Toyotec coilovers

bat

Explorer
I was wondering how you guy's feel about your toyotec coilover for an 05+ Tacoma. I have set of Danahoes in the front and for my driving they are just to harsh and thinking of switching to the Toyotec ultimate kit. I have been talking with Icon and they said they could re-valve to be softer for my driving style. So my question is people with the Toyotec kit are you happy with the ride and quality of the shock.

zidaro

Explorer
I know some guys with the Toytecs and they like them, no issues. if that helps, no personal experiences.

NothingClever

Explorer
Happy with Toytec on my '02 Taco. I don't know if they're harsh or not since whenever the terrain gets tough, I slow down a lot to keep the wear on my camper to a minimum. However, I have run pretty fast (50-70mph) on washboard roads (with the camper) and the Toytec shocks were super/supple. You might want to call an independent installer who is familiar with both products to get a more objective opinion.

EXP-T100

Adventurer
What kind of weight if any is on the front of you Taco (bumper / winch)? I know a guy that has them on his gen1 d-cab with just the factory bumper and he said its a nice ride. Have you looked at these ? i am running them (5100 / Eibach 620) on my 04 d-cab (same coil for gen 1 and 2) and the ride nicer than with stock suspension.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Toytec Ultimate Kit...

Bat,

I went with the Toytec Ultimate for my 2011 Tundra. I went with this setup over the OME kit due to better corrosion resistance (KS Winter salt is killer). Kit was complete and the install was very straight forward. The ride is GREAT compared to stock. I would give Ben a call at Toytec, he will answer any and all questions that you might have.

BEFORE:

IMG_0880.jpg

AFTER:

300126523_photobucket_6012_.jpg

BTW, what are you going to do while the Donahoes are sent back to be re-valved? Do you have another set to use in the interim? Curious, that's all...

Hope this helps.

Regards,

BWJ

bat

Explorer
The Donahoe's work great for go fast stuff but my last trip to Monache Meadows on the jeep trail I did not like them. If I do send the shocks to Icon I will need to find something to throw on my truck to drive to work and back,they said it could take a week or so before I would get them back.

zidaro

Explorer
btw- the Hoes should be a much better coilover than anything toytec sells. just have them valved for you.

Tim A

Adventurer
Toytec

I had the Toytec coilovers on my previous truck. FWIW I was told that the shock is a Bilstein and the spring an Eibach.

I thought they were rough but I didn't have a winch or steel bumper up front...that would no doubt soften the ride.

From what I understand, the higher you lift the front of the vehicle, the more pre-load is on the spring which results in a stiffer ride.

Petrolburner

Explorer
I would think you would be much happier with an Icon shock that has been valved for you and your application compared to the Toytec kit. I doubt the Toytec kit is much different than the Donahoes. I'm uneducated though. I went with the Bilstein 5100 and have been very happy. If you're not going to use the adjustable preload, why pay the big bucks for it?

NothingClever

Explorer
True statements/opinions....Toytec sells a kit they put together from other manufacturers' components (Bilstein and Eibach) and I would think the Donahoes would be a higher caliber part given their tunability/design, machining tolerances and materials. The Toytecs can only be tuned for pre-load but I went with them because they did everything I needed.

Last edited:

cruiserfred

Observer
i put the toytec on my 08 FJ when i started my lifting process i have enjoyed the ability of lifting in the stages that i built my rig , i,m sure you get what you pay for but the Toy tec coilovers on the front and 5125 on the back have worked fine for me but i,m more to yhe heavier side
Fred

Gerdo

Observer
The ToyTec Coilovers are typically built on a Bilstein 5100. I built mine on Bilstein 2450 shocks. Some feel that the 2450 (HDs) are too stiff. I like the ride.
If you don't have extra weight up front you can order a lighter spring rate coil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles