check after install of longer shocks and at full droop and full compression the shock was not maxed out either way.

upcountry
02-01-2012, 01:42 PM

I hope you at least were able to get the TSB spring pack upgrade from Toyota?

upcountry
02-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Did not know about this product:

http://www.definedengineering.com/products.html

Thanks for mentioning it. Also like some of their other products.

Does anyonw know if they have a bolt with a zerk fitting that is tapped and designed to lube the spring eye for front and rear as well? The product shown only has a fitting for the shackle-to-frame connection. Looking for greaseable option from the shackle-to-springeye.

bat
02-01-2012, 02:35 PM
UPCOUNTRY if you get a chance can you measure from center of wheel to bottom of fender in the rear

upcountry
02-01-2012, 02:45 PM
UPCOUNTRY if you get a chance can you measure from center of wheel to bottom of fender in the rear

Yeah, can do when I get home this PM. Need to re-torque some bolts also so will be messing with it anyway.

downhill
02-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Did not know about this product:

http://www.definedengineering.com/products.html

Thanks for mentioning it. Also like some of their other products.

Does anyonw know if they have a bolt with a zerk fitting that is tapped and designed to lube the spring eye for front and rear as well? The product shown only has a fitting for the shackle-to-frame connection. Looking for greaseable option from the shackle-to-springeye.

I'm not aware of a source for the drilled bolts. I would like some as well. I used an extremely clingy grease in all the connections and I expect it to last a good long time. the shackles are well made. Luckily I got mine for $100 on sale.

I've been very happy with the dampening of the 5100s and find them a good match to the expo pack. I just wish All-Pro carried the right shock for their products.

upcountry
02-02-2012, 12:28 AM

Approx. 25.25" from center of wheel to bottom of fender measured vertically up from center of.wheel. with 200#s of sandbags jn the back.

downhill
02-02-2012, 01:21 AM
My hub to fender distance is 25.375, so very similar. Upcountry, do you have a weight on your rear axle? I'm just curious to compare notes. It seemed to me that when I lowered the truck onto the springs they settled very easy down to that level and then stopped. I had nearly an empty tank of gas so I went and filled up (around 140#). That added weight seemed to have absolutely no effect on the ride height.

bat
02-02-2012, 02:15 AM
upcountry Thanks for the number, just for reference I have about 400lbs + and sit at 23.50 and 15k + miles on them.

upcountry
02-02-2012, 01:23 PM
upcountry Thanks for the number, just for reference I have about 400lbs + and sit at 23.50 and 15k + miles on them.

I am adding a Tube Bumper and Tire Swing-Gate (local Company - Badland Bumpers) in about two weeks - it's being built right now. I am interested to see what happens when I move the spare back to the swing-gate and add the extra weigth of the bumper.

How much weight does everyone usually max out on for longer trips?

With water, propane, tents, stuff for my kids, etc (Read: BEER), I think I am around 400-500 #'s in cargo, plus passengers. Could be more.

upcountry
02-02-2012, 01:24 PM
My hub to fender distance is 25.375, so very similar. Upcountry, do you have a weight on your rear axle? I'm just curious to compare notes. It seemed to me that when I lowered the truck onto the springs they settled very easy down to that level and then stopped. I had nearly an empty tank of gas so I went and filled up (around 140#). That added weight seemed to have absolutely no effect on the ride height.

I need to get to a scale. Unfortunately I live in suburbia. Another forum member here, Java, who is also in Seattle told me about a scale I can use, so I may need to take a trip to get it weighed before adding the tube bumper/swing-gate.

bat
02-02-2012, 01:38 PM
You need to have some weight in the back with these springs at least 200lbs, the thing I like is I can put 700lbs or 200lbs and the ride is pretty much the same compared to having an overload leaf.

downhill
02-02-2012, 04:15 PM
I need to get to a scale. Unfortunately I live in suburbia. Another forum member here, Java, who is also in Seattle told me about a scale I can use, so I may need to take a trip to get it weighed before adding the tube bumper/swing-gate.

Yeah, you really need to visit a scale because the numbers may surprise you. It sure sneaked up on me! Supposedly the stock empty rear wheel weight on the Access cab is 1,400 pounds. My truck has a Leer top with rack, CBI bushmaster bumper with swingaway (tire under the bed), thick rubber bed mat, Sliders, tool box, OBA, full tank of gas, a few odds and ends, + me and 2 dogs. It weighs 2,700 on the rear axle. All that crap adds up! I'm basically at the GVW empty, but of course I have a much heavier suspension. My main concerns are axle load and load on the rear diff.

YotaPilot
05-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Any updates on how the All Pro Expo springs are working out with the swing away tire carrier/bumper? How about a long term overall review if them.

upcountry
07-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Approx. 25.25" from center of wheel to bottom of fender measured vertically up from center of.wheel. with 200#s of sandbags jn the back.

Update: 8 monthz and 10k on the rear springs the truck now sits at 25" even.

That is with the addition of a rear swingate tube bumper and spare tire carrier with 33" tire on rear.