Winch Bumper for 2012 Taco

devortex

Adventurer
I need to put a winch bumper on my new 2012 Tacoma. I've always used ARB bumpers because I like the design, they are stout, the winch always fits well and perhaps most importantly, they consider the modern crash/ airbag systems during engineering. Turns out the 2012 has had enough of a facelift that the current 2005-11 bumpers don't fit. They stick out too far and there is a significant gap between the grille and the bumper top surface. I've been in contact with ARB and they indicate that the engineers in Australia are aware of the need for a new bumper but there are no promises with time frame for availability. I guess since the Taco is a NA only truck and the rest of the world gets the HiLux, we're low on the R&D totem pole.

Two questions/ comments for the group:
1. Has anyone mounted another brand/custom bumper to a 2012 yet and are they satisfied with the look and quality. I know that there are lots of really good fabricators out there with great welding skills but are they really using properly engineered designs that will handle winch load, collision impact etc. or are they focusing primarily on looking cool.

2. Are there other 2012 owners out there who want the ARB who are willing to contact them along with me to assure them that there is sufficient demand to get started on the R&D now. They will eventually build the bumper, no doubt, but I wonder if we can convince them to get moving a little faster. It really is a tweak of the 2005-11 design and not a full new product.

I have several expeditions planned in early 2012 and I really want to go equipped with the proper gear and winch bumper is high on that list. Additionally, I'm ready to swap out my suspension but I need the weight on the front of the truck so that the OME heavies don't beat the snot out of me!

upcountry

Explorer
There are many other fabricators out there....demello, cbi, relentless to name a few. Most of the fabricators.can custom fit one of.their bumpers to.your vehicle but they will need your vehicle.

I looked at many options on my 07 taco and decided to go with ARB due to the fact that they seem to be the only aftermarket prodjct that has considered the crumple zone and airbag sensor as part of their design. While others are great designs they have not tested the product to see how it responds to frontal impact.

Why not get the ARB setup and take it to a reputable shop and have them plate fill the gap?

Another factor for me is I have my kids in the car and my wife wanted to know that the design of the bumper was compatible wjth ilother safety features on the vehicle.

Now this is not to say that there are not other bumper designs that are compatible with the vehicles safety features, I just did not find any other than the ARB product.

Last edited:

Doc Foster

Adventurer
I also in search of a winch bumper for my 2012 Taco. I too got the same answer as you from ARB, Aluminess. ALL-PRO at this point was waiting to see if their existing bumper would fit a 2012, as they have not yet had a chance to see how their bumper will match up. I did find a local ARB dealer that said they "fitted" an ARB bumper to a 2012 Tacoma, but had no pictures to see how it looked.
Still searching....., will have to wait, or get a custom?

devortex

Adventurer
The problem with most of the fabricators is......they are fabricators. They can make cool looking designs, mostly the same with mild variations and they can weld nicely. However, these are not properly engineered winch bars that integrate with the collision systems on the truck and have been properly engineered to handle the off-angle loads that often occur while winching. That's why I hesitate to get a custom bumper from a guy who has a flair for design, a smooth hand with the welder and a pile of steel plate behind his shop.

DirectDrive

Observer
The problem with most of the fabricators is......they are fabricators. They can make cool looking designs, mostly the same with mild variations and they can weld nicely. However, these are not properly engineered winch bars that integrate with the collision systems on the truck and have been properly engineered to handle the off-angle loads that often occur while winching. That's why I hesitate to get a custom bumper from a guy who has a flair for design, a smooth hand with the welder and a pile of steel plate behind his shop.
That narrows your search, then. You'll have to wait for ARB (or similar) to finish their design.
The small shop builders may not be able to fund testing.

Hmmm...small shop plate bumpers have been hung on the new breed of smart vehicles for some time now.
I haven't heard of any horror stories related to that, but if I had kids behind one, I might err on the side of caution.

Last edited:

NetDep

Adventurer
I need to put a winch bumper on my new 2012 Tacoma. I've always used ARB bumpers because I like the design, they are stout, the winch always fits well and perhaps most importantly, they consider the modern crash/ airbag systems during engineering. Turns out the 2012 has had enough of a facelift that the current 2005-11 bumpers don't fit. They stick out too far and there is a significant gap between the grille and the bumper top surface. I've been in contact with ARB and they indicate that the engineers in Australia are aware of the need for a new bumper but there are no promises with time frame for availability. I guess since the Taco is a NA only truck and the rest of the world gets the HiLux, we're low on the R&D totem pole.

Not sure about you - but I really do like ARB but and getting tired of hearing, "Well, we have that for the Hilux but not the Tacoma..." Well, I think there are a lot of Tacomas and think ARB should get on the stick!! Make some bumpers, snorkels, drawer systems and such for OUR trucks!!! Sorry - just touched a nerve when I saw your post!! CONGRATS on the new rig and best of luck finding gear!!!

just eric

Adventurer
I agree that a properly engineered bumper is worth the cost and wait that may be required. Not saying there aren't some small shops that "do it right" but my concerns are based on a personal experience. Several years ago I purchased a front winch bumper for my X-Terra. It looked the part and has had decent reviews from others who have owned the brand but my experience left a little to be desired. I was wheeling with a group of guys in eastern Washington in early winter. There was a few inches of snow on the ground so everyone was taking their time on the trails. 3 other trucks and myself decided to leave early and headed back to town. On the last section of dirt I was in the rear of the group and was putting along in 2-H. The guy in front stopped at the base of what was a very slight incline to unlock his hubs. this sucked for the rest of us since there was a layer of ice on the road under the snow and we each took turns sliding towards the bottom of the grade. The second truck slid to the left, the third truck to the right and I was left with the dilemma of deciding which of my buddies to hit. Anticipating ice on the road I had left enough space between myself and the group in front that I had time to call my buddies on the cb and tell them to move. I was literally sliding at walking speed as everyone was looking back at me. I ended up hitting my buddies rear bumper with the right wing of my front bumper. The result was $8k worth of damage to my truck and only a scratch on the plastic of his bumper. My front bumper creased in the middle behind the winch access window and the wing twisted contacting the hood, quarter panel, and light assembly.

Nobody could believe the damage my rig took from such a ridiculously slow collision. I called the fabricator, sent photographs, and explained what had happened only to be told that there was no way I could have been telling the truth. I couldn't believe it either. I now believe that while things can be made to look the part, there is a reason not everyone can earn a degree in engineering.

So for making a long story long.

DirectDrive

Observer
Thanks for sharing that.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Bull bars are often called "damage magnifiers" but one would hope that a plate bumper would be better.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
While it is nice to occasionally come across parts that are actually engineered and tested (ARB), I think it would surprise a lot of people just how many things we use and trust are not "engineered" at all.

upcountry

Explorer
While it is nice to occasionally come across parts that are actually engineered and tested (ARB), I think it would surprise a lot of people just how many things we use and trust are not "engineered" at all.

Or engineered and then not built to spec!!!!

sasaholic

Adventurer
my bumper wasnt tested by a fancy machine, but the two deer that decided to test it for me said that it was mighty strong. i hit one deer at 75 and it did absolutly no damage. the other was only about 30mph and it was just a glance. neither one did anything other that the high speed one took off some paint where a bone must have hit. yes i removed my crush cans, and if i hit another vehicle it is goin to hurt, but im willing to bet my bumper is stronger than any "tested" bumper out there, as i believe just about all the fab shops are.

upcountry

Explorer
Exactly my point.... I don't want it to hurt, my kids that is. If it was jjst me, I would not be concerned but I am responsible for two other lives as well now amd its not just about me anymore!

sasaholic

Adventurer
Exactly my point.... I don't want it to hurt, my kids that is. If it was jjst me, I would not be concerned but I am responsible for two other lives as well now amd its not just about me anymore!

i dont mean that it is goin to hurt me or my occupants, i meant that it is goin to hurt the other vehicle. i was is a head on wreck at approc. 35mph with the other vehicle doin close to the same, my airbag went off but my truck doesnt have a passenger airbag and my girlfriend at the time had absolutly no injuries. i had already removed the crush cans at that time and welded in a solid 2x2 1/4inch wall piece of square tube as a base for my new bumper. that all i had on the front end at the time and we had no injuries other than my hand was hurting like a sob from my airbag goin off at the same time i was honking the horn to allert the other driver. i drove away from the wreck with a cracked radiator, and the other vehicle was totaled and pushed the engine back a couple inches. i put my life my girlfriends life and our 14 month olds life in my hands everytime i drive that truck and i wouldnt want a stock pos tinfoil bumper on it in the event of an accident with them with me.

Nick82

Question about getting an ARB bumper for a 99 to fit a 12' Tacoma

I just lost my 99 Tacoma due to the rust recall. I had an ARB bumper on it for two years so I took it off before I left my truck at the dealership. I am now waiting for the adjuster to call. I hunk I have decided to buy a new 2012 Tacoma double cab. Does anyone know if my bumper from my 99 will fit the frame of the 12. As far as the top gap, I can fix that by welding a top plate onto the bumper. I had also already planed on having it sprayed with xtream liner to give it a clean new look. Also has anyone had their truck bought back by Toyota, if so will they give any extra rebates toward the purchase of a new truck? Thanks in advance Nick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles