Going up............Re-suspending the 3rd gen 4Runner for 2012

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
It was brought to my attention by my brother the self proclaimed suspension expert that my truck might need just a little more lift. I had already planned on doing an overhaul of ball joint's steering components, and bushings in 2012 mainly because the 4Runner had a fresh motor and should keep pushing me along the terra firma. The front and rear are to be addressed for basin PM need's and if all done at once the likelihood of.....you get the idea.

I'm running the Sonoran Steel lift (there weren't any numerical options when I bought mine in 2005) FRONT: are updated adj. Bilstein 5100's with Tundra 4x4 coils and a 3/8" top out spacer, and limit straps (the coils and spindles rub a bit). REAR: FZJ80 front coils (no idea which is left or right) untrimmed overload cone, and ProCrap 9000's with modified upper shock mount pockets to accept normal shocks and not the PIA stud mounts.

Planning... FRONT: Icon coil overs, Camburg UCA's (greater tire to UCA clearance, noise, and longer BJ life) set at 2.5" and run a 3/4"- 1" top out spacer. REAR: non resivour type Icons or Bilstein 5100's or something similar. The rear coils are nice and soft and broken in so I'm not sure that I'm going to change them at this time.

Thoughts

Aaron

maclean216

Observer
Not sure how well the top out spacer on top of a Icon coilover is going to treat you. I would think it would ride horribly. If you really want the extra lift you could go up a notch or two on your 5100s and see how that works out. (I am not going to mention CV issues as I am sure you are aware of this. I am not sure if you have man hubs or not)

I feel that although the land cruiser springs and 5100 rear shocks flex great they are way to soft when load carrying. OME 861s (yes 861 not 891) and Icon shock may be better in a expedition setting. Thinking heavy rear load here.

Just FYI I am sitting on SS 1.51 lift with 5100s, camburg UCAs, and no sway bars.

Last edited:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Not sure how well the top out spacer on top of a Icon coilover is going to treat you. I would think it would ride horribly. If you really want the extra lift you could go up a notch or two on your 5100s and see how that works out. (I am not going to mention CV issues as I am sure you are aware of this. I am not sure if you have man hubs or not)

I feel that although the land cruiser springs and 5100 rear shocks flex great they are way to soft when load carrying. OME 861s (yes 861 not 891) and Icon shock may be better in a expedition setting. Thinking heavy rear load here.

Just FYI I am sitting on SS 1.51 lift with 5100s, camburg UCAs, and no sway bars.

I'm not sure how it will ride either but my though was since the coil over can adjust up to 3" of lift I'd run them shorter and fill in some space on top. In theory this keep the spring under less compression (this is in theory of course). I know the Icons will ride better than the 5100's for certain with better adjust ability but perhaps with more maintenance sot long term (ICON rebuilds). I think the 5100's are set 2nd notch

PB180098.jpg

PB180097.jpg

PB180096.jpg

I could run them up to see what the height adjust ability will be like. My hope was to level the truck, I know some like the raked look but I'm not fond of it and like a level rig.

For the rear, after a trip this past weekend using my roof box the rear sagged about 3/4"-1" with light gear (clothes, clothes, and a dog) enough so that I noticed the headlight climb a bit on the road. I would be up for a heavier spring and better shock, I feel the ride now with no rear shocks is fine (this was to test if the valving was garbage or not) without shocks. The shock load I get hitting holes or dips is likely from the shocks and not the springs, the valving doesn't cycle fast enough to soften the blow and thus shocks the vehicle.

Thoughts?

Side note: the rear is lifted 3-3.5 the front is 2-2.45 at best with a 3/8" spacer. If the ride wouldn't suffer I could just install a toytec 1/2" spacer and leave the spring setting on the Bilstein alone.

I do have a diff drop spacer, manual hubs, and adjustable limit straps.

upcountry

Explorer

I love it..."MAN HUBS".....

since I have girl hubs and can't get man hubs I'm jealous..... no one makes man hubs for the second gen taco.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I love it..."MAN HUBS".....

since I have girl hubs and can't get man hubs I'm jealous..... no one makes man hubs for the second gen taco.

I tried to find Man hubs for the 2nd gen too, I got as close as a couple emails with AVM and that was it. I don't think the Hilux even has them so no swap over option without doing a SAS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles