Just installed-AllPro Expo Leaf Springs

upcountry

Explorer
Installed Friday, Veterans Day. Thank you to those who have served our country. Install went well. I got about 3.5 inches of lift. I also installed the ubolt flip kit. Some notes on the spring packs and install:

1) There is a retainer clip for the ebrake cable that is un accounted for. I am not sure why AllPro has not drilled and tapped the alignment bracket on the spring pack the same way the OEM setup is designex. This seems to be something they overlooked. I had to drill and tap this to use the factory ebrake cable retainer clip.

2) I tried to use my OME Nitrochargers but they are too short. They work on the street but will limkt flex off road. Also of note the valving seems off and the springs overwhelm the OME Nitrochargers and the truck bounces slightly empty.... I attribute this to not having the right shock
setup to match the srping.

3) Even with note 2 above the ride is GREAT. I had OEM TSB packs with an AAL kit that yeilded about 2.5 inches of lift before the swap. The ride before was harsh and spring rate not smooth. The new ride is smooth in every way. I tried it loaded with about 400#s of quickcrete today and it rode very well with little settling.

4) install was very easy. Took me around 4 hours in the rain (i love Seattle) including setup and cleanup. Mostly 19mm and 17mm. I had to jack the truck way up in the air and used two massive jackstands a bottle jack and a roller jack with a small jackatand to support the axle.

I'm ordering some Billy 5165s to fix the shock length and valving issue.

Pics soon.

Truck is a DC SB 4wd.

upcountry

Explorer
Manana....going to drive up the neighbors wall and measure travel for some billy 5165s.

Need to measure max etension and max compression.

upcountry

Explorer
Some pics of the axle articulation at full droop and full compression after install of the Allpro expo springs, way more articulation than I used to get with just the TSB packs and AAL.

I put 4 60# sandbags in the back so there was enough weight for it to compress and backed the truck up my neighbors wall which is a perfect wheel ramp.

The drivers side bum-stop was bottomed out and the pass side was fully drooped.

I unbolted the top of the OME Nitrocharger before backing up becuase the OME shock will limit droop with this setup (shock is too short for Allpro spring packs).

After measuring I determined that the shock compression length is around 17 inches, and full extension length is around 26 inches. So, this means that a shock that is around 16.5 inches long compressed, and 27 inches long extended should fit perfectly.

Shock_10.JPG

Shock_2.JPG

Shock_1.JPG

shock_6.JPG

Shock_8.JPG

Shock_5.JPG

Shock_9.JPG

Shock_7.JPG

Shock_4.JPG

Shock_3.JPG

upcountry

Explorer
Looks like Billstien #25-187717 will work.

5165 remote resi 16.1 collapsed 27.4 extended. 255/70 valving.

$189.00 each.

degraaf

Did you end up getting the Bilstein 5165s, and if so, how are they? Correct length? Any pictures? I'm planning on getting a set of the All-Pro expo leafs for my 2001 double cab and would like to make sure I get the correct rear shocks when I place my order.

downhill

Adventurer
I have the same springs, and basically went down the same path. All-Pro sold me the 24" 5100s to go with the springs and I immediately realized they were too short. I don't get that. My set-up netted 3.25" of lift and so have not settled one bit. 27" was my choice too for chock length. The valving however is a very good match. Mine have a firm but very comfortable ride. As for thr E-brake clip, My E-brake cable is a bit short for the new springs. I had to leave the second clip unattached to not put stress on the cable at full droop. My spring set also located the axle .75" to the rear.

Over the scale my truck weighs 2700# on the rear axle. I have had it loaded with firewood, I'm guessing 800 pounds or more, and the back end settled maybe 2". These springs can handle a ton of weight and for some reason don't seem harsh at all. I also installed the U-bolt flip and a Defined Engineering greasable shackle. I used locking nuts on the spring bolts so they could be left loose.

Do you know how much your rear axle weighs?

degraaf

Do you know how much your rear axle weighs?

Nope, not a clue. My suspension is completely stock right now. I tow a ski boat sometimes in the summer and haul a lot of tools and equipment back and forth to a lake, and I have a ARE fiberglass cap on the back, so that's why I was thinking about going with the AP expo leafs.

upcountry

Explorer
I ended up going with a Billstein 5100 that has the correct collapsed/extension length. Got them from Wheelers Offroad. They are the shocks that are sold with the RCD lift kit for 4" rear lift. Installed them last weekend. So far I like the ride.

The reason I decided to go with the 5100's is:

-Price.
-I decided not to go with a remote reservoir setup and am sticking with Old Man Emu on the front.

My prior plans were to go with a FOX Coilover from All-Pro, and get the Billsteint 5165's for the rear. I decided this was overkill and wanted to cut some costs so I could get more done.

I just added an ARB Bullbar Bumper, Purchased a Badland bumpers rear tube bumper and swingate, safari snorkel, etc.......

IMG_20120127_123027.jpg

IMG_20120127_123019.jpg

IMG_20120127_122920.jpg

IMG_20120127_122909.jpg

Last edited:

upcountry

Explorer
Nope, not a clue. My suspension is completely stock right now. I tow a ski boat sometimes in the summer and haul a lot of tools and equipment back and forth to a lake, and I have a ARE fiberglass cap on the back, so that's why I was thinking about going with the AP expo leafs.

I really like the All-Pro Expo Packs. Smooth ride, I had a minor driveline vibe that has gone away and only a small vibe at slow speed between 15-20 MPH, but only when the the truck bed is empty. If I have 150#'s + in the bed, no vibe.

I used the hate driving the truck with wight in the bed, now there is no effect. Ride is great empty or loaded.

upcountry

Explorer
Did you end up getting the Bilstein 5165s, and if so, how are they? Correct length? Any pictures? I'm planning on getting a set of the All-Pro expo leafs for my 2001 double cab and would like to make sure I get the correct rear shocks when I place my order.

The length seems correct. I have had it up on the wall again to check after install of longer shocks and at full droop and full compression the shock was not maxed out either way.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles