Relays and wiring

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Hi gang!

I just acquired a set of Hella 3000 aux lights.

In preparation to wire them up I've been researching relays and they seem straight forward enough but:

What kind of relay should I use?
Relay with Resistor
Relay with Diode
Relay with Resistor and Diode
Relay with Dual 87 Integral Fuse
Dual SPST Relay

Also, if anyone has an idea of what size, in amps, circuit this should be you'll save my brain the calculation! The Hella 3000s have 55w bulbs.

In addition to these lights I have a CB and 2Meter wired direct to the battery as I believe they should be. I also have an Engel 45 powered through the 12v cig plug when I use it. Would it be more efficient to hard wire the fridge? Would a relay be involved here, should I be looking at creating a more complete system rather than adding individual relays one at a time.

Thanks

Brian :safari-rig:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Where can I buy relays and switches?
I went to Autozone, Pep Boys, Napa, Checker, Radio Shack and Fry's Electronics -- Nothing!

The only thing I found was either a lightweight cheepo harness.

Any ideas?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
mcvickoffroad said:
Where can I buy relays and switches?
I went to Autozone, Pep Boys, Napa, Checker, Radio Shack and Fry's Electronics -- Nothing!

The only thing I found was either a lightweight cheepo harness.

Any ideas?

If you want a complete harness, you can buy one from Wil (Sierra Expeditions). I used the Lightforce harness (from Wil) when I installed my aftermarket lights. The harness will work with any set of lights....and takes all the guesswork out of component selection. Kit includes wires, relay, fuse + fuse holder, SPST switch (non lighted), and instructions.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I thought about that but I already have some wiring run through the firewall from teh old set of generic aux lights. The old set did not use relay so this will be an improvement. Running the wires through the firewall is a PIA so I'd rather not do it again.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Usually they will come with wiring, instructions, and a quality relay. There are several ways to set up your Hellas. Driving lights are often set up so that they only operate when the headlights are on, and set to high beam. They way, if you dip you lights, the driving lights go out.

It is relatively simple to set them up, using a I usually buy relays at a REAL auto parts store - not a chain - they overcharge - or switches, wire, and relays (power stuff in general), at a marine store. The marine stores usually have better quality components, like marine grade switches, wire, adhesive shrink wrap tubing, fuses, etc.

If you set your power system up with a dedicated power distribution block -separate from the battery - you're are going to find it easier to manage the wiring of accessories. This will allow you to locate a small blade fuse box near the power posts instead of having in-line fuses scattered around the engine compartment. It also simplifies the addition of accessories greatly.

Amp draw... Watts divided by volts = amp draw. check the wiring chart and select the next size larger than recommended in the amperage and wire run chart.

There is an excellent book on 12V systems by Miner Brotherton - The 12 Vot Bible for Boats - written for boaters, but very applicable to vehicles. Takes you from A to Z on 12V DC electrical systems.

Mike

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I just want a good brick and mortar retail source to buy swtiches and relays.

What is an example of a "REAL auto parts store"?

Thanks
Brian

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
From NAPA "Ignition and Electrical Systems Illustrated Part Guide", 2001:

p/n AR143 - N.C.-N.O.; resistor protected, plastic (?) mount tab

p/n AR204 - N.C.-N.O.; 20A, resistor or diode protected, plastic mount tab

p/n AR272 - N.C.-N.O.; 30A, resistor protected, "Open at 30A, Close at 20A"

p/n AR274- N.O. - 2 switched terminals; 30A, resistor or diode protected, plastic mount tab

p/n AR276 - N.C.-N.O.; 30A, resistor protected, metal mount tab, "Open at 30A, Close at 20A"

There's 52 pages of relays in that book, above are just a qwik sampling of Bosch pattern relays.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
mcvickoffroad said:
Wow!
Napa does not even have one relay on their shelf other than OEM "Flasher" relays.
Plug those p/n's into their online page & see what you get.

Ruffin' It

Explorer
2X on the West Marine route. Their stuff is good quality and there are plenty of options. On your Disco II there is a GREAT place to put a dedicated fuse block (a covered version that has 12 or so ports and is fused) that you can buy from West Marine. If you open your glove box and disconnect the hings so it swings all the way down, there is a perfect little space inside next to where the glove box sits when closed on the passenger door side of the opening. Additionally, there is a grommet right there on the firewall to pass the wires through from the battery without having to run them all over or expose them to heat and the elements. Just attach the fuse block with some good quality self-adhesive Velcro and you have a really nice and easy set-up and is secure and not an eye-sore. When it comes time to add more stuff, just pull the block out and attach the wires. No akward screws to take out and put back in.

It's worked really well for me - so far.

mcvickoffroad said:
I just want a good brick and mortar retail source to buy swtiches and relays.

What is an example of a "REAL auto parts store"?

Thanks
Brian

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Basspro also has this same piece, a 12 port Blue Sea relabeled for Bass Pro. I just picked one up (Blue Sea off the internet) and am about to install it ...

Ruffin' It said:
2X on the West Marine route. Their stuff is good quality and there are plenty of options. On your Disco II there is a GREAT place to put a dedicated fuse block (a covered version that has 12 or so ports and is fused) that you can buy from West Marine. If you open your glove box and disconnect the hings so it swings all the way down, there is a perfect little space inside next to where the glove box sits when closed on the passenger door side of the opening. Additionally, there is a grommet right there on the firewall to pass the wires through from the battery without having to run them all over or expose them to heat and the elements. Just attach the fuse block with some good quality self-adhesive Velcro and you have a really nice and easy set-up and is secure and not an eye-sore. When it comes time to add more stuff, just pull the block out and attach the wires. No akward screws to take out and put back in.

It's worked really well for me - so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles