Tacoma Pricing... USA vs Canada

Morticon

Adventurer
So just for fun while bored at work i did some pricing on tacoms, via toyota.ca and toyota.com

Just some thing you should know.
We cant get Reg Cabs up here. who knows why.

And before you say the canadian dollar isnt worth as much its close enough it shouldnt matter...

heres what I came up with.. (these are taxes in no financing)

Access Cab 4cyl 4x4 5 Speed is $32,000 Canadain
Same vehicle in the states... $24,600 American!!!!

$7,400 Difference!! Really? I couldnt believe it!

For a Reg Cab 4 Cyl 4x4 5 Speed in the States its $23,000 ..

I always thought the Reg cab would be a lot cheaper but for $1,600... why not get the access cab for the extra amoutn of room and ease of use it gives you? anyway...

In America you can buy a Access Cab TRD with no extra options for $30,275 American
That's Almost $2000 cheaper then the 4cyl 4wd 5speed in Canada!

In Canada a Access Cab TRD with no extra Options is $37,979, once again thats $7,704 Dollars Difference! Wow... just wow...:Wow1:

Rant over...

Last edited:

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Wow is right, my brother lives in BC and we often discuss the price differences, especially since the currencies are nearly on par.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Does any of this have to do with what Canada charges Toyota to import and sell the truck in Canada? Is there a heavier importation tax in Canada on vehicles. Could be a lot of factors as to why the higher prices in Canada. But yeah, that is a big difference.

You can find many examples like this. You know what a new Land Cruiser costs in Australia!? Or for example, people import things to the USA such as factory cable locking axles or 12HT diesels. Even a few JDM spec HJ61s in the states. The price on these things if people import is 2-5x what you can find them for yourself and import for yourself. Example; cable locking axles go for $8,000-10,000+ in used condition in N.America. I saw a set the other night in NZ for $2500. I also saw 3 JDM HJ61s for sale in NZ, price was $4k-10k. Here in the USA the same truck woudl sell for $15k-30k! Or for example you can buy a nice diesel 80 series Cruiser in Panama for about $10k. If you could even import that truck to the USA it would sell for $30k fast.

Supply and demand.....

Morticon

Adventurer
Yeah absolutelt those priced get jacked up because of the the huge demand and lack of supply... but its not that there is less suply in canada then the states... im sure its rather proportionate to the population... i can understand them being made in the states adn tariffs being placed on the vehicles coming into canada... but i bet if you look at vehicles made in canada and shipped to the states for sale... there is still a price difference of obscene amounts

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
NZ has been flooded with Jap imports for over 20 years. Cars there are very cheap.

true enough and a $2500 boat ride should not double or triple the price tag. I am all for people making some money on importing and their efforts. It just looks like a lot of them (when you are in the know) are trying to get rich doing it.

There is a Costa Rican FJ45 pick-up on Ebay right now, that has been imported to SoCal. The guy wants over 30 friggin' grand for it....Latin stickers and all! I can promise you could buy the same truck in Costa Rica for tops $10k.

nucktaco

Adventurer
a friend of my parents bought an 09 highlander from a dealer in spokane, wa and it was a little over 10 grand cheaper than buying it in kelowna bc. plus the dealer included delivery of the truck to the border. pretty crazy if you ask me. i can only imagine what i could have saved on my truck if i had shopped across the line. sticker price was 42,000 for my DCLB TRD Sport back in dec 07. :Wow1:

Morticon

Adventurer
whats the deal with warranties? are they transferable from the usa to canada for toyota? ive heard rumours some car companies allow it... some dont.. do not know how much truth there is to that though.

rickashay

Explorer
The majority of the price difference comes from the massive amount of buying power that a nation containing 310 million people (the US) has when compared to a nation containing a mere 34 million people (Canada). It's exactly the same principle as Wal-Mart being able to buy goods from a wholesaler for WAY less than your "mom and pap" store downtown due to the large volume and purchasing power that they possess.

Either way, I have imported several vehicles from the US, to take advantage of their purchasing power.... even when the CAD was substantially lower than the USD.

freeze

Adventurer
^ Exactly...

Think... the State of California as the entire population of Canada.

Also add in importation and transportation.

Currency exchange as well... not going to get at market rates. There's going to be a spread even if we're on par or stronger.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
We get lots of Canadians shopping Chevy trucks from us. Unless they're registering in the US, we're not allowed to sell them. Also, price differences have to do with distribution. Is there a Toyota distributor in Canada? In the SE 5 states there is a privately owned Toyota distributor that gets about $1K per car before the dealer gets it. So you can't get the same deal on a Toyota in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina & South Carolina that you can in the other 45 states. This same organization also won the rights to distribute GMC in France in the early 90's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles