PDA

View Full Version : Prepping a camel trophy defender 110 for around the world...

Pages : 1 [2]

The Rover Shop
06-19-2012, 10:14 PM
So in the end I lost this much height..

this is my tool tray which is rather heavy and with the tray fully extended and the underneath catch/stop engaged it holds very well and slides rather effortlessly..
and when fully closed I installed this pin which locks it in place and stops from sliding in or out..
the plastic tubs we were using for the pantry etc were a little inefficient as far as space utilisation was concerned so I measured up some aluminum boxes and am having those made to fully use the available space..

jeffinflorida
06-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Looks good Shayne! Nice post! I have the pics of my DII now, just let me figure out this forum posting thing...

The Rover Shop
06-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Looks good Shayne! Nice post! I have the pics of my DII now, just let me figure out this forum posting thing...

Let me know if you need any help..have become a bit of an old hand at this...not to be mistaken for an expert..LOL..

mtnbike28
06-20-2012, 02:36 AM
I am confused what keeps the tray from tipping... I have wanted to do a similar set-up, but the can not figure out the holding the tray in place when extended.

The Rover Shop
06-20-2012, 04:13 PM
When the tray is fully extended the back aluminum angle piece catches under the lip of the auminum strip you see screwed to the floor..I used 2 pieces of aluminum strip screwed to the floor, the lower pice is set back as kinda like a spacer to allow the upper piece to to sit up off the floor and allow the back aluminum angle to catch underneath it.. or.. pic 5 catches underneath pic 4 when fully drawn out...pic 5 aluminum angle actually skims along the floor and slides right underneath pic4 acting as a positive stop and stops the tray from tipping forward.. I hope this helps..I can take pics of it engaged if needed... after all of it was done I stained and lacquered the tray to make it look pretty..LOL..

El Solis
06-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Hey Shayne! Looking really good! I have the same compressor in the same location (LHD truck so back driver's side for me). How did you run the power to it? I went out the battery box and drilled (hated to do it) a hole in the truck where the power and ground came through. Protected the wires the whole way with plastic outdoor wire conduits. I don't really like the set up, too cluttered and looks like a hack job (bc it is). Just looking for a better way to do it.
My offer still stands for a place to stay if you are in the SF Bay Area.
Chris

The Rover Shop
06-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Sounds pretty much the same way I did it.. I ran a power cable right to hat area and then installed a 4 fuse holder.. Then I can run other items from there in the future... It's only a Hack job if it doesn't do it's intended purpose well... Sometimes things are a necessary evil..and I just may take you up on your offer to stop in...besides, don't we owe each other a beer or something...LOL...

The Rover Shop
06-21-2012, 09:58 PM
By the way..the whole Carisa ground so you only needed to run a power wire..the compressor can be grounded to the body..

El Solis
06-21-2012, 11:14 PM
By the way..the whole Carisa ground so you only needed to run a power wire..the compressor can be grounded to the body..

I thought about this but I've had some grounding issues and when I talked to the owner of the compressor place he recommended grounding it to the battery. I def need to put a power distribution port back there so I can add for the amp and the future fridge off the one line instead of the 3 or 4 I have now

The Rover Shop
06-30-2012, 04:08 PM
On the shakedown cruise climbng one of the big climbs in Utah all of a sudden the temp guage started climbing and it appeared to be overheating.. pulled to the side of the road and took a look under Camillas hood and everything seemed alright, waited 10 mins or so and started her up..temp slowly came back down to normal and everything seemed good, well this kept me watching the guage and worrying about issues and had me checking the guage all the time and I found it placed a concern in my mind about where we could or couldn't go...avoiding bigggg climbs etc.. So back at the shop I decided to have a fallback system in place, while I had the fan shroud out replacing the fan clutch I installed a thermo fan which is controlled by a temp sensor pushed into the rad about 2-3 inches below the top hose outlet, at a pre-set temp the thermo fan kicks in and gives extra cooling to the rad, sooo should the engine not be turning enough rpm and it starts to get hot the fan should kick in, I installed the fan behind the rad instaed of in front because I think the fan will very rarely ever get used so I was concerned about it getting constantly wet and seizing up so at least a little bit of heat from the rad should keep the fan internals dry..there is plenty of distance between the engine fan and the thermo fan so that I am not worried about.. This system also has an added bonus..in cooler weather and longer trips (such as going from Alaska to the east coast of Canada on the Can-Am highway) I can remove the engine fan (simply unscrews) and run the engine without a fan and still rely on the thermo fan in case it gets warm...this should allow me to get better fuel economy and less engine noise..yeah, like that will make a noise difference on this truck at highway speeds...LOL...
Having truoble uploading pics..will add soon..

The Rover Shop
07-01-2012, 04:49 AM
So I was speaking to Max the other day and he recommended looking into the air ride system to reduce the amount of body roll I was experiencing...it was freaking my wife out..(I think its freaking hilarious to watch her grab anything she can as she thinks we are tipping over).. so the air ride system is supposed to reduce that body roll and also allows the rear to be "pumped" up to compensate for additional rear loads, I also wanted to get a bit more suspension lift on top of the old man emu suspension already installed...so I installed a set of 1" spacers at the same time...
I set it up so each side is independantly adjustable, installed the left and right air fittings above the rear fog light..the higher springs may pose a bit of a problem but I think it will be fine..on the pics I have not yet installed the lower air bag spring "protector/spacer" as to make sure they don't get diplaced on articulation I want to silicone adhesive them into place..that spacer is only about an inch high...

El Solis
07-01-2012, 04:55 AM
I added a front and rear sway bar plus quad shocks in the rear and hardly have any body roll. I'll take some pictures.

The Rover Shop
07-01-2012, 06:23 PM
well slap my *** and call me stooopid.. I just bought a sister for Camilla.. I am now the proud owner of another 110 camel (1994-95 Mundo maya ?? 110 money pit.. Pics to follow..

GREENI
07-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Hahaha, you have it bad !

maxingout
07-01-2012, 10:10 PM
well slap my *** and call me stooopid.. I just bought a sister for Camilla.. I am now the proud owner of another 110 camel (1994-95 Mundo maya ?? 110 money pit.. Pics to follow..

Congratulations. You are the man!

overlander
07-02-2012, 09:15 PM
ok, you need to start up a CT museum. Make those dogs earn their keep!

The Rover Shop
07-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Only if it's a traveling museum complete with mud and rivers and camping and world travels... Lol..

maxingout
07-03-2012, 06:18 AM
So I was speaking to Max the other day and he recommended looking into the air ride system to reduce the amount of body roll I was experiencing...it was freaking my wife out..(I think its freaking hilarious to watch her grab anything she can as she thinks we are tipping over).. so the air ride system is supposed to reduce that body roll and also allows the rear to be "pumped" up to compensate for additional rear loads, I also wanted to get a bit more suspension lift on top of the old man emu suspension already installed...so I installed a set of 1" spacers at the same time...

I have had the red airbags on three different Defenders, and they did an awesome job of eliminating the body sway. I look forward to hearing your report of how they work for you.

I set it up so each side is independantly adjustable, installed the left and right air fittings above the rear fog light..the higher springs may pose a bit of a problem but I think it will be fine..on the pics I have not yet installed the lower air bag spring "protector/spacer" as to make sure they don't get diplaced on articulation I want to silicone adhesive them into place..that spacer is only about an inch high...

I have had the red airbags on at least three of my Defenders, and they did a great job of eliminating the body sway. I look forward to hearing a report of how they work for you.

The Rover Shop
07-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Well my wife seems to think it handles alot better and alot less body roll, it definitely has allowed me to get rid of that leaning to one side look that most defenders have...will be nice to be able adjust according to load... very happy with it so far..

The Rover Shop
07-07-2012, 06:28 PM
I believe the one website is up and running...still ahve a few more tweaks to be done but feel free to visit us on www.YoungRovers.com and let us know what you think....its all a new learning curve for us...www.The-Long-Way-Home.com will be in more of a wordpress blog format I believe... always open to suggestions though..

triple9music
07-08-2012, 06:41 AM
Shayne, what kind of fan shroud is that on there? So stoked for you and your wifey! looks like the trip of a lifetime! I think I'm gonna install one of those fans on my radiator as well. Safe travels man if your near Charleston SC, hit me up for some shrimp and grits and some holy city beer!

The Rover Shop
07-14-2012, 10:38 PM
Sorry for the delay...been doing a shootload of finalising on her...I believe she is as near as done as dammit.. Have loads of pics and updates to add.. will sit tonight or tomorrow and do the final update... In regards to the shroud..Its the original fan shroud for the 200 TDI, I just mounted to the radiator an electric thermal fan inside it between the engine fan and the radiator..

The Rover Shop
07-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Lets see if these pics of the new addition show up..
please be forewarned...these pics are a little graphic and not for the faint hearted..

GREENI
07-15-2012, 12:11 AM
That girl has been neglected.
Luckily know in the right hands. It's like a happy adoption story !

jjstahl3
07-15-2012, 01:21 AM
hey shayne - like the 2nd truck checked out your site and you might need a navigation bar at the top at some point maybe something like this?110770

The Rover Shop
07-16-2012, 05:52 AM
SoI had her up on the lift the other day...due to the height of Camilla she can't fit in my workshop so I had to resort to working on her in my warehouse, I have a low rise lift that I use and it works out great..
So I wanted to run all of the breather lines to a common junction and then up high next to the snorkle.. bought the kit from england and proceeded to install
I also bought the front timing belt breather cover adaptor as well...they even come with a cool flag sticker..LOL...

allows the rear and front diffs, the gearbox and transfer box all to come up to one common beather pipe...the front timing case breather kit comes with a 2 into 1 junction piece allowing it to be used in conjunction with this kit..

The Rover Shop
07-16-2012, 06:17 AM
SO I wanted to improve our storage system and found that or plastic container system was not going to be durable enough..so I drew up plans to maximise the dimensions ... the cutout sections on the left of the boxes is needed due to the door catch striker sticking out the way it does...this allows the 2 boxes to slide back on the previously shown slide tray and gives me maximum useable space..
these 2 boxes are the pantry and cookware boxes with sliding tops for ease of access.. the ones to the right are our storage boxes of clothes...one thing that we learnt on our recent trip through very fine dusty trails dust got into absolutely bloody everything...this doesn't worry me too much but it annoys the wife like there is no tomorrow (don't ask me why, she admits it doesn't make sense why it annoys her)...happy wife = happy life.. so on the clothes boxes the lid sits on top and has a sealing strip on the lid where it closes to the base t keep dust etc out...these are made out of 1/8 aluminum sheet and should last a lifetime...made out of that thick a material so they can also double as seat bases and tables at the campsite..
the lower section under these boxes is additional storage boxes of stuff not used too often with the exception of my tool tray that should contain all the tools I will hopefully need to fix anything on the road...most of my recent work on the vehicle has been done with the tools I carry on the truck to ensure I have what I normally use..being a mechanic I probably tend to overpack on tools and spare bolts etc...but since I may stop and work in some areas for a while I can justify it...LOL..the rovers north tool roll pack comes in handy also..LOL..

The Rover Shop
07-16-2012, 06:44 AM
I have designed the interior so that in very cold or stormy weather we can sleep inside the vehicle...what I did find when we did sleep inside is that the sleeping platform prevents you from opening the door from the inside once closed as the handle is below the platform..so I removed the catch and "modified it".. lol..
welded an upright handle on it and then sleeved it with a piece of rubber hose.
once the door is closed the top of the new handle protudes enough to allow its operation from inside..

The Rover Shop
07-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Since the installation of the rear winch and installation of the new style sealed solenoid control packs front and rear I wanted a matching winch controller for front and back ones...the newer warn winch controllers are safer and have a signal light telling you its on and a powerful (ish) LED flashlight in the handle, since the front one is a superwinch and wired into the original 3 wire style winch control plug mounted on the upper fender I also mounted a wireless controller in the front..but since I dont know the reliability of these I wanted to ensure I had the warn wired in also...so now I have the option of 3 controllers for the front and one for the rear...

The Rover Shop
07-16-2012, 07:25 AM
so I wanted a rear cage so that in the event of an accident or rollover all of the components in the rear dont come tumbling through, the cage also serves as anti-theft security seperation from front to rear... but due to my need for sleeping inside I needed something that was easily moved to allow interior sleeping.. so I took a piece of grating that resembles the mantec side grates and went about devising a system...since my vehicle has the interior roll cage I was able to mount a hinging system to the overhead roll tube..I wrapped one sided adhesive fabric around the pipe (actually the furry side of industrial velcro) and took a piece of flat steel and made a pipe tube strap kind of deal...this allows me to adjust the tension by the bolt close to the pipe and that eliminates any rattling etc..
and then I took some of those wire cable clamp fittings that were the correct size for the steel grate bars and secured through the pipe straps...this allows me to adjust the height of the grate up or down..I placed the nuts of everything to the rear so that they cant be undone from inside...(hopefully a security measure) ..

when we want to sleep inside the security grate swings forward and secures to the roof allowing room for our feet to extend into the centre of the truck (when sleeping our head is at the rear door..).. I will be fabricating some style of locking device to lock the lower section of the grate to the roll cage making it secure but able to be easily unlocked and lifted..

The Rover Shop
07-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Not sure if this was a temporary stateside kinda thing that will pass once we have weened ourelves from the grip of the electronic devices but we found that there was not a good spot to store i-phones and i-pods (often used to have music in desolate areas or foreign countries) etc so I took one of the unused mounting brackets that come with the tuffy boxes and cut it up to make a 2 inch deep pocket, lined it with fabric to stop scratching ipods etc while bouncing around in it.. and almost looks factory..

The Rover Shop
07-16-2012, 07:56 AM
So I wanted to make sure that I captured anything that I am not prepared for on camera (we had a few elk nearly run into us when they ran in front of us when we didn't have any cameras on).. so I installed a mounted camera on the front rack light bar and mounted a monitoring screen on the dash...this constantly records onto an SD card and if nothing is downloaded off the car it just re-records on a loop system...that way if something happens we have it on record...not the best resolution but its a great backup situation...also acts as an accident camera.. we can easily see on the monitor if its recording..

The Rover Shop
07-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Occasionally we need to dry clothes or stinky sweaty shoes so I installed a ratchet strap to the front hood mounted spare and that allows me to put an elastic cargo net over it...this allows us to place items in the centre without them jumping out...the heat from the engine etc dries them in no time as well as airing them out..it also gives me somewhere to tie a safety cord to the hood mounted drift or go-pro camera which we mount to the hood...

ReconH3
07-16-2012, 08:33 AM
That's exactly what we used to do to dry our clothes. :) To wash them we stuck them in a Pelican Case half filled with water and soap. Added some river bed rocks, and strapped it to the roof rack. The swaying motion all the way up there gave it the tumbling action. Another thing we did with the 300tdi engines is stick our MREs or similar between the rubber engine cover and engine. 30 mins and you had a perfectly cooked meal. These were tricks we learned from other CT participants.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

overlander
07-18-2012, 05:09 PM
how did you get the recording to loop?

Snagger
07-24-2012, 08:24 PM
I've just read this thread from start to finish, and it's a very impressive refurbishment and adaptation project. I envy you the vehicle and the trip!

For many of the EU countries, you will need a first aid kit and two fire extinguishers. You will also be required to carry a spare bulb kit, a break down warning triangle (the fold-out plastic reflective type you put on the road 100 or so yards from the vehicle), Hi-Vis vests for each vehicle occupant, registration and insurabce documents, and as already mentioned, a new French addition is a breathaliser kit. Be warned that the Italians and Swiss don't like roof mounted fuel cans - one of them prohibits them to be full on the roof and the other has banned them up there at all, even empty (I can't remeber which is which). The Swiss are also, unsurprisingly, a little anal about vehicle condition - the vehicle must be clean within the Swiss borders; any mud or thick dust on it and they won't let you in.

As far as the trailer brakes are concerned, you only need the over-run brakes (mechanically activated by the inertia pushing forward on the trailer's hitch) - you don't need air or powered hydraulic brakes that connect to the vehicle's brakes until you get to 3.5T, if I recall it accurately.

PM me if you're going to be passing Bedford (the UK one) - I'd love to have a look at it in the flesh (as would my CT Club member eleven year old son).

By the way, keep an eye on the rad and that electric fan - mounting them directly to the rad like that can cause fretting and puncturing of the tubules. You might also consider buying an X-Eng unlockable anti-roll bar when you're in the UK; it lookls like the sort of thing that would suit you.

The Rover Shop
07-25-2012, 06:22 AM
That musta been some heck of an amount of spare time on your hands, but thank you... It didnt start out as being such a monumental undertaking but it is finally slowing down a bit now as most things are done.... At least until i get it into the real world and see what needs to be tweaked and adapted...i believe I have all of those safety things onboard as part of my self mandated necessary kit...wasn't aware about the Jerry cans thing but that can be alleviated by putting them into the aluminum tool box or inside the vehicle..I have a couple of pics and pages of the last bits that I have done but really trying to get back underway on the trip...

The Rover Shop
07-25-2012, 06:25 AM
how did you get the recording to loop?

I think it's in the setup...once the card is full it just records at the beginning again...

The Rover Shop
08-04-2012, 05:54 PM
So one thing that has been a real PITA is where the roof top tent sits in the roof rack its a pain in the butt to get the cover back over...particularly where the hinge is on the tent...there simply isn't enough clearance between the hinge and the rack...so since we were having trouble with the poor quality zippers on our Hannibal tent I decided to attack taking the tent off the frame... took the canvas down to my local baot trim guy and had the zippers replaced with better quality larger ones...while it was there we had some other modifications done as well...with the interior window flaps closed it makes the tent too dark so we had small clear plastic windows installed into the window flap..now it should at least let a bit of light in in the mornings..

SO while the tent canvas was off I set about narrowing the frame work to give better clearance... I recessed the hinges in about 1/2 inch each side and I wanted to take a bit of tension off the interior window zippers so I shortened the frame horizontal widths by about 1/2 inch also
Ordinarily I would have done a tidier cut with the receses but I had a hell of a time geting in with limited space with the rack..
So I went about re-assembling the newly modified tent canvas..and hundreds of staples later...

The Rover Shop
08-04-2012, 06:07 PM
I never got around to finish the bracketry for my onboard welding system so I tackled that now..
very simple mount and can be mounted in about 5 mins..can also be used as backup alternator if primary one fails...I think it pushes about 260 amps..and from the control box has a large invertor system...

The Rover Shop
08-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Something more simple was my problem with having paper towels available...they always seem to get untidy or flapping around.. I took a broom handle and cut it about an inch longer each side...drilled holes i the end and placed a zip tie through it and then attatched 2 light weight bungee cords and mounted it to the rear guard...keep enough tension on it to stop from coming unwrapped by wind..when you pull from the bottom out it releases the tension on the towel roll so that it comes out easy...and it can be easily relocated to the rear window guard when camping..happy wife = happy life....

cdavis3361
08-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Where did you procure the dash inclinometer? Been looking for something like that for a while. Closest I could find is from a new FJ.

The Rover Shop
08-04-2012, 07:50 PM
There is always some coming up for sale on e-bay..I have a spare montero one around if you like that I couldn't get to fit right on my dash..even with this one i think it was from a toyota land cruiser and I had to modify the housing a fair bit to get it to sit right...I just installled it there on the dash with RTV as it holds really well and if i chooose to repace it later with something different shouldn't leave any marks...its the inclinometer and altimeter combo...I have seen some with compasses and all sorts of stuff in them..pretty cool stuff if you can figure how to power them etc...

cdavis3361
08-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks! Can't believe I didn't think to look on eBay, I've been checking CL and Amazon. Not so smart moment on my part.

The Rover Shop
08-04-2012, 10:52 PM
check under altimeter..compass or inclinometer... if you check compass you will get alot of jeep crop...put -jeep after compass and it narrows it down a bit...

The Rover Shop
08-15-2012, 01:20 AM
On a whim the other day decided to get the 110 weighed..7300lbs expedition ready...holy poop..gonna have to cut back on some donuts,,,..she's just big boned...

Timo K
08-15-2012, 08:06 AM
10% over GVW... :D What've you done to it!

The Rover Shop
08-15-2012, 02:34 PM
3 winches..inflatable canoe.. Welding system. Underbody protection..beefed up steering and suspension.. Too many tools..refrigerator. Additional fuel tank.. Roof rack and tool box..solar panels..roof top tent..2 spare wheels,heavy duty pullpal etcetcetc.. I guess it all adds up..lol..that is all our clothes, cookware, pantry etc in it as well..

Expedition.Report
08-15-2012, 03:29 PM

I spy some Hennasy Hamocks! They are the bomb, great thing to pack on any extended trip, one thing I learned is that with any amount of wind on colder nights will strip the heat right from you, in that scenario a small single person air mattress will help keep your bum and back warm (even better yet would be a down filled mattress)

Love you build and wish ya the best on the trip!

The Rover Shop
08-15-2012, 05:11 PM
On our trip in the interior of the US we learnt that on some cold nights..(cold for us as we have been in Florida for the past 20 years) is 50 degrees.. And even an air mattress is notorious for stripping the cold from your body.. For the cold nights on top of the air mattress goes a genuine Australian lambs wool pelt..actually two of them together.. This gives excellent heat insulation..that is for the roof top tent anyway.. We actually haven't tried the Hennessy hammocks out yet but we have the big Agnes sleeping bags with the air mattress backing which is reversible for the cold and think it will be very comfortable for the right kind of weather.. Really looking forward to trying them out though..almost everyone who has them says they will never go back to sleeping on the ground again.. They call them people ground dwellers..lol..wasn't too many trees to tie to in Moab etc so we will wait for the upcoming trip to Alaska and then south to Guatemala...

kpredator
08-15-2012, 09:06 PM
congrats on your build,trip.its nice to see someone living out their dream.
lots of great ideas for a hi-lux build of mine.
lots of diesel and water helps keep you bulletproof.
keep it as light as possible.
good luck
kevin

Expedition.Report
08-16-2012, 01:23 AM
Well if you are using them on your way up to Alaska there will be plenty of tree along that route to test em on!

Which way are you going through Canada?

The Rover Shop
08-22-2012, 12:00 AM
Dammit... I blew 2nd gear syncro on Camilla....thank god I have a spare 66000 mile tranny sitting around...gotta pu;; the complete rack off to get it in the shop though....Grrrr... oh well...glad it happened here and not on the trail...although its really bad its still driveable... would have still gotten me out of the jungle though...

BurbanAZ
09-05-2012, 02:39 AM
wow what a great build and trip thread, i just read the whole thing. Love the new ideas you had also, not just the same old build thread. Nice to see so many custom ideas and see you doing so much of the work yourself. Sucks about the syncro though, definitely nice to have spare parts laying around the shop.

Skookumchuck
10-01-2012, 02:24 AM
Just spent the last few hours reading this from front to finnish. Hope the rip is going well great build be safe and have fun. Looking forward to virtually traveling along with you.

Jack5885
10-01-2012, 07:09 AM
I also installed the heaviest guage checker plate I could get on the hood and the fenders...I knew I was going to need to walk on the them to set up the tent all the time...seems to be holding up great...done lots of miles on corrugated back roads...but only time will tell.. no matter what happens I have to keep this hood intact..had 10 of the camel trophy guys sign it...wayyy cool...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=102183

Wow, I didn't know there was a Swett who drove Camel Trophy. :Wow1: That name doesn't come around very often. I hope I can meet him at Overland Expo this year...

-Jack Swett

The Rover Shop
10-08-2012, 02:09 PM
And Jim's a heck of a nice guy too.. All of em are a great bunch of guys and we had a blast hanging out with them.. I believe Jim and some of the other guys will be there at overland expo 2013... I know I'm going to try and make it...

The Rover Shop
10-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Something that has always been in the back of my mind as a potential weakness of my truck is that I haven't installed lockers.. Well I have been researching different brands and for what I want I have narrowed it down to either he Keiser auto full lockers or the ARB air lockers.. I like the operating characteristics of the kaisers and am trying to do a deal as we speak.. They are just breaking into the US market and as such are expensive to ship...they have been around for a long time though and a very good track record in some pretty heavy duty applications..

t42beal13t
10-08-2012, 03:19 PM
I just got around to reading the entire thread. Amazing how this truck has evolved! I hope you and the misses are having the time of your lives.

How's that water purifier treating ya?

Timo K
10-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Something that has always been in the back of my mind as a potential weakness of my truck is that I haven't installed lockers.. Well I have been researching different brands and for what I want I have narrowed it down to either he Keiser auto full lockers or the ARB air lockers.. I like the operating characteristics of the kaisers and am trying to do a deal as we speak.. They are just breaking into the US market and as such are expensive to ship...they have been around for a long time though and a very good track record in some pretty heavy duty applications..

Same here. Plan is to have a Kaiser in the rear Salisbury by February.

ipgregory
10-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Not a Salisbury but the ongoing testing of mine continues. Over 2-1/2yrs of this type of stuff now and no problems to report so far. These are from Moab last week. Most Overlanding/Expedition type travel will likely not put it to the same level of abuse.

Edit - Should add that I have a Kaiser standard 24 Spline Rover Axle unit in the rear with HD Shafts. Had the same type of unit in the front for a while with no issues but I took it out as I decided I don't want a full time locker in the front for my application. I now run an ARB in the front.

Jitterbug
10-09-2012, 11:48 PM
There is a bit of a thread on AULRO on these, Dave Ashcroft (Ashcroft Transmissions) stocked them for a short period, then stopped. His explanation:

Hi Rick, When we first tested the Kaiser diff on our 90 I was impressed, our demo 90 is an auto puma, it drove well and just gave a very small clonk occasionally but this was far better than the Detroit locker so we bought some,

Having sold some and got feedback from customers I have since leant that they behave quite differently on a manual disco or 90 and can make a repeated clonk quite badly when you are off the throttle and on full lock, ie turning into a parking space,

This combined with the fact that they were quite expensive especially when compared to our air locker which was launched around the same time meant that they have not sold very well so when our stock ran out I decided not to reorder,

They may be better on a 110 due to the increased wheelbase but the Detroit was not a problem on the 110 and the Salisbury Detroit's are far cheaper, Pls feel free to post this reply on the forum,

I have no experience of these myself so cant comment.
I have front and rear ARBs in my 90 and am currently looking at what to put in the rover front and 2 salisbury rears on my 6x6.

ipgregory
10-10-2012, 12:19 AM
My 90 is a 97 NAS model so its an auto. No experience with it in a stick so can't comment either. There was a guy on another thread in Canada I think it was that had some issues but he never really worked out what the problem was. He had a stick if I remember. I've not come across any others. I am running one in the back of my 90 and my old front one is running in the back of a friends D1. Both auto and both without issues.

The Rover Shop
10-10-2012, 02:04 AM
I could see how on tight turns into a parking space off throttle the diff locker could get differing "demands"..it's off throttle so the diff assumes you are going down hill and has to lock in the "braking"(i.e.. its now being a "driven" instead of a "driver") position and tries to slow the fastest driven wheel down with the driveshaft speed, but since you are really only rolling there is not enough driving torque to keep the locker engaged so it disengages, I believe its this engaging disengaging conflict that may be causing the noise..it doesn't happen on a auto because your braking is over-riding the drive (i.e.. you are holding back the car as its still applying torque to the ffront differential)..you still have the front diff being "driven" so it keeps driving the inside wheel and allows the outside wheel to run faster than it so therefore is silent in its operation as it is designed to be...I am yet to install mine so I am only assuming but have studied the operating principles of these diffs a little bit..I chatted to their product guy and expressed concern over this and they are aware of it but also said its pretty much part of the opertional compromise.. I have to believe that there will be a way to avoid this noise and once learned will be a small price for what I believe is one of the best lockers on the market..(for my particular needs..:))..) I would start by braking with the engine still driving in 1st gear as you pull into the parking space.. so you are kinda simulating being an auto vehicle.. or stop before you pull in tight and drive in instead of rolling in..I am sure I will update my findings as this progresses..

The Rover Shop
10-10-2012, 02:10 AM
I have also contacted a company called X-eng in regards to some of their stuff.. they have this really neat detatchable rear stabiliser bar system that I REALLY want..as well as some really good visual anti-theft devices for Defenders.. land Rover Defenders are supposedly the 2nd highest stolen vehicle in the UK..and I think the numbers were something like 10 stolen every day... holy poop.. Look into them, they may get you a decent discount on your insurance also.. they also do this great door latch piece that stops your pants and belt loops from getting caught going in and out of the truck..I have wasted 3 pairs of jeans already... very annoying.. If you guys e-mail em let them know that I brought your attention to them...I am not affiliated with them yet but I am really looking into trying a bunch of their products..

ipgregory
10-10-2012, 02:28 AM
Since Camilla is a stick and you are going to be testing the $h!t out of it in terms of various terrain and surface types, it will be interesting to hear your findings Shayne. I think its a great peice of kit for what I use it for but can only test it in my truck of course.

The Rover Shop
10-10-2012, 05:12 AM
Looks like you put it through some pretty cool testing yourself according to your recent pics...;))

Timo K
10-10-2012, 07:37 AM
I could see how on tight turns into a parking space off throttle the diff locker could get differing "demands"..it's off throttle so the diff assumes you are going down hill and has to lock in the "braking"(i.e.. its now being a "driven" instead of a "driver") position and tries to slow the fastest driven wheel down with the driveshaft speed, but since you are really only rolling there is not enough driving torque to keep the locker engaged so it disengages, I believe its this engaging disengaging conflict that may be causing the noise..it doesn't happen on a auto because your braking is over-riding the drive (i.e.. you are holding back the car as its still applying torque to the ffront differential)..you still have the front diff being "driven" so it keeps driving the inside wheel and allows the outside wheel to run faster than it so therefore is silent in its operation as it is designed to be...I am yet to install mine so I am only assuming but have studied the operating principles of these diffs a little bit..I chatted to their product guy and expressed concern over this and they are aware of it but also said its pretty much part of the opertional compromise.. I have to believe that there will be a way to avoid this noise and once learned will be a small price for what I believe is one of the best lockers on the market..(for my particular needs..:))..) I would start by braking with the engine still driving in 1st gear as you pull into the parking space.. so you are kinda simulating being an auto vehicle.. or stop before you pull in tight and drive in instead of rolling in..I am sure I will update my findings as this progresses..

I think you nailed it. I came to the same conclusion, it's not really a defect (It's not a bug, it's a feature!) but like they said, a design compromise. FYI the Detroit seems to have the same issue, but it's (IMHO) a much poorer design in comparison. They're known to go boom and taking out half-shafts with them too, I've yet to hear a Kaiser grenading, although there don't seem to be too many around due to the price. Anywhoo, low range first gear driving it in, should cure all clonks when doing tight turns... We'll see.

ipgregory
10-10-2012, 07:47 AM
I agree, I think itís just 'chattering' to itself when its coasting with the clutch in and in a hard turn. Has no way to set itself as there is conflicting input. Not something to worry about but probably annoying with the noise to some. Haven't heard it myself of course so can't comment on how much noise it makes. Doesnít do it in an auto as there is always going to be a positive or negative input from the prop shaft unless you put the t-case in neutral and coast (why would you?).

Yes I certainly don't baby mine. It gets a work out.

uk trailer guy
10-10-2012, 09:10 PM
land Rover Defenders are supposedly the 2nd highest stolen vehicle in the UK..and I think the numbers were something like 10 stolen every day... holy poop..

I'd be surprised if that were the case to be honest. Defenders are registered as insurance group 10 (older ones) to 12 (new ones) over here. NB. My Series III is insurance group 2! :wings:

I reckon that it's likely to be high end Range Rovers that are way up on the list and usually in to a shipping container and on to a ferry and out of the country within 24 hours.

Don't worry, if you come this direction with your Landy, she's likely to be smiled and waved at, rather than nicked :)

Red90
10-11-2012, 08:40 PM
I think you nailed it. I came to the same conclusion, it's not really a defect (It's not a bug, it's a feature!) but like they said, a design compromise. FYI the Detroit seems to have the same issue, but it's (IMHO) a much poorer design in comparison. They're known to go boom and taking out half-shafts with them too, I've yet to hear a Kaiser grenading, although there don't seem to be too many around due to the price. Anywhoo, low range first gear driving it in, should cure all clonks when doing tight turns... We'll see.
Well, to be fair a Detroit in a Salisbury will never die. In a Rover axle it is a different story. The Salisbury center is much stronger than any halfshaft that can be put in the axle. Seeing as this thread is about a 110, we should keep the discussion to that vehicle.

Red90
10-11-2012, 08:43 PM
There was a guy on another thread in Canada I think it was that had some issues but he never really worked out what the problem was. He had a stick if I remember.
Yes, 300TDI 110 with an R380. He is local and we drove it, so he could show me. The chattering was only in the front, though, if you disengaged the clutch at full lock. Nothing from the rear. He later sold the truck, so no idea what happened past that point.

ipgregory
10-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Will try and remember to coast mine on a turn next time i have the truck out and see if I can get it to do it to give me an idea of how bad the noise is. I only have the back one in though now so if it only does it on the front I won't have much luck.

Red90
10-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Will try and remember to coast mine on a turn next time i have the truck out and see if I can get it to do it to give me an idea of how bad the noise is. I only have the back one in though now so if it only does it on the front I won't have much luck.
And coasting did not cause it either... You had to disengage the clutch while in the middle of a turn. He noticed when turning into parking spots. It seemed to be the locker engaging and disengaging rapidly with the drivetrain backlash. It was a weird thing.

ipgregory
10-11-2012, 10:36 PM
If I throw the trans or t-case into neutral while turning slow on full lock, you think that would do it? How loud was it?

The Rover Shop
10-12-2012, 04:22 AM
I think his only problem was in the front one... He had no problem with the rear if I recall correctly.. My front and rear lockers and GBR front shafts are all on their way.. Hopefully everything will be done by next weekend as there is a north Florida land rover event I would like to give em a try at...

ipgregory
10-12-2012, 04:59 AM
What did you decide on for the front Shayne?

The Rover Shop
10-12-2012, 01:16 PM
I have a kaiser front coming.. I guess if I don't like it I will replace it with my other choice... An ARB..

ipgregory
10-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Kaiser front works fine. Mine had a little torque steer to begin with but it soon faded. Its not as bad as a TruTrac. They updated them and made a dedicated front one after I tested the original and reported the torque steer. They say itís much improved in that initial break in. Not tried it though.

I decided I didn't want a full time locker in the front for what I do and a friend wanted a back one so we put his ARB in my front and the Kaiser in his back. I like the Kaiser/ARB set up a lot now for my application. I run open front 99.9% of the time and only engage it when I really need it.

Itís possible I guess the 'chatter' is part of that break in on a stick truck since the locker is tighter and it only seems to affect the fronts? Be interested to hear your findings after you've run it a while to see how it is once its fully broken in. Not sure if anybody else who has commented has run one long enough to say for sure?

Really interested to hear how they work in snow/ice and slippery mud. I have tried mine best I can with no issues but Mud/Snow are hard to come by in AZ... :)

Jitterbug
10-15-2012, 04:11 AM
Really interested to see how you go with these too...

The Rover Shop
10-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Decided to put twin rear shocks on the rear.. terrafirma has a plate that bolts onto the rear shock mounting points to allow another shock to be installed, pretty surdy piece of kit too... I opted to weld it in place..

The Rover Shop
10-20-2012, 01:14 PM
A problem with the 110 is that the rear mudflap sits too close to the rear wheels..when backing up in mud, sand, rocks etc..if the rear mudflap gets pushed against the rear tyre it rips the mudflap off and takes a chunk of the rear fender panel mounting point with it...(ask me how I know..;((.) actually you can see where it ripped out of in the first pic..SO I eliminated the existing mounting point and mounted them all the way on the back cross-member.. took a small piece of angle aluminum and flat stock aluminum and bolted the mudflap between them and then mounted the angle aluminum to the rear cross member..drilled holes through it and recessed the left rear to allow the exhaust exit..trick is getting the angle right so they sit straight..

Timo K
10-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Care to take an outside pic that shows it from a distance, so one can see how it looks overall with the new mudflaps?

The Rover Shop
10-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Soooo, it appears I have a sickness... I recently was alerted to a camel trophy defender 90 that came up for sale...while i thought there was soething not 100% about it I decided to take a gamble..and bought it...

While it looks to be interesting the verdict is still out on its authenticity.. it appears to have some of the right stuff on it but thinking its a replica...will still make a great addition and a fun beater without worrying about destroying a piece of history... will make a great vehicle for one of my daughters... when they are old enough to drive they will be flown to europe and each one can bring a friend and we will travel europe in the 3 camel trophy trucks, they can go off where they want to but I will still be able to be close at hand if caca occurs...will be kinda cool all of us having a european vacation together... seeing the sights..like the pyramids etc etc.. may even convince them to hang with their old man for a while..volunteering at the big game parks etc..get them involved in conservation etc....

RNPhoto
10-23-2012, 01:40 AM
Oohhhhh mahhhh Lord. If it's not real sell it!!!

To me!

burn_e
10-24-2012, 08:53 AM
having a european vacation together... seeing the sights..like the pyramids etc etc..

????

The Rover Shop
10-24-2012, 01:14 PM
I know... Two separate thoughts/possibilities...

AFSOC
10-24-2012, 01:31 PM
I know... Two separate thoughts/possibilities...

maybe, maybe not...The Louvre has a very nice pyramid and should be considered a "must see" for any European family adventure

The Rover Shop
10-24-2012, 02:50 PM
So does Las Vegas and a sphinx.... Lol..127853

AFSOC
10-24-2012, 02:54 PM
So does Las Vegas and a sphinx.... Lol..

Dude, get a globe! Vegas is not in Europe either. :coffeedrink:

The Rover Shop
10-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Did they move it..??????...must have fallen victim to the recession..;0

The Rover Shop
10-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Need to get on the road before they move London bridge too....

The Rover Shop
10-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Diffs are still in Brazilian customs....

The Rover Shop
10-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Looks like e diffs are on e move again and should be here tomorrow or Tuesday.. Also my big pile of stuff ships from x-engineering Monday as well.. Going with the x-brake and a bunch of other stuff as well..

aka rover
10-30-2012, 08:29 AM
I can'twait to see that rover! I hope everything is bolted down REAL.. well! :Mechanic: You never know what could happen in MEXICO:sombrero:

The Rover Shop
10-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Yeah.. I know what you mean... been thinking about doing a mercedes diesel conversion to my truck..:coffee:

Howski
10-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Yeah.. I know what you mean... been thinking about doing a mercedes diesel conversion to my truck..:coffee:

What's it got in it right now?

The Rover Shop
10-30-2012, 07:27 PM
mine has a 200 tdi in it.. but ed has this kick *** mercedes conversion that would fit in mine nicely.. shouldn't be too difficult to swap over one quiet dark night..:wings:

t42beal13t
10-30-2012, 08:09 PM
mine has a 200 tdi in it.. but ed has this kick *** mercedes conversion that would fit in mine nicely.. shouldn't be too difficult to swap over one quiet dark night..:wings:

When you toss out that lowly 200tdi let me know, I would be interested in it.

aka rover
10-31-2012, 04:36 AM

HEHE yea this is going to be trip to remember :friday:

The Rover Shop
11-01-2012, 04:52 AM
Diffs arrived and the whole diff assys are getting new bearings etc.. The carrier bearings were on their last legs but surprisingly not noisy.. Should be done tomorrow ready for reassembly..

grimbo
11-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Diffs are still in Brazilian customs....

So I guess they are shaved ones :D

The Rover Shop
11-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Waxed..

The Rover Shop
11-01-2012, 01:06 PM
And they started wearing a butt floss thong thing...

The Rover Shop
11-05-2012, 04:19 AM
SO I had promised some pics of the relocated rear mudflap..so here they are..this stops the mudflaps from getting caught under the rear tyres when backing up in sand and mud etc...also allows free access for shoving sand ladders under the tyres..

The Rover Shop
11-05-2012, 04:26 AM
And I finally got my Kaiser diffs in from Brazil..Brazilian customs held em for over a week for inspection and then Miami customs held them for 4 days...GRRRRRRR.. so I finally got them and took them off to my diff guy..he had never seen them before but after inspecting them and the theory of operation he was quite impressed..(he is a redneck mudding type but knows his stuff..) so we did the front and it was just fine..bearings were like new and all went together great.. the front is ALOT lighter than the rear..

Installed the GBR 24 to 23 spline front axlesand rebuilt the swivel housings etc.. everything was in really good shape already though..missing one seal for the older larger style front cv joint shafts so will finish tomorrow..

The Rover Shop
11-05-2012, 04:32 AM
the rear salisbury/dana was a different story.. upon disassembly found the carrier bearings were really bad (I don't recall hearing any noise but looking at the bearings this thing shoulda been howling like a tijuana hooker in heat on viagra)..so we replaced all the bearings including the pinion shaft ones and builder was quite happy with it..this diff centre was freaking heavy and it looks like it will survive a bomb blast..

Upon reassembly replaced all the rear brake components and painted the diff..pretttttty.

The Rover Shop
11-05-2012, 04:41 AM
So while she was off the road I went onto x-engineering website and signed up to become a dealer..of course I have to field test all of the equipment I sell so I orderd one of everything that I was interested..unfortunately some stuff that I really wanted was out of stock as they have been inundated with purchases lately and had trouble keeping up with deman..they make some kick *** stuff.. I installed my x-brake system, it gets rid of the parking brake drum brake and replaces it with a disc setup..no more mud to get it caked up with and it dries out much quicker... and is a lot lighter than the original setup..havent tried it yet but am told its 3 times stronger than the original..

After putting the "new" transmission in we had trouble getting the transfer box to go into diff lock...after much searching around and pulling another transfer box apart to understand why we found that it was the diff lock light switch was too stiff and stopping the fork from sliding over..;((.. replaced, adjusted and sorted now..;))

The Rover Shop
11-05-2012, 04:45 AM
Got tired of trying to find suitable power supply in the engine bay to wire stuff to so I ran one power to a 6 gang marine fuse box and now I can take fused power from here..

The Rover Shop
11-05-2012, 04:54 AM
So with any sort of luck she will be finished tomorrow and then I have a couple of hours to put the rack back on and wire lights etc.. (had to pull everything off to get her into the shop and onto the lift..).. a couple of short 500 mile test drives and bed the diffs in and relearn my driving and I will put them through their paces and post my impressions..

The Rover Shop
11-05-2012, 04:58 AM
in the interim I was over picking up some parts from a buddys shop and happened to walk to the shop next door and spied an old mustang sitting in the back unloved..one thing led to another and I picked up one of my dream cars for an absolute song...I am now the proud owner of a 1965 Mustang fastback with a worked 289 and automatic..a genuine numbers matching A code car....very little rust and has been resprayed but she is getting a bullit gt350 restomod makeover done on her as we speak..sweeeeet..

ipgregory
11-05-2012, 05:26 AM
in the interim I was over picking up some parts from a buddys shop and happened to walk to the shop next door and spied an old mustang sitting in the back unloved..one thing led to another and I picked up one of my dream cars for an absolute song...I am now the proud owner of a 1965 Mustang fastback with a worked 289 and automatic..a genuine numbers matching A code car....very little rust and has been resprayed but she is getting a bullit gt350 restomod makeover done on her as we speak..sweeeeet..

Sweet!!

RNPhoto
11-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Jesus... stop buying cars hahaha. Sell me a CT!

The Rover Shop
11-05-2012, 07:47 PM
I don't buy cars... I buy ICONS....cars are regular run of the mill crahpp....for regular folks...LOL...

RNPhoto
11-05-2012, 09:34 PM
haha nice! If only I could justify every one of my vehicles that way....

bobDog
11-06-2012, 03:43 AM
haha nice! If only I could justify every one of my vehicles that way....

LOL:D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

The Rover Shop
11-07-2012, 02:50 AM
I used to have to try and justify them to my wife....now I don't, the NEW wife loves them...LOL...

RNPhoto
11-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Haha so traded the old one in? I'd hate to work for you, never knowing when you'd get bored of me...

The Rover Shop
11-08-2012, 01:05 AM
Depends on the services you are providing..LOL....ewwww..

bobDog
11-08-2012, 01:33 AM
Depends on the services you are providing..LOL....ewwww..

Someones going to provide a job description soon for this to go on.......:D:D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

The Rover Shop
11-08-2012, 12:34 PM
I don't know what you are talking about..I work on rovers and we seem to have to replace alot of the head gaskets on them...he could be in charge of the head gasket replacement section..hmmm, now whats the common term for that job...the guy in chage of the .................double ewwww...

Snagger
11-09-2012, 09:24 AM
The Mustang's going to be great. I love classic cars like that. Please tell me the alloys are going and you'll be getting original wheels all round (I presume the steel wheels that look like Rostyles are original) - otherwise it'll look like something from "overhaulin", a show that wrecks classics on a weekly basis!

The Rover Shop
11-09-2012, 02:17 PM
The wheels on the back are ones from a later mustang that the previous owner put on them.. I do have e original wheels and will be keeping them.. But I will probably be putting the bullet style wheels on it as I want some wider wheels.. Installing tasteful flares and lowering it a bit with improved sway bars and power disc brakes all round and LSD 8 inch rear end.. Stock gearing maybe...and doing some other period mods to it.. It's going to be a restomod. White with the dark blue gt stripes down the centre.. Slimline hood scoop and exhausts coming out the rear valance.. Almost a gt350 clone.. Interior is staying original..currently installing cam gear drive into it, will give it that noise from under the hood that makes any car guy go..wow.. Wonder what's under there..

The Rover Shop
11-09-2012, 02:29 PM
So we finished off (if land rovers are EVER finished) the reassembly yesterday and I did a quick shakedown run, a couple of smell items to tweak and she should be good for a longer run and may take her off road and see if I can get her stuck..new diffs make her drive a bit different, a lot of torque steer initially but I can already feel that getting less, haven't had the terrible noises yet that some others have mentioned when pulling into parking spaces but still lots of testing to do..installed a few x-eng parts too.. Will post pics..

NPB
12-15-2012, 02:05 AM
Beautiful CT. Took me a full day to read through the whole thread, but definitely worth it.

The Rover Shop
02-07-2013, 04:16 AM
Well we now have well over 8000 miles on her and I am pleased to say everything is working well, broke a rear suspension frame mount when I hit a very big pothole going down a mountain pass in Mexico.. Easily welded back on better than new by a local welder.. Spun the centre out of a clutch plate and managed to find a substitute clutch plate in the town we broke it in in the middle of Baja.. Turns out a ford ranger clutch disc is almost exactly the same.. Slightly smaller outside diameter but is still working well... The other day going up some very steep granite rock hill climb (coyote canyon) in a place outside of borrego springs California I managed to rip all 4 engine and trans mounts in half.. Seems the kaiser locking diffs allow me to get so much traction to the ground the mounts were the next weak link to break... Ratchet strapped them in place and headed back down.. All in all it seems the mods are working great, tweaking and refining small bits here and there.. Into 20-30 degree weather so now getting to play with the webasto diesel fire heater ducted into the roof top tent, it's actually too powerful for this kind of weather and we go from freezing in the tent to turning it into a sauna, does great to keep the moisture out though...

REDrum
02-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Not sure what your schedule is like for the summer months, Shayne, but you may want to give this event a little consideration:

http://www.vermontoverland.com/vot/

Would be great to see you and your rig up here

The Rover Shop
02-08-2013, 03:06 AM
Man.. That would be awesome and I know a team mate who would probably do it with me.. I will be heading to Alaska mid year and then over to Vermont but don't expect to be there until September October period...

overlander
02-16-2013, 12:18 AM
,.. Spun the centre out of a clutch plate and managed to find a substitute clutch plate in the town we broke it in in the middle of Baja.. Turns out a ford ranger clutch disc is almost exactly the same..

Hey, M&D Engineering has an uprated clutch disk that fits the Rover TDI flywheel for 2.8 TGV applications like mine. This kit solves this exact problem. I have this new clutch kit in a crate with my ashcroft r380 enroute to me now from UK. They sell their clutch kit on ebay now.

wreckdiver1321
02-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Are you planning to go across Montana during your travels? I'd definitely tag along in my Disco for a stretch

RNPhoto
02-21-2013, 05:42 PM
If you head up to VT for the trophy event you could be my partner!

NCLRbear
03-11-2013, 06:52 AM
Can I ask where you got the cargo net? I really like that idea.

The Rover Shop
03-12-2013, 11:31 PM
No.. You can't ...:).. Actually pm replied to.. Lol..

spikemd
03-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Nice build Shayne. I heard you may be joining the NorCal Rover club while we are in Death Valley. Would be great to see the CT in person. I can't wait to get down there!

The Rover Shop
03-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Yep.. Looks like we will be there.. Heading out that way in the next couple of days..

The Rover Shop
03-29-2013, 03:06 AM
Well after doing 10000 miles or so through Mexico and Baja and Southern California etc we have broken some stuff and decided that other stuff needs to be improved... Going up the granite steps in coyote canyon I sheared all 4 engine and trans mounts in half.. Completely separating 3 out of 4... A quick trail fix by lashing the engine down to the frame got me back out of the canyon..
I managed to find an excellent product by urban offroad who makes some really cool stuff.. These new mounts are internally hook linked so they can only stretch so far and then the metal hooks stop them from coming apart far enough to separate the rubber.. The rubber isn't rubber anymore.. It seems to be made of a more neoprene substance.. These installed right in and seem to be holding up just fine so far..
They do seem to be a little more stiff than stock ones and transmit a bit more engine vibrations.. But instead of having my engine rip out of its holders on a tough uphill climb.. I will make the compromise..

The Rover Shop
03-29-2013, 03:09 AM
Found that on some heavy articulation the front springs would pop out of their holders and rub a groove in the tyres.. So I installed some terrafirma front spring relocation cones..due to my heavy duty shock towers this also meant I needed to install the terrafirma stud plates as they have longer studs to allow easier fitment..

The Rover Shop
03-29-2013, 03:14 AM
Pulled out the coolant operated additional heater that I arduously installed a while ago and installed a webasto diesel fire heater into the section where I had previously installed the coolant one.. I have found that the Diesel engine in cold weather has enou trouble getting up to temperature without an additional heater cooling the engine down.. This way even if I leave the truck parked somewhere I can still be running the webasto and come back to a toasty warm car after many hours.. Also when sleepimg inside the truck in really cold climates we can keep toasty warm all nite long..

spikemd
04-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Shayne, was great to meet you and Sandra in Death Valley with the NorCal Land Rover Club. It was an incredible week and Ella didn't want to go home. Thanks for all the help and good times. We made it slowly to Baker and I bought a used tire to get me the rest of the way home without further issues. Will definitely be upgrading the tires to 32s or 33s now after the sidewall blow out and slow leak in the rear.

Here are a few pics of your CT in Death Valley. I will work on getting the videos uploaded soon.

Near Striped Butte:

Playing in the Dumont Dunes with Chris's CT:

Two CT rears in the dunes:

Stopping for lunch at Newman Cabin on the way to Baker Ranch, made famous by Charles Manson:

The NCLR group at Ballarat stopping for a cold drink with Rocky:

David.gamble
04-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Only just join this site. A truly inspirational thread.

Good luck!

1991LRrrc
06-04-2013, 08:47 PM
any more updates on this very good expedition??

The Rover Shop
06-12-2013, 12:47 AM
Aww heck yeah... Always something new going on with our Camilla... Been on the road now for 7 months or so and covered about 25000 miles on her, been mostly backroads and off roading throughout the USA Mexico and Baja.. Currently in British Columbia on our way to prudhoe bay Alaska, north of the arctic circle... Been a few modification done on the way but for the most part she has been bulletproof reliable with the exception of some teething problems... Currently looking into putting an exhaust brake system on her to reduce brake fade on very long steep downhill systems.. Poor old girl is slowing down a lot of weight and we seem to do a lot of very steep descents.. Snapped another control arm mounting point 300 miles from anything and had to break out the on board welding system to repair it in the forest.. It's been much easier to upload pics and updates on our trip via Facebook ... Very rarely do we have cell signal let alone wifi.. Check us out at Young Rovers on Facebook.

1991LRrrc
06-12-2013, 11:13 PM
this is something that i want to do with my wife just load up in our range rover once i get all done and cruise the world hopefully i can do this with my rangie

1991LRrrc
06-13-2013, 12:20 AM
meant around north america mexico canada and alaska

The Rover Shop
06-13-2013, 02:38 AM
Yep... There's more to the world than North America Canada and Mexico...lol...

bobDog
06-13-2013, 04:52 AM
Yep... There's more to the world than North America Canada and Mexico...lol...
Well YEAH! South America too! Geeeez!

tacr2man
06-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Dont think your exhaust brake idea will add much , other than problems , small diesels dont offer much in that respect, probably cheaper and as or more effective to select a lower downhill gear and put up with being a bit slower . I tried on a 2.25 diesel 109 years back , as it was heavy with drum brakes , not much retardation and destroyed exhaust gaskets . HTSH

repete
06-17-2013, 03:14 AM
I'm sure I saw you going into anchorage today! Not everyday you see a camel 110 driving the streets of Alaska!

The Rover Shop
06-24-2013, 07:37 PM
Going down into Skagway is a long 2-3 mile very steep run, that is where the rear brake shoes got hot enough ( on drum/disc systems the rear brakes are the first to apply, so with light application its the rears that are more activated) that the bonding glue came apart and 2 miles later after they had cooled down the linings spun in the drum causing all sorts of noise and bad vibrations when the brakes were applied, thankfully it didn't cause any further damage but did require that I had to pull the rear brakes apart on the side of the road remove the innards and clamp off the rear brakes, drove another 1000 miles into anchorage to order linings in.. I know an exhaust brake won't stop the vehicle but it may be enough to give enough assistance to take some load off on big down hill runs.. I also had serious brake fade going down some very steep curvy hills in Arizona.. And yes, I have brand new high temp. (Ate racing blue fluid) brake fluid ...I found a small exhaust system brake on Craigslist for $50 shipped, I can activate it with a simple electrically operated vacuum switch, coupled in with a nice bright red light on the dash when on.. I believe it will give assistance to the braking on long down hill runs, if it doesn't I am only out $100 at the most with installation but I will have gained more knowledge and thought outside the box from the people who say it won't work...selecting a lower gear on hills like this one only serves to over rev the engine, diesels don't offer sufficient engine braking on their own.... Hence a lot of trucks have exhaust brakes, jake brake, Jacobs brake, engine brakes etc etc, I have to think that there is something to their ability to aid in braking...or is the whole trucking industry under false beliefs..???

The Rover Shop
06-24-2013, 07:39 PM
And yep... If you saw a camel trophy 110 going into anchorage or surrounding areas... It was probably me..LOL...

The Rover Shop
06-24-2013, 07:55 PM
So the wife was always wanting an easier way of getting water right where she was cooking, and since she is cooking great foods for me I thought it was in my best interests to rectify that.. So from the 7 gallon water container on the rear left of the roof I took a couple of pieces of the plastic threaded pipe and found it fits perfectly inside the roof rack support bar..168892

I attach one of those jiggle valve siphon hoses to the brass coupler on the top and into the water tank, give it a couple of shakes and voila, you have water to the bottom of the pipe and its now easily controlled by a simple tap/valve..the last piece easily is removed and stored in the wife's cook box..

When not being used a simple screw cap goes in and keeps dirt out.. The string is there so the cap just hangs and doesn't get lost... Again...

The Rover Shop
06-24-2013, 08:01 PM
So as us 110 guys know the rear fender is a very delicate area to be destroyed easily, I bought these rear fender protection plates a little while ago.. Well with much modifying to fit around my NAS rear winch bumper we finally got them to fit.. Painted them up and they look factory, now I can brace them to the frame for side impact and they should be very strong..

The Rover Shop
06-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Had a couple of times where the wife was cooking at the back of the truck and light snow or rain was falling.. I wanted one of the rear awnings but the hi-list etc on the back made it unable to be installed plus I am always climbing onto the roof by the ladder to take pics etc... So I went off to Home Depot and got a couple of those cheap extending painter poles.. Zip tied them into place hidden inside the roof rack area and when wanted a simple twist and extend them and then a simple tarp or cover clamps over them providing shelter.. You can also extend it down the sides acting as a wind shield.., they won't hold a great deal of weight but definitely enough for their intended purposes...

The Rover Shop
06-24-2013, 08:44 PM
So a while ago I installed the x-deflex rear stabilizer bar system, this thing has worked great to severely reduce body roll, when I purchased it I installed the extended brackets for use with an extended fuel tank, I haven't installed the extended tank yet so I wanted to raise the system to give a bit more clearance, now it tucks up nicely there and looks a lot better..about 2 inches higher..
The removed brackets are on the ground..

The Rover Shop
06-24-2013, 09:04 PM
I have never been happy with the height of truck as it never was as high as it was supposed to be.. I finally found the problem after many calls back and forth to Australia.. there is a discrepancy with the part numbering for the springs and the ones I installed are not the extreme duty expedition version.. The ones I received have been sagging more and more over the time and its quite a relief to have it "sorted" problem is that the correct springs are not ordinarily stocked here in the USA.. Just waiting for the correct springs etc to arrive at my buddy's place here in Alaska and will install them, then I should have the height I want.. And with the spring spacers also installed It should look as capable as I think it is..lol..

The Rover Shop
06-24-2013, 09:09 PM
I have some very sturdy underbody protection systems installed and on some very steep and rugged terrain where we were in the backwoods hills of the Uncompaghre forest they did their job exceptionally well, I am going to modify them a little to make them just a little bit higher as there is some space to move.. These things are super sturdy but still got bent... I think the boulder we hit that did this it actually broke the whole top of the rock off clean..

The Rover Shop
06-24-2013, 09:13 PM
When we started to get in the extreme cold I needed to have a way to keep the inside of the car warmer, I had an extra webasto system laying around so I installed this one in place of the coolant operated one put here, I will run this through the programmable combi timer that allows you to effectively set the inside temp and it maintains it..
I managed to find a 90degree outlet so now I can duct it up along the roof lining.. And down onto my wife... Happy wife=happy life..

The Rover Shop
06-24-2013, 09:33 PM
I love this pic of my truck.. We were on the northern California land rover club Death Valley meeting.. A most excellent adventure..
We had 3 camel trucks in attendance..

spikemd
06-25-2013, 06:07 AM
Shayne, glad to hear you made it to Alaska. Stay warm.

A few of my videos of your CT110 from the Death Valley trip:

Flying through the Dumont Dunes:
http://vimeo.com/63512571

Navigating Mengel Pass in Death Valley:
http://vimeo.com/63510816

The Rover Shop
06-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Here's a video of my camel trophy recovering a bronco...
http://vimeo.com/63512571

Red90
06-25-2013, 08:19 PM
There should be sufficient engine braking. Slow down and use a lower gear. You should never, ever "need" to use brakes. Seriously. And, yes, I've been to Skagway and descend very long, very steep roads all of the time.

The Rover Shop
06-25-2013, 09:54 PM
And you were weighing in at about 8000lbs..???.. Trust me, I know how to drive.. But thanks anyway..;))

Red90
06-26-2013, 02:38 AM
Yes, 8000 lbs no problem. You just need to find a lower gear. Off road you can find slopes too steep for 1st low, but not on the road.

The Rover Shop
06-28-2013, 06:59 PM
One of my other camel trophy trucks being used in a rollover display in England... This one is my 1995 Mundo Maya truck.. This was with the camel trophy owners club..
This one will get a resto when I get to pick her up when I get there..she is an original 30,000 km (18,000 mile) truck.. She has had a hard life cosmetically though...

El Solis
06-28-2013, 07:33 PM
I know women like that :)

The Rover Shop
06-29-2013, 08:34 PM
Engine exhaust braking system installed.. Now just have to install an electrical switch with a bright red light for when its on on the dash somewhere. That switch will activate a vacuum switch allowing vacuum to activate the exhaust brake .. Not that I think it will ever inadvertently get left on..lol

The Rover Shop
06-29-2013, 08:42 PM
So ever since I installed the suspension system I have not been happy with the way it sits.. It was always sagging too much in e rear and even more on the left rear.. So after many many calls of what I wanted vs what I had gotten I finally straightened it out..installed the correct springs and now I am happy..
Before...

After...
The front is next and it will gain a couple of inches also..

The Rover Shop
06-29-2013, 08:45 PM
So once I raised the brackets on the underbody armour I also needed to modify the tray itself also.. This will give me an extra 3-4 inches in the centre and reduce high centering.. That combined with the new suspension system will be awesome..

The Rover Shop
06-29-2013, 08:55 PM
S I saw a neat and sturdy aluminum table that is very compact and slides into a 1&1/2" cavity under the roof rack but it wasn't available in the size I wanted.. So I did what any self respecting Aussie redneck would do... I made one to the dimensions I needed..
And yes,,its plenty strong..
And I haven't weighed it yet but I can pick it up with my little finger.. The legs lock in place slightly over vertical to add some stability and the square tubing legs are plugged in the ends.. It all folds down into itself and has a total height of just over 1 inch..hinge points are total width aluminum rod in tubing.. I think all up I have about $100 in materials and about the same in sub contract welding.. I don't have an aluminum welder or it would have been even cheaper..

The Rover Shop
06-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Next I need to finish building the slides it slides into under the roof rack..pics coming..

Iain_U1250
07-03-2013, 04:09 AM
Hi Shayne, just finished reading the whole thread, great job and a really nice Land Rover. Loads of great features and things.

I've just about finished getting mine ready, and was working out the weight etc and I expect I'm pretty close to max GVM. Did you ever get yours weighed?

The Rover Shop
07-05-2013, 04:36 AM
Yes.. A little embarrassed to say the fat ole girl is right about 8000lbs.. But that was with 45 gallons of fuel and 30 gallons of water.. So she's on the heavy side..:))

Iain_U1250
07-07-2013, 02:40 PM
That's 3600kg in our measures :Wow1: Sounds like she needs to go on a diet :) :cow::cow:

Do the Camel Land Rovers have heavy duty axles, I know mine would probably bend under that weight, they definitely don't make em like they used to... :)

I'm trying to keep mine just under 3050kg (6700lbs) - which is pretty difficult when we go out on another long trip like we are planning to start next month, 18,000km - ten week trip across the top end then back through the middle of Australia. We have set ours up pretty similar to yours, 127lt fuel + 3x jerry cans, dual battery, solar panel, 110lt water, UHF, Sat phone, fridge, RTT, 33" tyres etc. We also have a SD roll cage and carry a inflatable boat and outboard. Last trip we were hitting the bumps stops regularly, this time we have air bags in the rear and a set of Koni Raid 90 shocks which we will need on the Ann Beadell highway.

Thanks again for sharing your build up thread, some great ideas and useful tips

Mercedesrover
07-20-2013, 01:05 AM
Was walking into Bird Creek off the Seward Highway for some fishing when I saw you go by on Wednesday. Yes, you looked heavy!

bobDog
07-20-2013, 01:57 AM
Yes.. A little embarrassed to say the fat ole girl is right about 8000lbs.. But that was with 45 gallons of fuel and 30 gallons of water.. So she's on the heavy side..:))
You know what they say? "Big bottomed women make the world go around" The old girl is doing just what she was built for...right?
bD

The Rover Shop
07-20-2013, 06:04 AM
Are you talking about my truck or my ex wife..???:))

The Rover Shop
07-20-2013, 06:14 AM
Was walking into Bird Creek off the Seward Highway for some fishing when I saw you go by on Wednesday. Yes, you looked heavy!

Yeah.. Would have been coming back from Homer and on the way to prudhoe bay..been there done that now and off to the Top Of The World Highway.. New suspension installed makes a world of difference in the handling of the extra weight..we were fully loaded with 45 gallons of fuel and 35 gallons of water and it barely makes a difference in her height..

The Rover Shop
08-07-2013, 03:34 PM
So I was driving across Canada and at one of the fill ups I was still reeling from the sticker shock of paying $2 per liter or $8 per gallon, as we pull out the wife says to me, next time we stop I want you to listen to this noise..going down a fairly steep hill I noticed something feeling funny in the rear end as we crossed an old steel grate bridge, we started going uphil and I was looking for somewhere to pull over and inspect when I felt a Big Bang and I noticed one of our wheels overtaking us, I pointed to it out the window so the wife could enjoy the comedy of it also.. Well this was the next time we stopped, whether we wanted to or not.lol..

So I blocked off the rear brakes and we continued... Then driving through Canada I spy the rear end of a defender on a junk yard, so I pulled in and chatted to the guy and found the mother lode... Over 80 defenders being parted out for scrap.. Found a complete rear Salisbury disc brake rear end and front ventilated disc setup.. So found myself a little spot and did the conversion right there and then.. Thank god I stayed as it needed a lot more to convert than I initially thought...in order to change the rear to discs I needed to also change the rear axle drive flanges and drive axles as disc brake sals axles are shorter, I also had to change the brake lines as they were different, so I thought I may as well change the proportioning valve as I know its different for drum vs discs, this required changing the brake line from the pro portioning valve to the rear brake junction..so I also decided to change the master due to different pressures which required changing the booster which required changing the brake pedal box assy as the bolt patterns are different, doing this meant I had 3brake lines coming out of the master instead of 2 so it meant I had to change all of the front brake lines over, this now eliminated one line going to the right front wheel where it tees off and goes around the front under the radiator and then to the left front caliper..so to complete the upgrade I also converted the front to ventilated discs, initially I thought I could just swap the front hub housings over completely I had to put new style discs on the old hubs as there is a difference in hub depths and to change the spindle would have meant changing the axles and cv joints possibly, I already paid good money for heavy duty front axles to retain the better earlier style cv joints and I couldn't be sure they were compatible.. All in all factory bits were used and nothing needed to be butchered and she brakes great..

AndreasN
08-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Hi Shayne, where please did you find that junk yard in Canada?
Yesterday you run into my friend Joelle in Montreal who did a photo of your lady and mentioned me as being a crazy Defender fan as well. May I ask what your destinations are in Canada, specially Montreal aerea and if there is any change for a qiuck come together and at least shoot a phote of our two ladies?
Would be great.

regards
Andreas

The Rover Shop
08-07-2013, 04:10 PM
G'day Andreas... We were actually only in Montreal to go to that pie shop we were at.. We headed out straight after that.. We are now down in Vermont and heading into New Hampshire for a couple of weeks..and then heading up into Maine and possibly Newfoundland etc.. In regards to the defenders he has asked me not to advertise his place as he doesn't want to be inundated with people asking for parts... I am currently trying to work a deal with him and a buddy of mine to go in and purchase a shoot load of spares and parts, so if there is something in particular we may have it soon.. I believe you are doing a defender for Argentina..???

AndreasN
08-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Understand that he doesn't want to give his location. Yes I want to go down to Argentina and Patagonia. My Defender is already specialy prepared for Canada sofar before I shipped it over last year over. It actually onky need a view modifications, like a back door instead of the tail gate, roof rack with tent and a new suspension system as I am exchanging my 200TDI/automatic drive train (only 30T km) with a Madzda 3.5 SLTI engine to get more power for the 3t kg mammut.
So the current drive train I will put soon in here for sale.
Next week I am driving to Durango Colorado for a LR meeting. But maybe afterwards a short meeting in NH or Maine is possible as it is not so far awaf rom Montreal. Lets see who that would work. Until then all good luck.

The Rover Shop
08-08-2013, 01:22 AM
I may have a rear door for you in the pile of parts..a meeting up here might be doable... Are you going to the Vermont trophy challenge..???

JerryYukonMontana
08-08-2013, 01:42 AM
Were you on Route 2 in northern Minnesota recently ? Saw a truck that looked like yours pass by while I was buying a pie from an Amish lady on the side of the road.

The Rover Shop
08-08-2013, 03:51 AM
Yes I was and I think I remember that stand... Almost turned around and came back.. You did a double take and watched us go down the road..

JerryYukonMontana
08-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Well it's too bad you didn't turn around and yea I gave you a wave. You missed some great baked goods. Too bad we didn't meet. Oh we'll, hope you have safe adventures.....

AndreasN
08-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Can't do the Vermount as I am off on Friday to Colorado. Would you mind sending me pictures and price in an PM if you have a door?
thx

David.gamble
10-29-2013, 10:40 PM
What a fantastic thread. You've really given me some ideas and inspiration for my current project

The Rover Shop
11-20-2013, 12:01 AM
Well it's been a heck of a trip and all things worked as they should have.. Had to make a change of plans and come back to take back my shop.. So the next leg into Europe has been put on a bit of a hold.. (Since its winter over there that's fine with me..lol..).. Gives me some time to make some improvements or additions..if I can find any space..lol.. Glad to be of a mental stimulus help to all who have read the thread.. If anyone has any questions I am now back in one locatin and will be on here more often now... Doing a couple of other fun projects with some land rovers now too..

Expedition Ready
06-13-2014, 11:20 PM
Great thread I just spent a few hrs reading the whole thing. We meet at the Overland Expo 2013.

The Rover Shop
07-13-2014, 05:35 AM
So I picked up a complete 3.5 mazda tdi engine with a r-380 transmission behind it with a GKN overdrive behind that also... It's supposed to be scary fast and powerful...would love to install it but I fear I will be getting too far away from originality... Just may have to put it in that 130 expedition truck I've been thinking of doing...;))

4Rescue
07-24-2014, 09:41 PM
So I picked up a complete 3.5 mazda tdi engine with a r-380 transmission behind it with a GKN overdrive behind that also... It's supposed to be scary fast and powerful...would love to install it but I fear I will be getting too far away from originality... Just may have to put it in that 130 expedition truck I've been thinking of doing...;))

Interesting (and very cool)... What engine is that (series etc.), and what's it from originally??? I'm not a deeply knowledgeable Rover guy by any means, but I've never heard of a Mazda TDi engine (other then their new "Sky-active Low-Comp." Diesels) and I've never heard of one mated to an R380 (custom adapter or???). I can certainly also see not wanting to swap it into a REAL CT truck (I mean that's a piece of rolling history), but surely a guy who runs "The Rover Shop" has a truck that could use a power-plant like that aye??? A 130 sounds like an awesome place to put it... I love to see that get built.

Cheers

Dave

tacr2man
07-25-2014, 05:38 PM
The mazda 3,5 is based on a Perkins . They used them in 20seater buses, and 3.5 ton trucks. quite a reliable engine not an outstandingly powerful lump, but due its size puts out more than the rover small diesels .

The Rover Shop
09-03-2014, 12:14 AM
Yeah, it was a fairly popular modification kit done by a company called M&D engineering in England.. There's always a project or 2 laying around that I would love to put that in.. As mentioned I was kinda keeping it to put into a 130 but I recently purchased a 2006 defender 130 with the td5 engine in it and am gonna build that out to the same if not better level as my camel.. There was a couple of places I wanted to go and I just didn't want to cause too much damage to my camel, so I am gonna build a bigger and better vehicle that I am not worried about damaging, this way I can put full outer body protection and modify the body the way I want without worrying about destroying the originality.. And before people start asking.. No, the camel is NOT for sale, I think I will be buried in my camel when it comes time for me to leave this ****ty world..:)).. I think I will install the overdrive unit behind my td5 unit and with a little but of added performance I should be able to get pretty good fuel consumption numbers out of it..

The Rover Shop
11-15-2014, 04:59 PM
While we are still using this truck and it has been seen in the latest overland journal expo coverage we have decided that we needed to make some modifications to our setups that would not be feasible to this truck due to its historic value.. So we are now doing all of these mods and some new and improved ones to our latest rig..a 2006 defender 130 utility box truck.. I have started a thread on this new truck under the heading of .. Prepping a defender 130 for around the world...if you think this one was interesting, wait until you see the next one...:)
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/134224-Prepping-a-defender-130-for-around-the-world