PDA

View Full Version : Upcountry's 07' Tacoma - Weekend Warrior Build - Work In Progress

upcountry
11-14-2011, 11:41 PM
Finally starting a build thread.

Truck is 2007 double cab 4WD 6 Speed Manual V6 TRD Off-Road version. Idea is weekend access to Eastern Washington. I hate the rain but somehow I still live in Seattle. I like the dry arid climate of the East side of the Cascades.

Bought the truck in November of 2007 after selling my 1989 Syncro Vanagon. My wife hated the van and wanted a reliable vehicle, even after a Go Westy 2500 engine upgrade the van was slow and had electrical demons that made a SAAB look like a good idea. We delivered our first child in January of 2008, and (as any of you who have kids know) it sure did change my life. We now have two kids, so the build has taken some time as the "backseat" project. Kids come first, and they sure do cost a lot. But, I paid the truck off last month, wrote the last $7500 check and I have the title now.

I started modifying the truck about two years ago after I got really frustrated with the really crappy stock suspension on the TRD model no less (If I were to buy a new truck again I would not buy the TRD model, rather I would spend the money I saved on suspension upgrades and do it right the first time).

Here is what the truck looks like today (March 6, 2012):

Front suspension mods:
OME 885s (Replaced February 2012 with OME 886s WITH Toytec 10MM Top Spacer)
OME Nitrochargers (Replaced in February 2012 with OME Nitrocharger Sport Series)
Toytec 10MM top plate (Installed 2009 with original OME lift - re-installed in 2012 with upgraded lift)
Wheelers bumpstop (Installed August 2011- still on truck with OME 886s)
Light racing uca (Installed April 2011 - Still on truck)

Rear Suspension mods:
Toytec AAL and Toyota TSB spring packs (Replaced in November 2011 with AllPro Expedition Leaf Packs)
OME Nitrochargers (Replaced in February 2012 with RCD Billstien 5100s for l;onger travel - RCD shocks have around 12" of travel to match the new leaf packs)
AllPro U-bolt flip kit (Intstalled November 2011)

Front Bumper:
ARB BullBar - Old Style - No Fog Holes (Installed February 2012)
Rigid Industries LED Lamps (Installed June 2012)

Rear Bumper:
Badland Bumpers Rear Tube Bumper With Towing Receiver and Tire/Fuel Can/Hi-Lift Mount Swing Gate (Installed February 2012)

Safari Snorkel:
Safari Snorkel Kit - Ordered from Cruiser Outfitters (Installed February 2012)

Other Mods:
Allpro extended stainless brake lines (Installed June 2011)
Allpro sliders (Installed June 2011)
285/70/17s (Installed August 2009)
17" AR Mojave Teflon Black Wheels (Installed August 2009)
Fiberglass camper shell painted to match with "windoors" (Installed June 2008)
Max legal tint (Installed June 2008)
Hilift mounted in bed (Installed July 2011)
Hi-Lift slider adapter (Installed July 2011)
Rear Diff Breather Relocate (Installed October 2011)
SPOD Source accessory switch and relay kit (Installed October 2011)
Reverse lights (Installed November 2011 - Re-installed July 2012 with larger halogen lamps)
IPF 100 Watt Fogs (Installed February 2012)
Harborfreight 12,000# Winch with winch solenoid mounted in engine compartment (Mounted February 2012)
Thule Roof Racks on Gutter Feet (Installed June 2008)
Yesau 2800 2M Radio (Working on install now March 2012 - Update - still working on install!!!)
Laser/Radar Detector
GROM Audio I-Pod Adapter to Stock Stereo - Retains steering wheel control for I-Pod (Installed June 2010)

Trailers:
M101a2 Trailer (Too big for the trail but great for forest service roads)

Next mods:
Bud Built or ATO Skids
Gears

upcountry
11-15-2011, 12:18 AM
I went with the Light Racing UCAs made by SPC becuase they are adjustable (have a built in cam system) and becuase they have a greased ball joint with a boot and require no maintenance. I looked at other versions with a uniball, but they all required rebuilds after limited mileage - I live in a very rainy muddy area and did not want to be worried about rebuild later.

upcountry
11-15-2011, 12:22 AM

Went with the 885's and Toytect top spacer. Added Allpro stainless brake lines. The stainless brake lines added a lot of braking power with less pedal effort. I really like the OME 885s with nitrochargers for the DC weight. It rides really well and yeilded about 3 inches of lift with the 10 mm top spacer. Also added a Wheelers extended length bumpstop.

upcountry
11-15-2011, 12:39 AM

Bolt on tube sliders with rear kickout and fill plates.

upcountry
11-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Bolt on tube sliders with rear kickout and fill plates.

upcountry
11-15-2011, 12:57 AM

I chose to go with the SPOD Source setup becuase I wanted a seperate system to run accessories. I plan to add a second battery. This is a clean system with 6 independent fused circuits switched through a relay connected to 6 different switches in the dash or console. First switch is setup to run add on reverse lights.

upcountry
11-15-2011, 01:03 AM
Decided to go with AR Mojave Teflon Coated 17" Wheels.
Centercaps gave me problems, so I ditched them.

upcountry
11-15-2011, 01:09 AM
Just installed in Novemeber 2011 to replace OEM TSB packs with Toytec AAL. I got about 3.5 inches of lift with these as opposed to about 2.5 inches with the AAL/TSB setup.

I really like the ride so far.

Also added Allpro Ubolt flip kit, and had to modify the stock bumpstop slightly to match the tapped holes in the ubolt plate.

upcountry
11-15-2011, 01:14 AM

Relocated rear diff breather with new 2 way breather and union.

sseaman
11-15-2011, 02:07 AM
Nice write-up and good build. Which tires are you running?

bat
11-15-2011, 04:18 AM
Great looking truck do the rear shocks limit travel

upcountry
11-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Nice write-up and good build. Which tires are you running?

Thanks! I am really looking forward to getting the ARB bumper and winch on there.

Tires are Wildcountry XTX Sport 285-70-17s.

upcountry
11-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Great looking truck do the rear shocks limit travel

Yes. They will limit down travel slightly. Its not an issue on the road but will ne an issue on a trail. I am looking at Billstein 5165s but need to take some measurements first and need to get a handle on valving.

Wheelers also sells some 5100s that are used with a 4 inch lift (RCD) that are 80$ each. I just found it hard to buy the Allpro fox remote resi shocks at $280 each. Too expensive.

Here are some pics of the flex with the OME nitrochargrs:

80725[

bat
11-15-2011, 02:08 PM
I have the 5100 that have 10" of travel and very happy with them. I did have to set my bump stops they are just a little long, but no problems on my last trip.

upcountry
11-15-2011, 02:39 PM
I have the 5100 that have 10" of travel and very happy with them. I did have to set my bump stops they are just a little long, but no problems on my last trip.

Thats good news. I take it you have the Allpro Expo pack as well? I know you gave me positive feedback on my other "For Sale" post. I have no problem getting a longer bumpstop.

Another option I am looking into is extending the shaft on my Nitrochargers - I found a bolt extender over at Tacoma Screw (amazing bolt supply store that is located here in Seattle).

Are these the shocks you are talking about? (The B-110s at the bottom): http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoadjbils.htm

I was also looking at the 5165s which sell for around 160$ each - which is half the price of the Fox setup Allpro is selling.

Thanks for the feedback!

bat
11-15-2011, 10:21 PM
I believe I have the b110 and I picked them up from Downsouth motor sports. I have the ubolt flip kit also and I picked up some EVS foam bump stops. I purchased a 4" long set and cut them down just before my shocks bottom out, they are mounted off the frame.

wilson
11-16-2011, 02:29 AM
Are you able to use the factory TPMS units with the Mojave teflons?

upcountry
11-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Are you able to use the factory TPMS units with the Mojave teflons?

Good question. They are SUPPOSEDLY compatible. The local Les Schwab tire shop where I got the tires annd wheels told me yhey would work but that I had to go to the dealer to have them reset
So the stock tpms were mounted but I have not been to the dealer for the past 2.5 years since I got the wheels and tires. So the orange tire pressure light is still on on the dash. Oh well.

So the answer is yes they will work but you are better off having the tire and tpms units mounted at the dealer to make sure they are mounted correctly and calibrated to function correctly.

My suggestion is buy tires and wheels online and have the dealer yank tpms from stock wheels and mount in new wheels and then mount tires. May cost a little more but this is a gurantee it will work.....if you care about the tpms working. I don't have an outo traction system so if it does not work it does not affect my driveline...
just an annoying orange light. With the 33s you can tell quickly if you have a low tire plus I air down off road and darn ligjt would flash anyway.

WASURF63
11-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Nice rig Upcountry!
I was running something similar a few years back...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=38746&d=1268597300

I'll keep an eye out for you around town. :smiley_drive:

frobuster
11-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Wow tire looks surprising close to revo's. Any report on them? Especially in ice/snow?

bat
11-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Don"t you have a reset button under the steering wheel. Mine would not work on my factory Toyota wheels (dont' ask) so have them in a pressurized canister. I just used the reset button under the steering column and off goes the light.

wilson
11-17-2011, 12:32 AM
thats good news, thanks!

upcountry
11-17-2011, 01:04 AM
Don"t you have a reset button under the steering wheel. Mine would not work on my factory Toyota wheels (dont' ask) so have them in a pressurized canister. I just used the reset button under the steering column and off goes the light.

Good idea and maybe im just doing it wrong
...I have tried that several times over the years....no luck. Orange light persists. I even have read and followed the instructions in the manual. No luck. Tire vendor says take it to the dealer....I just don't care that much! I seem to have been fine without a tpms in my previois generations of toyota truck!!

upcountry
11-17-2011, 01:10 AM
Wow tire looks surprising close to revo's. Any report on them? Especially in ice/snow?

Tires are great in snow. No complaints. Only stuck once in snow but that was towing my snowmobile trailer and a foot of fresh snow and bad driving on my part.

Have not done much on rocks so no feedback there but they are great in the sand......I have spweding ticket going 50 on the beach at Westport to prove it......I did not know there was a speed limit on the beach!!!!

Only complaint is they seem to be weathering poorly and are starting to show signs of cracking in the tread recesses. Not sure if this is a bad sign????? Ill take a close-up picture and post.

frobuster
11-17-2011, 01:17 AM
Cool, I might try to score a set? And yes I was told there's a reset on my 07access also.

upcountry
11-19-2011, 08:31 PM

Finally a sunny day in Seattle!

upcountry
11-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Some pics of the Allpro slider mount.

I modified the way in which the assembly mounted to the frame. I used all Grade 8 hardware and drilled some extra holes (Good idea? you tell me). I did not like the "self taping" lag bolts that came with the kit for the front mount plate, so drilled and crammed my hand inside the frame rail. I still need to get my wife out there to use her smaller hand and arm to get deeper into the frame to get the last two bolts in - I could not get my hand far enough in. But, its held on with two grade eight bolts on each side in the front, more than strong enough!

upcountry
11-20-2011, 09:46 PM
From before the truck mods started.

upcountry
11-21-2011, 09:39 PM
In continuation of electrical upgrades I need to find somewhere to mount the other 5 switches for the SPOD. There was only slot in the dash left.....the other spaces had factory switches.

To fix the problem I found this setup that alliws you to add as many switch blank s as you want as long as you have space for the hole.. .. they just snap together....get a set of two ends and as many middle slots as you want amd snap together........

http://www.otrattw.com/products.php?cat=4&pg=2

Hope to install as soon as order comes in.

upcountry
12-08-2011, 03:11 AM

Installed other 5 SPOD relay switches. In center console using swithc bank from Over The River.

upcountry
12-08-2011, 03:29 AM
Picked up one of these from Gigaparts:

Yaseau 2900 2M

Going in for license exam next week.

Still need to figure out antennae setup.

soonenough
12-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Some pics of the Allpro slider mount....I modified the way in which the assembly mounted to the frame. I used all Grade 8 hardware.....

The main bolts that are seen hanging down from the frame rails in that picture - are those the ones you swapped out? I was under the impression that the bolts that came with the sliders were flat-head bolts so that they wouldn't protrude below the frame rail and get hung up on obstacles.

upcountry
12-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Yes. Without disrespect to Allpro the method of mounting and the hardware provided left me wanting something more.......substantial.

My primary purpose for having "sliders" is as armor for panel damage. The second reason is to provide a hilift point to jack from and the third is as a step to get access to the roof.

The hardware that came we sliders did allow it to mount flush, sort of. But the head of the tapered bolt did stick out still quite a bit. I also moved the holes and used a larger gauge bolt in what I felt was a better location. I did not use any of the hardware especially the lag bolts on the front assembly point. That looked like an insecure way to connect it. Hindsight I would weld it on.

soonenough
12-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Gotcha. So did you drill the holes out to allow for larger bolts, or did you just drill holes in a different location? You could look into these to provide some added protection for the bolt heads: Rock Washers (http://www.fourtreks.com/rock_slidder_washer.html)

upcountry
12-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Gotcha. So did you drill the holes out to allow for larger bolts, or did you just drill holes in a different location? You could look into these to provide some added protection for the bolt heads: Rock Washers (http://www.fourtreks.com/rock_slidder_washer.html)

That is a really interesting product. Thanks for the link! I'm going to look into that. Aside from the mounting hardware the sliders fit very well wjth only minor refinement. I like the product, just didn't like the mounting method.

upcountry
01-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Ordered up some new add ons:

1) Arb bull bar bumper (old style) with IPF lights. Looks like this (taken from photo bank online not my pic):

2) OME 886s with some fresh nitrochargers and extended studs so I can keep my 10 mm top spacer ro maintain full 3 inch lift.

3) rear badlands tube bumper with swingate amd fuel can holders. Looks like this (photo from badland bumpers):

4) Safari snorkel from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters

http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_2ndgenTaco_snorkel.html

cruiseroutfit
01-07-2012, 03:54 PM
4) Safari snorkel from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters

http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_2ndgenTaco_snorkel.html

Thanks again!

Excited to see all your new goods installed! :cool:

haddix
01-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Very nice purchases! Cant wait to see them installed.

upcountry
01-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Installed ARB Bullbar Fit Kit, painted frame and welds with rustoleum rust converter primer and rustoleum top coat rattle can:

Ordered a 3" to 4" Silicone boot to connect fender side of Intake Resonator (4" OD) to round end of rubber snorkel elbow (3" ID) - I plan to use a 2.5" peice of 3" OD stainless pipe to connect boot to the snorkel elbow:

Just need to find some time to mount the bumper to the fit kit and get the snorkel set. Snow has been good so I've been skiing with my son, plus it's wet outside so hard to find time to paint when it's dry.

Wired winch solenoid for in dash winch control with a trailer connector (pics from my cousin):

Badlands bumper is being finished, ordered new 6 on 5.5 black steel wheel from wheelers offroad for spare with 4.5 backspace.

I hope we get some dry days as I would love to finish working on this!

downhill
01-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Yes. Without disrespect to Allpro the method of mounting and the hardware provided left me wanting something more.......substantial.

My primary purpose for having "sliders" is as armor for panel damage. The second reason is to provide a hilift point to jack from and the third is as a step to get access to the roof.

The hardware that came we sliders did allow it to mount flush, sort of. But the head of the tapered bolt did stick out still quite a bit. I also moved the holes and used a larger gauge bolt in what I felt was a better location. I did not use any of the hardware especially the lag bolts on the front assembly point. That looked like an insecure way to connect it. Hindsight I would weld it on.

I bought one of the first of these 05+ sliders Allpro offered. I communicated all the mounting issues to them and they ignored it, so the problems persist. The problems are all fixable, so there is no excuse. Everybody I have talked to has to buy new hardware. It's a shame to have this type of black mark on an otherwise excellent product. I have more All-Pro products on my truck than any other supplier, so I'm not anti All-Pro. It just is what it is. I bought a box of grade 8 button head bolts for the frame rail attachment. If I were doing it again I would just plan on cutting the front support off and redoing it right. It's only held on by self threading screws. Given the thin thread engagement, that strength is about equal to using grade 8, 1/4" bolts with a nut. On top of that, you can't even get the top two in without an angle head air drill. Most people probably never even install them. These are all things you find out when the brown truck pulls up. None of these issues are shown on the installation video. As far as welding it on, yeah, that is an option but there are problems with that as well. Welding on the box section in the front leaves the back of the frame exposed to corrosion, and no good way to get in there and coat it. Aside from that, I bought a bolt on because I wanted a bolt on. Maybe someday they will get tired of reading posts like this and just fix it.

upcountry
01-24-2012, 05:53 PM
I hear you. I ended up ditching all of the mounting hardware and getting some quality grade 8 hardware. I drilled throufh the front mount holes into the boxed section of the frame and was able to get two grade 8 bolts through on rear of front mount on both pass and drivers side. My hand was too big for the other two holes on the front side of the front mount...I couls not get the nuts and wasbers far enough up inside. But at least I have two grade 8 bolts on each side holding the front mounts in place with a direct drill through the frame. This summer I'm going to po them off and paint the frame and re-install. Ill get my wife to stick her smaller hand inside the frame and get 4 bolts per mount in place.....already drilled the holes, just need a small hand. Ill probably use a shorter bolt too since the ones I used were too long but worked fine....it was all I had laying around.

downhill
01-24-2012, 06:45 PM
On mine, the lower front hole could be drilled all the way through the box so I used 6" x 1/2" grade 8 bolts with a Gr 8 washer & nut on the back. There was just enough room ahead of the cross member. The lower bolts take more of the stress from a bottom strike on the slider, so getting those beefed up is important. I've always thought it would be cool to have a trained monkey. Little hands, pretty flexible, works for peanuts. All Pro should have one on loan :sombrero:

upcountry
01-24-2012, 08:08 PM
My kids are like trained little monkeys and they are not good for much except breaking things, taking everything out of its place and notputting it back, and generally making my life miserable. Although I did just teach my son how to bring me a beer. He even knows ghe difference in the types by label.

Someone will probably call CPS for this pic.

I never thought of drilling all the way through the boxed section of the frame by the crossmember. Interesting idea.

downhill
01-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Excellent!! LOL :elkgrin:

Yeah, the box is kind of thin but the proximity of the crossmember supports it. Have a look.

soonenough
01-25-2012, 03:56 AM
Another option would be to use a nutsert / rivnut on those 2 front holes that you can't reach. You'd have to buy the installation tool, or find a local shop that has one. I don't know if you can buy Gr8 rivnuts, but any bolt would be better than nothing.

upcountry
01-30-2012, 03:29 AM
As previously stated in the thread, purchased an ARB Bullbar Bumper and a winch. There has been some debate on the quality of these winches, but it seems to be well built. My cousin who has a 91 Single Cab Toyota rock crawler has been through a few winches, and has recently put one of these to the test. He has good things to say about it so far - for those critics out there who love to spend $$$$$, yes it does work and has not failed him yet - even after some substantial pulls.

This past weekend I added:

1) ARB Bullbar - old style - no foglights.
2)Upgrade from OME 885's to OME 886's and some fresh Nitrochargers.
3)Re-used the half inch top spacer from Toytec on top of the new Nitrochargers/886's.
4)Added some IPF 100Watt Halogen lamps.
5)Sway bar relocate kit from Toytec.
6)Replaced rear OME Nitrochargers with some Billstein 5100's (RCD version #B110) to accomodate longer travel and more lift from All-Pro Expedition Leaf Packs.

Some pics of the install:

Pics continued below

upcountry
01-30-2012, 03:33 AM
Ended up going with a set of Billstein 5100's - #B110 from the RCD kit. I used this number due to the extended lift of the All-Pro Expo Leaf Packs.

upcountry
01-30-2012, 03:43 AM
Adding the bumper/winch to the fit kit after OME 886 strut install:

upcountry
01-30-2012, 03:52 AM
Hanging the winch/bullbar on the fit kit.

I was able to pick up the winch/bullbar and hang it in place on top of the fit kit. It is pretty heavy, but not impossible since the fit kit sticks out and it just naturally works. After I hung it on the fit kit I was able to fine tune the gap between the bumper and the fenders.

upcountry
01-30-2012, 03:57 AM
Wired in turn signals, parking lights, IPF lights. Still need to wire in winch solenoid in engine bay and wire momentary toggle in cab.

Wiring with a 4 year old helper is just kind of slow. But he had good humor.

upcountry
01-30-2012, 04:01 AM
Next up:

1)Wire winch solenoid and in cab momentary toggle.

2) Install snorkel.

3) Pick up new rear tube bumper/swing gate.

4) Install rear camp/reverse lights.

TangoBlue
01-30-2012, 04:40 AM
Whew! That was a lot of work - looks good.

Just a couple things which may already be resolved. I noticed your winch clutch handle was facing the rear of the bumper which when mounted on the truck will make it difficult to access. The housing looks like it can be removed so that you can adjust, or clock, the handle so you can have access to it through the access hole on the ARB bumper. Also, your bumper to fascia clearance is really tight. I've noticed that your frame and bumper will flex, hitting the fascia scraping the paint on both bumper and fascia, leading to rust. You may choose to widen the gap a little more to decrease the chances of that happening.

upcountry
01-30-2012, 05:00 AM
Whew! That was a lot of work - looks good.

Just a couple things which may already be resolved. I noticed your winch clutch handle was facing the rear of the bumper which when mounted on the truck will make it difficult to access. The housing looks like it can be removed so that you can adjust, or clock, the handle so you can have access to it through the access hole on the ARB bumper. Also, your bumper to fascia clearance is really tight. I've noticed that your frame and bumper will flex, hitting the fascia scraping the paint on both bumper and fascia, leading to rust. You may choose to widen the gap a little more to decrease the chances of that happening.

Thanks for the feedback and real experience wisdom. I have never had a setup like this, so I am on a learning curve. At least the install went well. I do wish I had help lifting the bumper. That fricking thing was heavy.

Regarding the gap, how much do you recommend? I followed the directions from ARB, and used my digital calipers to measure the gap, and shoved some wood shims I had from my home remodel in the crack to hold it open, then yanked them. Maybe I should pull the majority of the bolts and go with more gap?

Now the winch clutch lever is a total PITA. The housing is in two parts on the side of the clutch. To rotate the cap the whole clutch assembly needs to come off. I am going to take a closer look at it this spring, but for now I can reach it through the Hi-Lift hole on the drivers side (barely - some Vaseline would help - kind of like a trip to the doctor). I need to explore this some more. I am sure it can be done, but I got sick of screwing with it, as long as I can reach the handle for now.........but that may suck with the nose buried in the mud.

Thanks for the feedback, points worthy of more consideration.

upcountry
01-30-2012, 05:11 AM
Just went out and measured the gap with digital caliper: 12.27 MM

TangoBlue
01-30-2012, 05:38 AM
About a 1/2 to 1 inch clearance is good. You're close. Mine was too tight at the wings and rubbed at the fender. I've since reinforced my frame horns, removing the bumper, and set it at about an inch.

The winch is a pain... and worse still all by your lonesome. You'll have to loosen the allen bolts, clock it, and re-tighten.

keezer37
01-30-2012, 01:47 PM
If you or a neighbor has a set of saw horses, it works wells to set the bumper on them and raise the truck up to the bumper with a hydraulic jack under the front cross member. Then you can sit and fiddle with it all day if you want with little effort on your part.

upcountry
02-26-2012, 10:00 PM

upcountry
02-26-2012, 10:09 PM

upcountry
02-26-2012, 10:21 PM

cruiseroutfit
02-27-2012, 02:02 AM
:cool:

TangoBlue
02-27-2012, 02:08 AM
Your truck wreaks of awesomeness!

java
02-27-2012, 11:14 PM
looking good Dave! i still havent run into you out and about yet....

soonenough
02-28-2012, 02:03 AM
Wow, that looks awesome! What brand of camper shell do you have?

upcountry
02-28-2012, 04:39 AM
Wow, that looks awesome! What brand of camper shell do you have?

Top is a LEER knockoff made by a company called VISTA.

Top has insulated headliner and win-doors for side access.

You can tell the quality is one step below LEER, but it was about $1000 cheaper and works well and is water tight!

upcountry
02-28-2012, 04:42 AM
looking good Dave! i still havent run into you out and about yet....

Yeah, I have the home remodel blues (= no free time). I bet we have crossed paths on Bothell Way or 145th.

I want to see that trailer still..

upcountry
02-28-2012, 04:44 AM
Next up:

Ham Radio and Antennea install

Camp light on rear swing gate

java
02-28-2012, 05:14 AM
Yeah, I have the home remodel blues (= no free time). I bet we have crossed paths on Bothell Way or 145th.

I want to see that trailer still..

Oh I know all about that! Built my house a year and a half ago from a bare lot. The projects never end!
I want to see yours still too! We should have a beer sometime.
Have you gotten your Ham license yet? I need to get mine. Just put my radio in last week.

bat
02-28-2012, 04:07 PM
In the picture of the ARB mounts I do not see the crush can section on the mounts am I getting old.

upcountry
02-28-2012, 04:40 PM
In the picture of the ARB mounts I do not see the crush can section on the mounts am I getting old.

Yeah, there were no "crush cans" persay, rather they used the "fit kit" which includes a fabricated metal bracket that bolts between the frame horns and the bumper. Supposedly, the "fit kit" performs similarly to the crush cans.

The fit kit is shown bolted to the frame (it bolts to the same studs that the crush cans bolt to) in the pic below:

upcountry
02-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Oh I know all about that! Built my house a year and a half ago from a bare lot. The projects never end!
I want to see yours still too! We should have a beer sometime.
Have you gotten your Ham license yet? I need to get mine. Just put my radio in last week.

I'm around this weekend and next. I'll text you. I need advice on a paint problem I have created. Let me say painting in a hurry in bad weather is not a good idea. I have garage envy. I think not letting me build a garage is my wife's way of keeping the projects to a minimum!

java
02-28-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm around this weekend and next. I'll text you. I need advice on a paint problem I have created. Let me say painting in a hurry in bad weather is not a good idea. I have garage envy. I think not letting me build a garage is my wife's way of keeping the projects to a minimum!

sounds good. i shoud be around

upcountry
03-05-2012, 09:21 PM
After installing the Light Racing UCA over a year ago, I have been curious about how I would "lube" the ball joint given there is no access.

If any of you have these, you notice that the bottom of the boot (where it connects to the spindle) is not 100% tight around the ball stud. I have had some (slight) concern about crud getting in there in muddy conditions. I have been looking for a way to pump chassis grease up into the joint keeping the boot full of fresh grease and preventing crud from filling the void in the boot.

Not a very good pic, will take one when it stops pouring rain. But, you can see the boot and get the idea. The boot is sealed on the top side at the ball, and is fairly tight at the bottom around the stud, but there is some play in the boot where a gap could allow crap to get up inside the boot.

To lube it I ended up getting one of these:

http://www.supplybuy.com/products/570-05-037-plews-grease-gun-accessories-05-grease-injector-needle

Last weekend when I was changing the oil and lubing the drive shaft UV joints I used the needle to inject grease up inside the boot - I was able to carefully shove the needle under the boot from the front and then from the back and was able to get a few pumps of grease up in each joint's boot. Hopefully this will help keep fresh grease in there.

The needle is like a horse-injection needle, and fits under the boot - I did not penetrate the rubber on the boot, I was able to carefully slip it up under the bottom on the boot where there is a small opening at the stud.

I am not sure why these boots are not wire-tied like the factory OEM boots.

upcountry
03-06-2012, 12:58 AM
Since I added other items and summer is here. Time for a trip to Oregon coast.

upcountry
03-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Following suggestion of expo member Java went to ABC Communications and had a chat with the old man. Here is wjat he hooked me up with.....$35 out the door.

upcountry
03-06-2012, 01:13 AM
We had a classic seattle storm today. Heavy downpour with 40 mph winds and mixed snow. Was out running errands aNd driving in the rain. After getting home when it got sunny I poped the air filter assembly to see if any water had made it in......

DRY!

upcountry
03-06-2012, 01:28 AM
I have seen some questions floating around om this forum about how well two forward facing car seats fit in the second gen double cab.

Here's a couple pics.

Its tight but works fine.

I'm 6'3" so I keep the seat almost all the way back making it tight for my 2 year old daughter.

upcountry
03-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Just got back from the Zion of 4x4 parts......ARB warehouse in Renton, WA.

Look what I picked up at will-call(thanks Kurt/Cruiser Outfitters):

:90237

Had a good chat with one of the staff about front and rear driveline vibes in second gen tacos.

NM-Frontier
03-08-2012, 11:29 PM
It must be fun to "just cruise down to ARB" and pick up a fridge! Great build.:sombrero:

TangoBlue
03-09-2012, 02:41 AM
Just got back from the Zion of 4x4 parts......ARB warehouse in Renton, WA.

Look what I picked up at will-call(thanks Kurt/Cruiser Outfitters):

:90237

I'll be interested in your mounting solution - I'm sure it will be novel if any of your previous work is an indication!

wilson
03-09-2012, 03:10 AM
well what did they say about the driveline vibes?!

upcountry
03-09-2012, 02:53 PM
It must be fun to "just cruise down to ARB" and pick up a fridge! Great build.:sombrero:

Yeah, one of the benefits of living in Seattle.

Although, I would trade the rain anyday for some nice New Mexico sun! I am hoping to make it to New Mexico this fall.

upcountry
03-09-2012, 02:56 PM
I'll be interested in your mounting solution - I'm sure it will be novel if any of your previous work is an indication!

Thanks! Too bad I am not really that creative and have relied on the craftiness of others on this forum and desing engineering of outfits like ARB, AllPro, and Badland Bumpers! They desing it, I just bolt it on. I have not ventured too far off the beaten path.

Now you on the other hand have swirved fairly far off the beaten path with the SAC!

upcountry
03-09-2012, 03:10 PM
well what did they say about the driveline vibes?!

The guy I was talking to said they recently had some issues with driveline vibes (rear) on a 2012 Tacoma, after installing OME 885s and Dakar Packs for a dealership, their was a bad vibe from the rear driveline (what many of us have been complaining about and working to resolve). He said Toyota put a whole new driveline on the truck, still had a vibe.

I mentioned the thread on Tacoma World ( http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/153050-just-fixed-driveline-vibration-free.html ) and the concept of rotating the carrier bearing, he said he would look at that thread. He said they are looking in to another way to drop the carrier bearing.

I also brought up the front driveline vibe that has been discussed extensively on Tacoma World ( see post #68 @ http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/152173-official-2nd-gen-4x4-front-differential-bearing-vibration-thread-4.html ). He was unaware if the ARB assembly would fix the problem. Since mine is getting worse, I will be contacting East Coast Gear Supply to see what the status is on the supposed "fix".

upcountry
03-11-2012, 07:42 PM

NM-Frontier
03-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Yeah, one of the benefits of living in Seattle.

Although, I would trade the rain anyday for some nice New Mexico sun! I am hoping to make it to New Mexico this fall.

Yea I wouldn't trade my sunshine for anything!

aikane
03-12-2012, 12:53 AM
Wow, stuffing the rear bumper on that uphill. How do you like the dimensions of the 2nd gen Tacos? I have a '09 dbl. cab as well, while there's a lot of interior space, I feel the overall dimensions hinder the trucks off road abilities. I am seriously considering replacing it with a 1st gen dbl cab.

upcountry
03-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Wow, stuffing the rear bumper on that uphill. How do you like the dimensions of the 2nd gen Tacos? I have a '09 dbl. cab as well, while there's a lot of interior space, I feel the overall dimensions hinder the trucks off road abilities. I am seriously considering replacing it with a 1st gen dbl cab.

Yep. I was surprised. That hill is down the street from my house and I wanted to see what the clearance was after bumper install. Front is good, back is okay but as you can see........

Hill is a little steeper than it looks but I agree witb your statement.

java
03-12-2012, 01:20 AM
That's exactly why you replaced the stock one with a beefy steel one. Drag it on whatever! IMO a bit of extra interior room is sometimes worth the trade off.

Flagster
05-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Great thread...
I am often tempted to sell my tacoma and go retro (think syncro westy) but I know the cool factor might wear off too soon...

upcountry
06-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Yes, that is where I came from - a Syncro Weekender. I just got sick of the lack of power and the electrical gremlins. But, I LOVED the space!!!!

Clutch
06-24-2012, 01:16 AM
Great thread...
I am often tempted to sell my tacoma and go retro (think syncro westy) but I know the cool factor might wear off too soon...

It does...while not a Syncro...we do a have a Westy...yes it is charming....charm only goes so far.

It rarely gets driven...maybe once a month for a quick jaunt around town.

Sure does make my Tacoma fell like a powerhouse/caddy when I climb back behind the wheel.

Willman
06-24-2012, 01:37 AM
Nice Taco!

Those rims are pretty nice. How is the Teflon holding up?

upcountry
06-24-2012, 01:44 AM
Nice Taco!

Those rims are pretty nice. How is the Teflon holding up?

Teflon is holding up very well aside from one area where I happened to get some oversparay paint on it and cant get it off, the teflon is fine, but there is a small blotch of black paint.

My big complaint is the center caps were complete crap. I went through three different sets and finally ditched them.

17" American Racing Mojave Teflons

upcountry
07-08-2012, 09:12 PM
New Rigid LED floods to replace the floods lost with stock bumper replacememt ARB Bullbar install.

Will wire directly to old stock fog wire plugs. These LEDs only have 1. Amp of draw.

YotaPilot
07-10-2012, 02:08 PM

I am loving this bumper design. Do you have a long term review of it?
I really like the way the fuel can holder is designed. I am thinking of getting this same design for my 2001 Taco and using the can holder for a water can with bottom spigot for quick and easy access the water for drinking, cooking, or cleaning up at camp sights.
This can looks like it would work perfect for that.
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2158

offthebeatenpath
07-11-2012, 02:34 AM

Funny to read that...... I'm thinking just the opposite. We have an 03 DC, and I'm thinking I'd like the long bed option on the 2nd gen. On top of that, in my opinion the 3.4 is a weaksauce engine. The 4.0 has much better numbers. I've heard people mention the idea of a supercharger, but I'm not sure I want to dump $3k+ into a 120k mile engine. We'll see. I don't think I'd switch if I was going to stay with the short bed, but my truck has to serve dual purpose for work, so a 5.5' bed is just too short sometimes.

Upcountry, your truck looks bomber. I really like what you've done- It seems like it's suiting your family well. Funny thing- I think we have the same two carseats in the back of our Tacoma for our two girls. Glad to see you're making the effort to get everybody out- I know it's tough, but I for one am glad we're starting early. Keep it up!

upcountry
07-11-2012, 02:47 PM
I am loving this bumper design. Do you have a long term review of it?
I really like the way the fuel can holder is designed. I am thinking of getting this same design for my 2001 Taco and using the can holder for a water can with bottom spigot for quick and easy access the water for drinking, cooking, or cleaning up at camp sights.
This can looks like it would work perfect for that.
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2158

So far I like the bumper - no major complaints. But,as with most things I have some basic complaints:

1) Poor powder coat, some areas did not get proper treatment.

2) The spindle bearing cap would not stay fixed to the bumper and I had to use some sealant to hold it on place.

3) The latch/hasp has/had no safety pin (pic below) - I have since purchased a long stainless push button quick release centering pin from Fastenal and will be modifying the bumper adding sme tabs/tube for the pin for safety.

That can (http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2158) may work although I see two issues:

1)The spigot would be innacessible due to the way the tray that holds the can was designed - nothing 1" hole saw in the right location couldnt fix !!

2) The way the can holder is designed has a clamp on the top that compresses down on the can handle and can only be used with a different style can that has the "double rail" handle setup. It is meant for this style can:

I picked up 4 of these from www.deutscheoptik.com

upcountry
07-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Another bumper pic:

upcountry
07-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Other pics:

upcountry
07-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Funny to read that...... I'm thinking just the opposite. We have an 03 DC, and I'm thinking I'd like the long bed option on the 2nd gen. On top of that, in my opinion the 3.4 is a weaksauce engine. The 4.0 has much better numbers. I've heard people mention the idea of a supercharger, but I'm not sure I want to dump $3k+ into a 120k mile engine. We'll see. I don't think I'd switch if I was going to stay with the short bed, but my truck has to serve dual purpose for work, so a 5.5' bed is just too short sometimes.

Upcountry, your truck looks bomber. I really like what you've done- It seems like it's suiting your family well. Funny thing- I think we have the same two carseats in the back of our Tacoma for our two girls. Glad to see you're making the effort to get everybody out- I know it's tough, but I for one am glad we're starting early. Keep it up!

The interior space is nice, but there is someting about the longer wheelbase............

The 4.0 is a really well designed motor, very responsive. Even with the bigger tires, all the weight (bumper, etc..) it still keeps up with traffic, pulls mountain passes at 60+ in 6th gear, and cruises at 80 on the freeway. I also really like the 6 speed design. Gear ratios seem set to allow you stay in the power band at all speeds. I have heard complaints about the five speed auto though, and some have stated that if you run 33"s you need to re-gear to make use of 5th gear or the tranny never really gets there making fuel economy suck

Regarding the supercharger, you might send a PM to forum member Oldsven - he was recently commenting on his Supercharged 3.4 4runner. Also, I have read comments from forum member RMP&O - he used to have a supercharged Tacoma and drove it to Panama and back - he had some comments about maintenance, mileage, etc.... I would ask around if your considering it.

In all honesty I wish I was able to get out more, another member here, Java, (4Runner) who lives down the road from me makes me look pathetic in that he seems to get out all the time! I have had a bad summer, my wife got a big promotion at work, I just started grad school, finishing a home remodel, etc.....all is lost to the time vacuum.

upcountry
07-21-2012, 04:47 AM
Connected the Rigid Industries LED lights to the factory fog wiring harness and mounted the lights under the bumper.

My only concern is that the lights seem vulnerable in this position. I used and existing hole in the ARB bumper fit kit so it was a quick no drill operartion. Just some weather proof shrunk wrapped crimp connectors and some wire ties.

upcountry
07-21-2012, 05:00 AM
I did not like having the winch cable hooked to the frame hooks and I didnt like the hook setup - I would prefer to use a d-ring shackle. I had seen some of the setups the synthetic line has ( http://www.masterpull.com/item/00015-07/ ) and wanted to re-create that function (not having a hook dangling off the end) so I ditched the hook and messed with the winch cable loop. Took off the cable and slid a daystar isolator, a large grade 8 washer, and large rubber grommit down the cable. Seems like a tight clean fit. Downside is it is on the end of the cable when in use, not really a big deal to me.

I am also thinking about adding a thimble ( http://www.masterpull.com/Off-Road/Hardware/Thimbles/ )

washington taco
07-21-2012, 07:26 AM
See you at the WA Rally?

upcountry
07-21-2012, 02:34 PM
See you at the WA Rally?

Be there Thursday PM with a trailer of split seasoned maple firewood.

upcountry
07-24-2012, 04:35 AM
Wired to the SPOD on circuit #3.

I wanted to add some hidden lights tucked up under the bumper.

Used rigid industries light clamps and some 50 Watt halogen lamps with aluminum housing.

TACO721
07-28-2012, 12:24 PM
just kinda went over your build thread. but looks really good man! got about the same truck. just auto and in silver. and no real mods yet. da** money. lol

upcountry
07-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Spent the weekend at the Washington Overland Event in Plain, WA. Great event and enjoyed meeting many of the members of this forum. We got out on some mild trails with lots of pinstripping and dusting. Curious how much dirt the snorkel pulled in....i'll check it later this week. Broke my HAM antennae on a branch.

Nitro Gears/Just Differentials may have convinced me to regear and go to a 34" tire. There were lots of great vendors at the event, some good product presentations, and lots of giveaways/raffles!

Greenmonkey
07-31-2012, 06:04 AM
You have a really nice looking truck and was nice getting to talk with you at the rally. Hope to see u next year. And btw, thanks for the post on my thread.

thinkingman
10-23-2012, 08:04 PM
sent you a pm.

CYi5
10-27-2012, 02:49 AM
Forgot how much I liked your rig! How have your fog lights fared being so low? My ARB also is missing fog light holes and a low mount is really my only option to avoid messing up my powdercoat.

upcountry
10-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Forgot how much I liked your rig! How have your fog lights fared being so low? My ARB also is missing fog light holes and a low mount is really my only option to avoid messing up my powdercoat.

Lights have been okay, although I will admit I have not been on the road much lately and hacvent really had the opportunity to try to break them off.

The LEDs are bright, far brighter than the stock headlights. The color of the light is way better, too.

upcountry
10-29-2012, 10:49 PM
sent you a pm.

Just got the PM, have not been on the forum for a few weeks. I'll call soon..........

OldSven
10-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Saw you cruising through Bellevue I beleive the other day, new I had seen that rig somewhere.

upcountry
10-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Yeah, I work in downtown Bellevue. Truck barely fits in the garage. I see your in Bellevue as well......

There's a well equipped FJ Cruiser parked over by the Bravern on most days....lots of mud on it too....wonder if they're on the forum?

Saw you cruising through Bellevue I beleive the other day, new I had seen that rig somewhere.

yalex
08-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Awesome truck. Question about your SPOD setup though-
Did you have to relocate your clutch reservoir to make room for the fuse panel? On my '13 6spd the reservoir is right where the SPOD source mounts and as far as i know, its the same setup for all 6spd 2nd gen Tacomas. I just cant find yours in the pictures you have posted. :(

pwr2lbs
08-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Haha, I thought I have seen this truck as well. I work on the other side of the 405 at Barrier Porsche. I drive a green first gen, with TJM front bumper. I have been debating between replacing mine with a second gen crew cab to better fit my new family, your truck makes a solid case for picking the 2nd gen! Beautiful truck

washington taco
08-19-2013, 02:44 AM
I think this truck has been sold.

upcountry
09-26-2013, 11:48 PM
YEP. Rub it in! Had to choose, toys or grad school. Hopefully when done with grad school employment options will lead to lots more toys!!!

Regarding the SPOD and clutch reservior, nope, didnt have to move it, in fact it bolted perfectly into two exisitng threaded holes in the fender wall at the top, I just had to buy two stainless bolts and two nylon spacers to isolate/space it back far enough. the SPOD was a very easy install.

And the other comment about barrier porchse, I had the tint done at Accutint.

Do I miss the truck, hell yes. But I have my eyes on a 200 LC.

For now, i'll have to settle with the 2011 Subaru Forester!!!