Sudden over steer issue on '99 Tacoma

Last year @ 86k miles, I put OM Emu "stock light" suspension kit on my stock '99 Tacoma V-6 xtracab 4x4. (it has stock alloy 15x7 rims and stock sized 31x10.5 BFG At/KOs) Gained 2+ inches height/travel. Lovely riding little trail truck.

Last week I replaced the worn AT/KO's with new 31x10.5 KM2s, and had my very worn steering rack bushings replaced, and lowered dif 1" to help alleviate some minor strain & leakage seen on CV's, replaced the CV boots. New wheel alignment also.

Now the truck feels like it's about to fall over in turns. Heavy over-steer sensation in street turns. (not gone off road yet)

Tacoma's of this generation were known for inherent oversteer -- I remember reading professional reviews about this when I bought the truck new. But as the original owner of this truck, I've not felt it like this before. I suspect the new rack bushings restored my steering to twitchier like-new spec's, which is amplifying the sensation I'm getting in turns. I suspect also the much softer, broader tread on the KM2's are introducing some mush when turning on the street, which may contribute to the over-steer sensation.

The shop says my truck doesn't really need aftermarket UCA's with this modest lift. But some there have suggested UCA's such as Total Chaos might help restore alignment closer to stock spec's and alleviate this amplified over-steer issue. They told me my castor was not quite stock anymore. (or did they mean camber? Tops of tires have always seemed to lean outwards a bit for years)

The truck is not a daily driver-- offroad only.

Any input appreciated!

The 4x4 shop is working with me. Good people. I welcome other informed opinions here just to see what else I might consider. Many thanks....!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Can you post your caster & camber specs following your recent work and a fresh alignment? I'd be interested to compare to the numbers we shoot for following an OME setup.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Maybe you already have, but go check you tire pressure. Many installers like to leave the pressure way too high for a light little truck like the tacoma. Your new tires will show less grip on the road, amplyfying the difference3 in lateral hold between your front and rear axle. With no load, I wouldn't run more than 25psi in those rear tires, maybe 30 with whatever the stock springs handle. Otherwise, just make sure everything looks tight under there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles