'04 DC with 235/85 r16

toyota_jon

Adventurer
Here's a few shots for reference. I just put some new 235/85 r16 BFG AT's on the truck. Truck is all stock (for now). No problems with rubbing, and traction has been excellent with the packed snow and ice we've had here recently.

ResizedImage_1323715894233.jpg

ResizedImage_1323715876928.jpg

ResizedImage_1323715857045.jpg

ResizedImage_1323715820541.jpg

Louisd75

Adventurer
Do you have any pictures of it almost straight on from the front that you could post? From the side and with the mudflaps it looks remarkably similar to a 265/75/16 :elkgrin:

esmirna8261980

taco.jpg
this is a 2005 with 5100 all around and coil also adjustable uca the tires are Cooper sts 255/85/16 the rims are toyota baja edition

Last edited:

realjeepsrust

hi, i was wandering how your fuel mpg's are now that you have the 235's on? i put 235 cooper st maxx's on my '01 dc and lost about a 1.5 mpg. thanks

juicebox

Adventurer
hi, i was wandering how your fuel mpg's are now that you have the 235's on? i put 235 cooper st maxx's on my '01 dc and lost about a 1.5 mpg. thanks

You probably didn't lose that much. Are you compensating for the change in your speedo? Use a gps to check your speed, then calculate how much it's off by. I went to 33x10.50's, Mine is off by about 7-8%.

Example, 310 miles traveled, 310 x .07 =21.7 so 310 + 21.7 = ~332

So, if my truck says I've gone 310 miles, I fill up with 18 gallons, that's ~ 17.2 mpg

actual miles traveled - 332 / 18 = 18.4.

On my last trip, I went from Cedar City, UT to Flagstaff, AZ in one tank. When I calculated my mileage from the ODO, it was like 17.5 mpg. Then I got on Google maps on my iPhone, dropped a pin on the map at the exact gas station where I filled up, then at the gas station where I filled up in Flagstaff. I calculated like 19.5 mpg.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1

juicebox said:
You probably didn't lose that much. Are you compensating for the change in your speedo?

Not that he shouldn't compensate for his tire size, but I also lost 1.5 mpg by putting on the Cooper ST Maxx's. I run a TruSpeed Recalibrator on the Tundra and it is spot on at 65mph. I also just read an article on the ST Maxx and the author also noted a mileage loss......

Toyotero

Explorer
Here's a few shots for reference. I just put some new 235/85 r16 BFG AT's on the truck. Truck is all stock (for now). No problems with rubbing, and traction has been excellent with the packed snow and ice we've had here recently.

Jon,

Now that it's been a couple of years, what would you say about your experience with the 235/85 r16 tires and factory suspension?

Cheers.

p nut

butter
Jon,

Now that it's been a couple of years, what would you say about your experience with the 235/85 r16 tires and factory suspension?

Cheers.

Just my input. I had the exact same 235/85's on my old 01 DC. Mine rubbed the frame a tiny bit at full lock. No real issues with running this size tire. Only available in LR E, which some people said would ride too harsh. I didn't find that to be true. It performed ok on and off-road.

What I didn't like:
- Off camber turns were more tippy than a comparable 265/75 tire. Both on and off-road
- No observed MPG gains over 265/75
- I like narrow tires, but I thought they were *too* narrow

Only real advantage to go 235/85 is the cost of the tires. For me, the negatives outweighed the cost, so won't be getting this size tire again.

Toyotero

Explorer
Ultimately, I'm wondering if 265/75/16 will be good w/o suspension life on my 03 DC Tacoma. From the various posts I've read around the internet it seems like its a good fit with no rubbing other than frame at full steering lock.

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
Ultimately, I'm wondering if 265/75/16 will be good w/o suspension life on my 03 DC Tacoma. From the various posts I've read around the internet it seems like its a good fit with no rubbing other than frame at full steering lock.
I ran 265's on my 01 DC with stock suspension/rims with no rubbing or any issues.

p nut

butter

I had slight rubbing at full lock AND compression. No issues commuting/daily driving. They look just right on a stock Tacoma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles