Roofrack mounting on Tacomas

Box Rocket

I have an '03 DC so no gutters and no factory rack or rails on the roof. I know there are Thule or Yakima load bars for this vintage Tacoma, but I'm planning on building my own low profile rack and the load bars will put it higher than I want. However, I'd love to see pics of how the mounting feet attach if anyone has them. I don't want to drill the roof to mount the rack so I'm looking for some ideas on how to build some mounting feet that attach at the doors like the Thule/Yakima feet.

Any help would be appreciated.

austintaco

Explorer
I ran into the same problem after I found a solid Con-Ferr rack that I wanted to mount to the roof of my 03 DC Tacoma. For the same reason as you, I stayed away from the load bar systems. My plan was to use the stock rail system from 3rd 4runners that mount along the seams. Then use defender rack's mounting system for factory rails. However, I used my fun money on buying a flippac, so this stays on the back burner. This system would have required drilling into the roof, but I would have left that up to a professional. In fact, I was going to have a power moonroof installed at the same time. The shop would have put the rails in for free.
I'll definitely follow this thread to see what you come up with.

Box Rocket

I noticed you were looking at something similar as I was searching other boards on this topic. I know I can drill the roof, but I'd rather not do something that drastic if I don't have to. I might have to just do some of my own R&D on some brackets.

austintaco

Explorer
Here is a pic of what I wanted to do:
IMG_0730.jpg

This is on a 4runner, but he's using the same mounting system that I would have used on the Taco.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Well, if you don't want to poke any holes in the roof, you have to clamp, like the Yakima Q-towers do. I would want the feet to index in the grooves. set up the end of the bar to capture a square nut to allow for tightening. You might also consider supporting the basket with Thule/Yakima bars, but rather from the upper rail, rather than from underneath. That would drop things considerably.

Box Rocket

That's more what I'm thinking. I'm going to try to build my own feet rather that use Yakima towers. I need to find a good pad to use underneath the feet so I don't mess up the paint, and the feet would sit on the roof just past the grooves on the roof like you said. The clamps would clamp around the lip for the weather stripping. I need to figure out if I can do that without compromising the seal of the weatherstripping. After that the rest should be smooth sailing. :crosses fingers:

Oh....and I plan on even lower profile than the Defender rack. Might even be a flat tray rather than a basket.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Adam, have you considered feet like the Front Runner setup on my truck utilizes? I cant think of a stronger option and while it would be a bit of a job to fabricate, I think it is doable.

Box Rocket

Adam, have you considered feet like the Front Runner setup on my truck utilizes? I cant think of a stronger option and while it would be a bit of a job to fabricate, I think it is doable.

Yes Kurt. Something like what you've got would be perfect. I guess I was under the impression that the extruded rubber pads you have on yours are difficult to come by. You have any leads for me?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Yes Kurt. Something like what you've got would be perfect. I guess I was under the impression that the extruded rubber pads you have on yours are difficult to come by. You have any leads for me?

I can't think of a source right off but I can only imagine you could find a similar material or something that would work. You could almost some wide weatherstripping with adhesive on one side. While the extruded design is top notch, simpler methods could protect your paint just the same and look clean too.

Perhaps something like this:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/tailgate-weatherstrips-universal/p2008708.jcwx?filterid=u0j1

Some of these could work too?
http://www.metrommp.com/metrocart/PartListByType.cfm?Type=Adhesive Backed Weatherstripping

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I would look into some 3/16 neoprene gasket material from an industrial supply type place. Or silicone, for that matter. Ir look into some HD 1" hose you could cut open and trim out. You can protect the paint further with 1st a couple of good wax coats (not some quick-wipe stuff) and then laying cleat tape down onto the roof, where the feet will sit.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
oops, went to edit my post and deleted it by accident, wasn't important anyway. :p

No, I disagree with you - it was relevant. That is still one of the best home-built racks I've ever seen since you first posted your build. Adam may not go that route but your pics and build will inspire others. Got me thinking again, too. I think you should put it back up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles