PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone actual live out of their vehicle?

juicifer
12-06-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm curious to see how people are able to live out of their vehicles, especially if they have regular employment. I have no problem living out of my Tacoma for camping trips and such, but doing laundary, cooking, and staying clean make it much more difficult.

Can this be done without an RV sized vehicle? I'm sure a big FWC would work but those are a bit large to fit on a Tacoma. I'd like to stick with a Tacoma or FJ if possible. Obviously you'd have to take a bare minimum of necessities.

Is anyone doing this?

RMP&O
12-06-2011, 07:23 PM
I lived out of my 04 short bed Taco for 3 months while on the road in Latin America. It was fun but I doubt I will ever do it again. Crawling in that coffin every night just got old.

When I first moved to Wyoming I was following the ski bum dream. The first spring here I worked a few months and then bought an old 1960s Scooby Doo van. I then lived out of that for over 4 months while I held 2 jobs. The night job was pizza delivery and yes I delivered pizza out of my home! For me it didn't take long to get used to the life. I bathed via the river or lakes or out of the back of the van using a water jug and once in awhile I would bum a shower at a friends house. I cooked on my camp stove. The reward was I didn't have to work that winter and had a full ski pass at Teton Village.

What I disliked about it most was not having my own bathroom. Having your own toilet is something I really missed. On top of that not having a palce to just hide out in also was tough. I would buy a 1/2 case of beers and head over to one of a dozen friends houses. That got old after a month or so. I was young though and I had a purpose. I don't think I will ever do it again though, at least not here and not to the same extent or for the same goal.

Here is a picture of me and the van back in the summer of 1996....

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/207770_1012121881253_1771228273_19167_3122996_n.jp g

Very few people can do it for long periods of time. But if you can and have a reason for doing it, I say go for it.

The following summer, ie 1997 I spent over a month living out of my 83 Subaru. That was part of September and all of October and it was many cold nights. It was the same thing, saving money to be a ski bum. I will tell ya' though, living in the back of a Subaru on top of all your possesions was not much fun.

Cedar Jones
12-06-2011, 08:33 PM
I live in my tacoma! I have been since February. I don't have a regular job though. I do field biology so it helps to be mobile. When I'm not working I park near my friends' house so I can use their kitchen/shower, which makes it a lot easier.

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j465/yourcedarjones/CanyonsArches-1.jpg

NothingClever
12-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Can this be done without an RV sized vehicle? I'm sure a big FWC would work but those are a bit large to fit on a Tacoma. I'd like to stick with a Tacoma or FJ if possible. Obviously you'd have to take a bare minimum of necessities.

Is anyone doing this?

I'm not doing it because I have a wife and a child and we're in our 40s so we're soft and like our creature comforts. However, if it were just me, I'd be living in my truck and riding one of my motorcycles to work IN A NEW YORK SECOND. If it's just you or just you and a girlfriend, the 4WC Fleet would be palatial.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/NadaListoCeroSeis/June%202011%20Vacation/DSC01129.jpg

My wife and I are in the decision-making process for a year-long trip to Chile in a couple of years. If Mom decides we're going as a family, we'll be trading in the Taco and Fleet combo for a full-size truck and a Keystone so 1) the girls have an indoor toilet and shower and 2) we have some elbow room for homework and bad weather.

I see you're in Colorado. The two things that will require daily/weekly attention will be frozen pipes and propane resupply in the winter. Other than that, you can empty the Thetford once a week when you break camp to refill on propane.

keezer37
12-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Cold showering with a bucket sucks. You don't get used to it. If you have a hangover, it really sucks.

RMP&O
12-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Cold showering with a bucket sucks. You don't get used to it. If you have a hangover, it really sucks.

LOL...true enough. Unless of course you are in the tropics. ;)

Solar showers are cheap and get pretty hot if left out in the sun.

haven
12-06-2011, 11:41 PM
"I'm curious to see how people are able to live out of their vehicles"

A lot depends on how many of the necessities you can take care of outside the vehicle. If you're showering at the gym, doing laundry at a friend's house and eating out, then you're just using the vehicle to sleep in and to drive around. In college, I lived like this in my BMW 2002 for a couple of months. (Remember to do your laundry before you invite someone out on a date.)

You don't need much more if you are willing to rough it. I met a fellow 20 years ago who had sold everything, bought a Ford Ranger with bed topper, stopped at WalMart to buy a couple of camp chairs, a white gas stove, a cooler, and a sleeping bag, and hit the road. He was living in Forest Service campgrounds, and spent his evenings interviewing fellow campers about the meaning of life.

baja dan
12-07-2011, 01:36 AM
i dont think i could do it, maybe out of necessity while i got a few paychecks? back in 2000 i worked on a powerhouse in bakersfield ca i was pretty broke and stayed 1 week in the back of my 83 longbed yota it had a camper and had the carpet kit it wasnt bad i would go over to the truck stop and shower and clean up we were working 7days a week 14 to 16 hour days so i was pretty much dead after those long days once i got my first paycheck i started staying in a motel.sucks to be a poor welder apprentice!!!:sombrero: if u got the right set up its not bad the back of a truck or a subaru dont think so

whiskeycutter
12-07-2011, 01:46 AM
I lived out of a 1954 Chevy Panel van for 1 year in 1975 when I was young. I had a little money saved from my first job and a lot of time. I wanted to travel and the only way I could do it was camping. I toured the entire lower 48 and I would not trade that experience for anything. I never paid for a camping spot and I lived very simply mostly vegetarian fare, a lot of bucket baths and stops for laundry every several weeks. You have to be very self reliant and willing to give up most creature comforts. But I was never hungry, never cold and never bored. I had the opportunity to meet very interesting people, see our GREAT COUNTRY, and have stories for a lifetime by the time I was 25. This experience allowed me to really apply myself to work when I decided it was time. Now I am 60 and I plan to start that trip all over again. That's the beauty of the USA, you can trully follow your heart. So I highly recommend living in your vehicle for a lesson in what is important. Enjoy the ride!

Scott C
12-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Maybe I am a wuss, but after a few days I would think the smell in the truck would be terrible. I know what its like to stay a few days in a tent. I am always ready for a hot shower and clean clothes!

mojave joe
12-07-2011, 01:35 PM
I've been moteling a few days every week (for work) for almost a year. I'm hoping to get the Fleet rebuild done soon to give me a choice. I was planning on staying in RV parks to have hot showers and power for a space heater. Breaking camp every morning and dropping top might get old in a hurry, but I figure I can save 60% on my stay.

Dirty_Jeeper
12-07-2011, 02:57 PM
In my youth (early 70's) I lived for months in the foothills and mountains outside of Tucson AZ with next to nothing. One of the best times of my life. Now that I'm retired thoughts of a simple life have returned. I'm currently re purposing my 1999 XJ as a trailer to be towed by my 1997 XJ. A matching yet very different trailer. The XJ trailer will house a full kitchen in the rear with sleeping/living space in the front. It will carry additional vehicle fuel and fresh water as well. It can be parked in camp and left allowing the 97 XJ to explore without all the day to day supplies. It will have a matching 6 inches of lift on 33's as well so it can take to the trails and back roads. As soon as it's completed and had a few test runs, we're off on a cross country run for however long we want.

Yellowkayak
12-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Really sounds like alot of you want to live simple lives and live on the road...I do too, but I think the wife is to spoiled to go for six months to a year living in our popup and truck....yes a popup with all the amenities of home and I don't think she could do it for longer than a month at a time. If it were just me....I'd get a smaller leight weight "A" frame camper and a Jeep Wranlger Unlimited, rig lots of additional storage for water and fuel so I can live out there for months before having to go into "town" for necessities and replace worn out or broken equipment. Washing clothes...if you have access to a water supply, i.e. stream or faucet, a large bucket and earth friendly soaps will be just fine and hang them on a clothes line in the sun. Food? Catch and hunt it, and buy non-perishable can goods and things like rice, beans. Toilet? One of those shower tents and a portapotty and a shovel. The shower tent doubles as it was designed for...a shower and as mentioned a solar shower heater. If you do your research and look at what is available and have the true desired to live a really simple stress less life, it can easily be done.....and really cheaply also.

Ok this thread has got me wanting to do it sooner..I have to wait until the wife graduates from college in six months! Maybe by then i can convince it its would be better than paying all this high property taxes and having to live under the rule of local governments and their restrictions.

JJ

Dirty_Jeeper
12-07-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm sure Pat will chime in on this thread at some point, but until then this might be of interest to those who have a similar mind set.

http://www.everymilesamemory.com/

RossB
12-07-2011, 06:59 PM
My wife and I lived in a F250 for two years and crossed the States, Europe and Africa. We slept in a homemade roof tent, her favorite bed ..ever! We had a solar shower a powered cooler, a 2000km range thanks to Transfer flow and had a terrific time. Wasn't without its scary moments but a fabulous time. Living together 24/7 for 2 years really tests the relationship. We are still married after 23 years, and we still go off on long camping trips with kids, 4 wheeling, mountain biking etc. You just have to a littleorganized and as others have said, give up a few comforts, but know what you will live with. BTW a 5 gallon bucket with a lid makes a great laundry, especially on bumpy roads, just rinse and hang to dry. Just beacuase its camping doesn't mean you should be smelly and unclean! Cheers!

RossB
F350 Crewcab PSD 7.3 with a Magiolina roof tent, transfer flow tank and swing out rear tire carrier, carries 5 bikes and a tandem!

upcountry
12-08-2011, 03:42 AM
No rent or no mortgage and no bills equals freedom but also may cause for isolation and lonliness.

I mostly long for the days of no bills and simple pleasures.

I grew up in Hawaii in the 70s and my parents first house was a shipping container with a shed for a bathroom. They still live on the same property today and have a modest house my dad built.

I spent a summer in College in the Gunnison Colorado areae living in a tepee. That was great!

I spent my last year in College in Beleize living out of a small one person tent in San Ignacio, Placencia, Punta Gorda, and caye caulker.

After college I lived in a thatched hut with a dirt floor for three years as a peace corps volunteer in Bocas Del Toro in Panama (Comarcan gnabe bugle).

After that I worked for the Nature Conserancy in Hawaii and lived in a portable shelter that we heli-dropped in the rainforest to do watershed monitorring.

Now I have a desk job with a large city government and sit in a cube all day long and come home to my house.

Where did I go wrong? I would take back the tent or the shack kn a heartbwat to drop the stress and the urban BS.

I think a lifestyls change is in order. Some will call jt a midlife crisis!

juicifer
12-08-2011, 04:08 AM
It seems like everyone who has tried it thought it was worth it, even if it was just once. But it still seems like most everyone quit there jobs to do it. I'm trying to figure out how to keep my job and do it (not necessarily travel all the time), as I happen to have a professional career during the day. I have no desire for a mortgage and I camp every weekend anyways.

upcountry
12-08-2011, 04:19 AM
Do it! I think the biggest trick is setting up a very comfortable sleepjng arrangement that requires minimal work to setup or breakdown. That seems to be where I got tired of it. I have a friend that lives in his volvo wagon......is a builder that just lives at the job site and has a gym membership and works out and does the triple S there every morning (shower, shave, and sh*t).

Dirty_Jeeper
12-08-2011, 04:39 AM
Some useful information and ideas on this site that you may find helpful.

http://cheaprvliving.com/index.html

Surfy
12-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Thats a good thread question

I plan to drive from Switzerland to Southafrica next year - and tryout to life in the car most of the time.

As car i had choose the Land Cruiser 200 V8 (Diesel/Petrol), and want only do a minimal camper build.

In the back in a hight of 25cm-30cm a Bedroast - below a Drawer and Storage System, also with Watertank and warm water with heatexchanger to the engine (for africa you dont really need it, for Island or canada its another case. To cook i take a 2 flame gas burner in one of the drawer, and i will take also a 40l Freezer for carry some stuff for eating with me.

So i can`t carry much stuff for myself - think i will need a thule box or so too, for camping equippement, showertent (girlfriend will come with me ^^), chairs, a table.

For me its important, that i dont need to build up my sleeping area each evening, that we can sleep inside, and that we dosnt have to leave stuff outside for sleeping.

When we find a good lodge - we will take ;-)

We have so the focus to travel/drive and see much - not to live really on the same place for longer.

I think to live really on a place (in the civilisation), you need something bigger, a "normal" Shower, a restroom and some storage.

So to live i would take a big transporter in a long Version Iveco 77742 as sample - to have enough space...

But to travel abroad and of the beaten tracks - i will prefere my land cruiser... 77743

But after 6-8 weeks of living in it, crossing africa - i can tell u more about... I dream from a long term trip, but first i will to the testride trough africa.

I also love my live while working, love my job and love it to spend my time with my friends - so mayee my way will be - to travel 2 Months each year - to keep my work/live balanced..

mtnbike28
12-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Yes you can live out of the truck and keep your job. When I moved in March, I left my family for 5 months, so rather than rent something I stayed in my Compact trailer.... except, all my work cloths stayed in the back seat of the truck on hangers on a rack. I have a sleeping platform in the truck and slept in there rather than the camper half the time. The reasons were, winds storms (I felt better about tree limbs falling on the topper rather than the tent) cold, (truck was warmer), traveling (every weekend I was somewhere other than the campground were I parked the trailer) rain (if I got back to rain, or it was going to rain the night before I was leaving, I just slept in the truck) - I folded the trailer's RTT up a lot to protect it from UV damage over 4 months of being open. (I did find the house we wanted to rent for 1 month)

In the end I wondered why didn't I just use the truck full-time. I have a Zodi propane shower and Porta-Privy with the 5 gal bucket toilet, so I can be about anywhere and be clean and have facilities. As mentioned, the secrete is having a set-up that is fast (as in no work at all) to break down and move... the Zodi has an opening under the sleep platform as does the camp stove and I usually left the Porta-Privy set up. I was in a camp ground, but found a stop where campers and most trailers couldn't get to, so I was alone and peaceful....

hth

NothingClever
12-08-2011, 11:47 PM
I forgot to mention....your employer's dress code will most likely have a direct correlation to how much storage you need. Jeans and t-shirts...no problem with the Fleet or an ATC Bobcat, etc. Formal or even informal but conservative coats, ties, slacks and office shoes....gonna need some closet space like a Keystone or a Bigfoot which is beyond the capabilities of a small pickup.

4loco
12-09-2011, 12:47 AM
I think everyone should take a look at this thread. I have never lived out of a vehicle, or even thought about living out of a vehicle, but listening to all of your guys' stories makes me think there is more to life than what I'm living. I mean that in the most positive, exciting, adventurous kind of way. Listening to you guys really makes me think of all the CRAP that I have(possess) and call my own, and that's all it is, crap. I think living minimally out of a vehicle really makes you appreciate the small things in life. It would liberate you from the pressure from society/peers to be a certain way, act a certain way, buy this or buy that, live here or live there, make these people your friends and/or these people not your friends. You'd be satisfied doing what you want to do, living the way you want to live and loving on everyone, not just your friends. This thread has really changed my outlook on life and for that I thank you WISE gentlemen (and wives, gf's) for sharing your experiences and thank you to the original poster for asking this question!!! I can't even imagine how much I'd learn if I actually did this, if I've learned so much just by reading about it......my stock 4runner is far from that tho :)
-SK

TangoBlue
12-09-2011, 01:03 AM
This has been an important thread to monitor. I've learned a lot. Especially since my wife keeps threatening that I might have to move into it.

NothingClever
12-09-2011, 01:10 AM
...Especially since my wife keeps threatening that I might have to move into it.

That'll do her until the trash can's full or the toilet backs up and then (y)our bad habits are once again somewhat forgiveable.

TangoBlue
12-09-2011, 01:20 AM
That'll do her until the trash can's full or the toilet backs up and then (y)our bad habits are once again somewhat forgiveable.

I don't know... it kind of sounds to me like she just gave me permission to do that auxiliary fuel tank. I mean if I have to move into the truck I'm going to need greater range than what I've got now, right? I'm pretty sure that's what she means.

the dude
12-09-2011, 03:14 PM
The longest the wife and I have gone is 27 days in the Cruiser. No issues for us but we had two things we would not be without. Hot water onboard shower and our Engel Fridge.

Our fuel costs surpassed cheap rent. I wouldn't want to park and live out of our Land Cruiser as a permanent base. Tent city would be a better option for us.

trump
12-09-2011, 07:38 PM
I don't know... it kind of sounds to me like she just gave me permission to do that auxiliary fuel tank. I mean if I have to move into the truck I'm going to need greater range than what I've got now, right? I'm pretty sure that's what she means.

Yup, just like she gave you the green light to fix your CV's.:coffeedrink:

RMP&O
12-09-2011, 07:54 PM
FYI, when I first moved to JH I met some guys who lived in what we called a "skid pad". They were ski bums and climbers and all that jazz. The house they lived in was old and run down. So bad that it had fallen off it's foundation years before when a backhoe backed into the house. As a result the house did not have plumbing, it was crushed when the house came off the foundation. They rented the house for like $200 a month and at any one time there wold be 4-5 guys living there. I lived there myself for a few months. Across the street from the house was the public restrooms at the public parking area. Down the street was the rec center. The guys in the house would use the public restroms when needed and would go down to the rec center to shower and all that.

Not exactly living in your vehicle but similar. You could have a membership to the YMCA or local rec center if you lived in your vehicle. So staying "clean" for a job or whatever is doable. Laundry can be done at the laundry mats or simply do it the old school way, in a wash bucket with a wash board and hang it up to dry. A large part of the population in Latin America still does laundry this way.

keezer37
12-09-2011, 09:13 PM
what we called a "skid pad".

Ah, that reminds me of the Tumbleweed (http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses/weller/) houses.

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses/vardo/

upcountry
12-09-2011, 09:26 PM
I'm loving this thread. Thanks to all for making me laugh out loud at work pissing off my clueless coworkers who have no idea what's its lkke to live on the margins of society and be free from all that is urban living.

Dirty_Jeeper
12-09-2011, 09:53 PM
There is a lady in Utah living full time in her Prius, a young lady here in the east attending college full time who lives in her Jetta. So by comparison some of our rigs are over sized and luxurious. It's a matter of what really matters! I spent years eliminating debt and material possessions to live a little more free lifestyle. It really does open your eyes to how tied we are to material items in this society. I was able to move from California to New Jersey last summer with everything loaded in and on my XJ. This included my dog and my girlfriend with her luggage. Now I'm preparing a trailer (an XJ being re-purposed) to tow behind it for when my girlfriend retires soon and we can take to the road and travel and live a simple life. We all feel we "need" so much. The so called "American Dream". But when in reality we need very little. We are still undecided as to relocating west full or part time, but we will "live" in, or is it "out of" our rig for a considerable time.

Stick Figure
12-10-2011, 03:05 PM
I am in the process of moving from southern to northern california, and have spent the last week "homeless" up north.

Step one was a fridge freezer for the 4runner, while it was expensive, being able to spend less than $50 for more than a weeks worth of food (that i know is good and that i will actually like to eat) has been great. For 4 of the 5 nights I was in hotel rooms, usually whatever priceline could do a decent deal on. Most of these places were no where near what I would expect for the $60 a night average.

The one night I gave up and slept in the 4runner wasn't terrible, but the two biggest problems I had were where to park, and staying warm. If you work with in a reasonable driving distance of a camping area that problem is solved. I'm working in downtown San Jose, and believe it or not silicon valley is not known for its camp sites! I spent too much time trying to find somewhere semi private that i wouldn't get kicked out of in the middle of the night. With the temps in the 30deg range at night, and me only having limited blankets with me, it became a bit chilly. Since the 4runner has a remote start, when I would wake up because of the cold, I would hit that and let it run for its 15min time frame as I fell back asleep. Depending on your insulation and cold tolerance, you may not get much sleep. I think I averaged about 2hrs between wake ups.

As far as clean up, I had a couple of gallons of water on board just in case and was able to clean up in the morning at work. I didn't worry about a full shower since it was one day, I am allowed to wear hats and such. Of course the gym membership sounds like a great option, but it does give you one more stop in the morning and another potential problem with finding some where to park if your gym and work aren't close to each other.

Personally I think this lifestyle wouldn't be bad at all if you were vacationing/exploring, for everyday work routine its doable but not efficient or always comfortable.

I'm going back up again next week for another round of this lifestyle, wish me luck!

Runt
12-10-2011, 03:10 PM
It can be done in a Tacoma. I found the most important thing to be how you organize your small space and how you condition yourself. I.e. short hair, good physical condition & most importantly attitude. Another big factor for me was where I was parked. I typically spend time in my camper to sleep or when the bugs or weather is harsh. To be camping near a lake or river where I can do some fly fishing is important to me. No dress code except for safety gear (hard hat, high vis.). Hair is cut short so thats easy. Far as shower cleanliness when in the middle of no where I use a pop up privacy shelter, porta podi, hot jugz for a very quick shower. When close to civilization I seek out rec. centers to have a shower and use the gym or pool and truck stops to shower as well. I have from time to time used camp grounds as well that have shower facilities. My reason for living this way is work related. After 10 to 20 days I go back to the wife & kids and the not so urban life (live out of town on acerage) every time. I can live as a vagabond forever but I can not be away from the family longer then that with out feeling extremely guilty. My wife & kids come out in the Cruiser to where ever I'm working in the warmer months and we camp together. Do it but do not underestimate human contact family & friends etc. etc.

dodgexped
12-11-2011, 02:22 PM
I lived out of short bed dodge dakota for four months, while I guided in CO. It takes some getting used to sleeping in the 5.5 foot bed, but man I would do it again in heart beat. Before I left for trips I would just hit the Leadville hostel for a shower so I didn't meet the clients looking like I lived in my truck. Two of my co workers were also rocking the car homes, one in a CRV and on in a saturn.

juicifer
12-11-2011, 08:24 PM
I lived out of short bed dodge dakota for four months, while I guided in CO. It takes some getting used to sleeping in the 5.5 foot bed, but man I would do it again in heart beat. Before I left for trips I would just hit the Leadville hostel for a shower so I didn't meet the clients looking like I lived in my truck. Two of my co workers were also rocking the car homes, one in a CRV and on in a saturn.

What were you guiding in Leadville?

One of my concerns being in Denver is my water freezing at night during this time of the year. Also, I can't seem to find a way to dry my laundary during the winter.

Okki
12-11-2011, 11:26 PM
I didn't read through the whole thread, but at least in the first page, everyone seemed to assume a rural environment. If you live in/near a city, getting a gym membership will give you access to shower facilities and if you work out in the morning before heading to work, that takes care of overall bodily hygiene. Also, being in close proximity to restaurants/coffee shops gives you access to fresh warm meals and warm "hangout" locations depending on the type of restaurant/cafe. Public library's are a good warm up/hang out spot as well. Laundromat will let you do your laundry and dry it once a week.

I've not done it personally, but a relative lived out of his Ford Explorer in that fashion for quite a while when he was unemployed. He used a P.O. box to get his mail and a cellphone for email access.

Okki

mcgall83001
12-12-2011, 03:46 AM
I have a bit of experience in this area. I would guesstimate that I've spent close to two years living in the back of various vehicles (suburban, Bronco, Van no RV's).

If your in a urban area and just looking to save money my opinion is that it's not worth it. Find a couple of buddies and rent a crappy apt. Craigslist has rooms for rent in every city in America. You can probably just about break even and enjoy a healthier diet and social life. If your wanting to do this for some type of self discovery it may be the best thing you have ever done....or a nightmare. But you'll learn something about yourself either way.

In a rural area with plenty of public land nearby, I say go for it. This is where I experienced the most freedom. Your in tune with nature and will experience things you would usually only find on a long backpacking trip. I watched more sunsets, sunrises, full moons during that time than at any other time in my life. I used to have a fox that would come right in my camp and just sit and watch the sunset with me. A few minutes later I would look over and he would be gone. I tried to avoid too much in the way of electronic distractions but a laptop to watch a movie and a cell phone to chat with family and your golden.

A lot of people seem to be worried about bathrooms and hygiene. During the summer I never had any problems. Join the gym, jump in the river/lake/pond, stay clean cut, laundromats are cheap and plentiful, every gas station has a bathroom (improvise, adapt, overcome). Winter is a little harder. Between condensation and tracking in snow, wet rain-gear etc it's hard to keep things dry. You have to stay vigilant or things will go south quickly. Your best bet here is to get a girlfriend with her own place and a washer and dryer.

Speaking of girlfriends. When your 25 and living this lifestyle your adventurous, when 35 your eclectic, by 45 your just down right creepy.

For equipment I used an old-fashioned Coleman cooler/footstool/table, camp chair, backpacking stove and a Styrofoam pad to sleep on. Other than that I had a little charged that goes into the cigaret lighter (get the one with the fan) to keep cell phone and laptop charged.

Someone mentioned cheapgreenvliving.com. The author has some good information. When I first moved into my Bronco I sold or gave away almost everything. The stuff I could not bear to part with I put in storage. Came back a few months later and could not understand why I had kept so much crap. You don't need much.

Stick Figure
12-17-2011, 04:34 PM
So while i'm not living in my vehicle I have definitely been living out of it. After two weeks its getting a bit filthy inside ... so do I take it in for a detail, or hire a maid at this point? :sombrero:

Every Miles A Memory
12-18-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm sure Pat will chime in on this thread at some point, but until then this might be of interest to those who have a similar mind set.

http://www.everymilesamemory.com/

I dont know if what we did could be called living out of a vehicle, or at least to the both of us, it's still where we want to be, but had to go back to work for a few years to save up more money.

We lived out of a 25' Travel Trailer for 4 years while we roamed North America. The first few months was somewhat of a shock simply because we were both used to having a back yard to tend to, a big barn to work on the truck or camper when it needed something and all those luxuries you take for granted. But after a few months, you learn that having ANYWHERE you want as your back yard is a big trade off.

Once you get used to it, there is no way you can go back to what we've become accustomed to as a 'Normal Life' what ever that is these days.

If you're thinking about it and dont have anything tying you down, read through our website and the countless others out there and jump in. We needed a camper because like many have stated, living for any length of time without a hot shower and a real kitchen to work out of is pretty hard core. The camper made it like a really comfortable studio apartment with wheels.

The 4x4 truck and motorcycle was just icing on the cake

Hill, Bill E.
12-18-2011, 11:34 PM
I spent 7 months living out of a 56 ton tank retriever with 2 other soldiers, but that's a different story.:elkgrin:

Did have the Army delivering 2 meals a day, when possible. Showers? I think I had maybe 10 showers in those 7 months-most of them during the last 3 weeks.

Other than that, it was unscented baby wipes to clean up:Wow1:

I have spent two weeks living out of my XJ, and many 7-12 day trips with my CJ and M416 w/RTT.

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and look forward to my annual trips out west.

For work, I often lived out of my truck for a week+, until I got the first paycheck and could find a motel. (Pipefitter, on the road a lot)

Some places, the hotel costs were crazy! So I would usually find a campground so I had shower and laundry facilities, but still slept in the truck.

For my XJ, I made a sleeping platform, with storage underneath. This allowed me to keep most of my gear inside while sleeping.

I did have to slide the cooler, grub box and camp chair under the rig, or stow it on the roof. But I had plaenty of room for just me and my gear.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n274/hillbillecj7/IMG_20110409_132908.jpg

Filler pieces behind the driver seat, gave me over 7' of room to stretch (diagonally)

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n274/hillbillecj7/IMG_20110413_153727.jpg