Tundra - Moderate Spring Lift? Suggestions please!

upcountry

Explorer
So my brother has had a 2004 Tundra Quad Cab since it was new. He has upgraded tires to BFG AT 265/70/17s on stock alloy wheels. The truck is NOT a TRD version and is stock accept for a Leer top on the back and a few dents from slapping some snowbanks up at Mt. Bachelor.

He is interested in a slight lift to fit some 285/70/17s to add a little clearance (long Quad Cab body) but is on a budget (read: Has Kids) - I am interested in what suggestions any of you might have for this application.

Interested in around a 2" lift - front spring lift and rear AAL - prefer to avoid spacers on the front and would rather keep the spring weight on the stiff side. He does frequently tow a small camper trailer and makes lots of long trips with the truck full of surfboards, ski and snowboard gear camping gear, kids, beer, etc.... so I am recommending airbags with an AAL and some Billy 5100's for the rear, but I am not finding too many options for the front? I have seen a coilover setup from toytec, but that is too much $$$$, the adjustbale billy 5100 strut seems like a good buy, but would probably need a new spring to go with it since the current spring is sort of beat down.

I had initially thoguht OME (Wheelers offroad sells OME for 2007-current Tundra) but I could not find any OME setups for the older 2000-2006 Tundras.

Quck questions:

1) Does OME make a spring setup for the older Tundras?
2)If not, does anyone else make a longer coil spring appropriate for the Quad Cab Tundra?
3)Is it possible to use one of the spring sets that are used for other vehicles such as the Sequioa or V8 4Runner?
4)Can you get a NEW TRD spring for that year truck and is it any different than the non-TRD model in weight and response (is it a different metal?)?

If anyone has any experience with the 2000-2006 Tundra your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I'm running the Bilstien 5100s on the front of my DC. They now have around 50,000 miles on them and still seem like new. The Biltstiens have three setting notches: 1.5, 2 and 2.5 inch lift notches. To run 285s you will need to set the coils at the 2.5 " mark, the top notch on the shock body. One the plus side since your running a DC, the front wheelwells are larger than an Access Cab and you don't have to hammer the pinch welds to clear the 285s. The front mudflaps will have to go though. These Bilstiens are a great option at a reasonable price. Originally I installed Wheelers 1.5" AALs to the rear but they weren't up to the loads that i inflict on my Tundra for work. So I switched to a set of custom Deaver 11 spring pack springs with +600lbs capacity and 2" of lift once they settled. I've been very pleased with the Deavers though they are a pricer option than the Wheelers. For all the details check out my truck Fafhrds build thread in my signature. There is more detailed info there and some good comments and options posted up by other ExPo members. Hope that helps!

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
The easiest thing to do for the front would be to get on the classifieds of Tundrasolutions and buy some lightly used stock coilovers. The Sequoia should be the same coilover as the Tundra. Put those springs on a set of the Bilstein 5100 adjustables and you're done. You shouldn't even have to raise it the full 2-1/2" if you don't want to, but then you will have to modify the pinchweld. The DC's have a bit more room in their wheelwell the the ACs....you might get by with a 1-1/2" lift.
The AAL and airbag set for the rear would be fine.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
x3 Bilstien 5100s. Here are a few shots of my Tundra. I added the 5100s onthe front as a leveling kit. You can kind of tell by my bad pics that I gained 2" of lift when I set them at the 1 1/2" setting. They have been wonderful. The other pic was attempting to do a before and after of my truck. The one on the left has larger tires as well. They are 265x70x17 BFG ATs. Hope this gives you some ideas. Look on the Dude's build he added OME 885s to lift the front.

Attachments

• Tundra 036.jpg
    Tundra 036.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Tundra 042.jpg
    Tundra 042.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Tundra 044-02.jpg
    Tundra 044-02.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 42

upcountry

Explorer
Thanks guys....this is good feedback. Looks like Billy 5100s are the ticket. Although I am intruiged adout running an OME 885 set since I have an extra set of 885s right now. Ill look into that.

Also looking for any un-anticipated consequences from the lift. Did any of you need to:

1. Extend brake lines
2. Install a diff drop kit for front diff
3. Install a carrier bearing drop kit for rear driveline
4. Install new UCAs to address camber or caster and avoid UCA RUB with the larger wider tires?

upcountry

Explorer
Also, sorry for my lack of knowledge on the Tundra anatomy but where is the pinch weld that is referred to and can you grind it or torch it down to be less obtuse?

Derek24

Explorer

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
I did not cut the pinch weld on mine. I nipped into the corner of it at the bottom which made it relatively easy to fold over and out of the way with a BFH. Be sure to spray your modifications with some undercoating of some kind....

brandonhedberg

Adventurer
Ditto the 5100's. I'm running one notch from the top and have 2" front lift. I also have Alcan custom springs in the rear similar to Haggis' Deavers (+500 lbs and +2").

The Tundra takes to this amount of lift very well. I haven't had any CV boot issues and no funny vibrations.

I'm running 265/70/17 BFG AT's and all is well. 285's would be nice.

Good luck.

BTW, DownSouthMotorSports had a great price on the 5100's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles