Dura-Trac Follow Up Report:

bcrez

Adventurer
When I bought my dura-tracs a year ago, they were only a couple of years old, and finding reliable primary source reviews from long term users was difficult. After driving on them over 30,000 miles this year I am looking for some info to compare my experience with other drivers. Let me start by saying I love these tires. The handling in mud, snow, sand, and pavement were above my expectations.

The problem is that for 6 months this year I was on dirt 7 days a week, often with a max-payload. My tires have worn incredibly fast. I know this is because of the type of driving they were a part of, but to what degree this played into the wear I am not sure.

I would love to hear about your experiences with the Goodyear Dura-tracs. If you're going to post your opinion please include a few details: what vehicle they're on, load rating, how many miles you've put on them/ how many off-highway, and how well you think they have worn.

Details on mine:
Vehicle: Gen. 2 Tacoma
Tire Size: 265/75/R16
Load Rating: E
Miles on tire: 36k
Off-highway MPY: 10k-15k
Wear rating: ?

Thanks for taking the time to contribute.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
I have had great luck with the duratrac's. They were originally purchased because the stock tires were not up to the task. I run sweep/recovery for the New England Forest Rally and the regional Team O'Neil rally (when it runs). So we run a couple of events a year with these and the rest of the time they are DD tires. They have been fantastic in the snow, and probably the best tire I have run for the rally events. They have stood up to miles upon miles of hard sharp shale at ~60mph. And they were a vast improvement on road from the passenger type tires that were on previously.

Because of the cost of the tires, and our lack of need for this type of tire on a mostly DD rig. They do get a tad noisy, but are silent compared to even the most mundane mud tires I have run in the past (I only mention the noise because it is a lexus and they were different from the all season type tires that were on it). We are going to purchase a second set of wheels and tires for the summer and use these for winter and rally events. I am just hoping that we are as happy with whatever those end up being as we are with the Duratracs. s

Details:
'04 Lexus GX470
Tire Size: 265-70-17
Load Rating: E
Miles: 36k
Off Highway: maybe a 1000 high speed miles or so

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
My tires have worn incredibly fast. I know this is because of the type of driving they were a part of, but to what degree this played into the wear I am not sure.

This has been my experience with all the Goodyear tires I've owned over the years from mud terrains to passenger tires they all wore fast.

YMMV

zidaro

Explorer
14K on a set under a Tundra Crewmax that carries a heavy popup regularly. 295/65-18 Load E. half that time they have been on snow, ice, or dirt.

Love the tire.
Amazing in the snow and ice, great grip on wet rocks, decent for an AT in mud, and solid on the highway. They love the punishing deserts of NV and E. CA.
Do wish i didnt feel like they are wearing a bit faster than they should, at this point i would be ecstatic to get 40K out of them. I have had GY before and feel they make a great tire.

sargeek

Adventurer
I was helping a family member look for tire on a F250 Power Stroke at Diacount Tire. The store manager said that I would have been happy with the general performance of the tire, but in that application the tires would not meet the lifespan of other tires made for that vehicle. He generaly recomends them for lighter 4x4.

Howski

got a set of Kelly TSR's which are essentially the same as the GY DT. i've been really happy with them the few thousand miles i've had them. flex great, quiet and seem to be wearing decent. took them through some pretty gnarly rocks and there was very very little chunking. just a few very small chips out of some (maybe 1-2/tires) of the lugs

jeff parker

Observer
Coming from a track day/autocross background I have a different take on tire life. For my cars, any tire that lasts over 20k miles is likely to have horrible grip. I know we're talking trucks here, I just find it amusing to think of a 40k tire as wearing too quickly.

My Dura Tracs only have about 3k on them. I'll let you know how they wear in a few years:)

zidaro

Explorer
Coming from a track day/autocross background I have a different take on tire life. For my cars, any tire that lasts over 20k miles is likely to have horrible grip. I know we're talking trucks here, I just find it amusing to think of a 40k tire as wearing too quickly.

My Dura Tracs only have about 3k on them. I'll let you know how they wear in a few years:)

I actually agree and that is why this is my second set (other set is on a lighter 87runner and is wearing perfectly). They are a GREAT tire and i love them in the area i live and the use i give them. Just tried to give an honest opinion on wear.

bcrez

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback. I am still on the fence. I love the tire, but at 25k-30k miles a year. I am only pushing about a year out of a pair of Dura-tracs. I cant imagine something BFGoodrich AT's are going to last much longer though.

owhiting

Supporting Sponsor
dura-trac

1999 F250 powerstroke with 285/75/16 Dura-Tracs.
The tires are excellent in every type of weather or terrain. They are however even louder on the highway than the 7.3 diesel. I have had them on for about a year now so around 20,000 miles and they are pretty worn and will need to be replaced in the summer.

First impressions were of very soft side walls at 60 psi but 80 psi solved that issue. I do carry 3000 lbs in the bed of the truck and haul a heavy trailer so that will lead to faster tire wear.

If you have a lighter weight vehicle and plan on driving off road or in snow I know these tires would perform very well.

bcrez

Adventurer
So I guess I would be open to recommendations. Similar aggressive AT design with better tread life. Any suggestions? I would not consider a BF Goodrich AT an aggressive AT.

Jrally

Adventurer
Love my DuraTracs. I've had them on my Ford Expedition for 1-1/2 years, about 28K miles, mostly pavement with the occational burst down trails and rally roads. The grip and sand and mud has been great and thier on road manners, even in rain storms while towing my race car, nothing but a very secure feling and confidance. Currently, the tires still have more then 50% of thier tread left too, so not seeing the fast wear. Although, maybe I'm not that hard on tires, got 60K miles on my BFG A/Ts when I had an extended cab Tacoma.

-Jon

Applejack

Explorer
I'm still in love with my DT's, the tire salesman told me to expect 40-45k out of them but I think the 30-35k will probably be more like it.
I can't say enough good things about their "All Terrain" performance though.

Logans91XJ

Dirt Road Anthem
LOVE THIS TIRE AND Everything About them from the way they look to the way they handle. Have several buddies up north that run these year after year and most won't change to anything else. 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I believe he is on a 32" Tall not sure about load rating.

--- In the grand skeam of things you could be on a motorcycle that only gets 6-8K miles on a set of tires. :)

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
I'm still in love with my DT's, the tire salesman told me to expect 40-45k out of them but I think the 30-35k will probably be more like it.
I can't say enough good things about their "All Terrain" performance though.

We have 38K on them now. I expect that 50 is attainable at this rate. Although we are picking up some Highway All season's for the daily driving (summer) duties).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles